1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue When will Starbound officially support workshop mods on servers?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Zaflis, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Zaflis

Zaflis Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm sorry to be frustrated about this, but it's been so many years and still no answer. Because right now you really can't. There are currently only bad solutions to make that work, and all of them are more like system hacks or scripts you have to run repeatedly or client and server stop being in sync. Why does one have to be a programmer to play the game with friends??

See this "most popular" guide for example:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735510285&tscn=1559498121

It would be so easy if we could just include the workshop path ( for me that is "D : \ Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\211820\" ) in sbinit.config. But that never worked. Why? Propably because all the mods in it are with same name "contents.pak", i assume it already opens subfolders, the server log verifies it opens lots of mods.
    What ever the case, only you (devs) really know what's going on with it and i don't want to speculate.

What i do know is that i can make a server with all the workshop mods working, when i make a folder like this:
    mods_folder.jpg
    That meant copying each individual contents.pak file and rename it with unique name, i chose to use its workshop ID i could copy-paste. And when the mod updates (which i can never tell until things break), i can go compare file dates and copy that mod over again.

And that part is what you can make a manual script to do automatically... or somehow virtual link the files as different names, which may have other various side-effects in system.

So please, solution. We have waited long enough i think. This is not just a singleplayer game!

Also the sbinit.config should be consistent between client and server started from Steam's install folder. If it doesn't include traces of workshop mods, then client shouldn't find them either.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019