1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's YOUR playstyle? Share with us!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Seria-Myouna, Jun 16, 2013.

1. HoneyBadger115

HoneyBadger115 Master Chief

I've put ~60 hours into the game so far, and my favorite race right now is Avian, as they're just aesthetically pleasing to me. My most memorable character is the one I use right now, an Avian in Sector X, with Toucan armor, working on Macaw. On this one, I kind of took a gradual progression, working towards a defined goal for the majority of the time. However, once I got around Beta Sector in progression, I set up a home base with a very nice house and a lot of decorations, with a large farm just outside it. My favorite biome is jungle, as jungles offer abundant supplies of plant fibres, and my favorite weather effect is regular rain, with my least favorite easily being acid rain (that stuff makes me cry qq). I thoroughly enjoy mining, as just digging down will almost always bring you to a very large and sprawling cave that easily offers a half hour adventure. However, I also enjoy the building and farming aspect, but I just wish the way trees work were more defined. I predominately play single player, and on the few occasions I do play multiplayer, I just fool around, rarely attempting to make progress. I prefer two-handed large weapons, like broadswords and hammers, but I'll use the weapon that deals the most damage at the time, as long as it has an arced swing path, like axes. I put ~150 hours into Terraria, and my goal is to beat that with Starbound, so I have another 100-some-odd hours left.

Seria-Myouna and anemonymous like this.
  2. Fawkzy

Fawkzy Void-Bound Voyager

1. What race(s) do you play predominantly, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    Human. Because I am Human.
    2. What did you do with your first character (Or at least your most memorable one)? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    I slaughtered the Kluex fanboys.
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    Mining minerals and create tools with them to mine even more valuable minerals with.
    4. Do you play with other people online? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    No.
    5. How many hours have you played so far? Are you waiting for a particular feature to come out to play some more?
    Steam says almost 70 hours overall. Also I'm waiting for Hylotl villages occuring more often.
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Do you fight everything you come across? What is your favorite tech item?
    Ranged. Self-defense. Targeted Blink.
    7. Do you have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around building impromptu shelters as needed? What biome do you enjoy the most and why? Do you have a favorite weather effect?
    My small Impervium ship is my only base. And I enjoy the forest biome the most, with a red sun shining on it.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  3. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Hylotl, simply because they look cool and I love Japanese culture. =3
    2. I just try to build an awesome base on my home planet and find the best gear. Blame Borderlands X3 I just want sweet loot!!
    3. Mining is fun, mainly because there are always cool things and treasure to find underground.
    4. Meh, I`ll get into Multiplayer when I feel ready to. But I do like multiplayer servers when there are awesome people on =3.
    5. I have about 115 Hours in and now I`m just eagerly awaiting the next big update. I do however participate in nightly beta =3
    6. Melee mainly. Always been a fan of big swords =3. But ranged weapons are awesome.
    7. I do have one "Main Base" and its what I mainly work on and store all my stuff on, but I do smaller bases in higher level systems for fun. Like my Asteroid Field base =3

Thanks for asking =3.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    Seria-Myouna likes this.
  4. TravellingMan

TravellingMan Void-Bound Voyager

1. What race(s) do you play predominantly, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    - Human! The other races are great, but something about the humans appeals to me more.
    2. What did you do with your first character (Or at least your most memorable one)? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    - I set out to be a Pokemon master. And I came nowhere near close.
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    - "to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."
    4. Do you play with other people online? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    - Yes, on a small whitelisted server.
    5. How many hours have you played so far? Are you waiting for a particular feature to come out to play some more?
    - A little over 200, with about 30 more hours spent 'Tinkering'.
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Do you fight everything you come across? What is your favorite tech item?
    - I prefer to use a particularly damaging Rifle I've found. I've often found that certain situations are best solved by the better part of valour, which makes butterfly boost immensely useful.
    7. Do you have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around building impromptu shelters as needed? What biome do you enjoy the most and why? Do you have a favorite weather effect?
    - I tend to travel, never really setting down in one spot. Sometimes, if I have enough stuff, I build a storage house on a planet. My favorite biome is absolutely crystal, but ground fog or light rain is my go-to weather effect.

Seria-Myouna and HoneyBadger115 like this.
  5. EternalNightmare95

EternalNightmare95 Orbital Explorer

1)Hylotl,Avian.Glitch or Floran. I think they are the coolest and i think up very cool names for them.
    2)RUSH EM ALL,get from no armor to Aphotic Armor in less than 3 days.
    3)Mining,treasure hunt,explode stuff,break stuff with XNS Corporation Mech mod.
    4)Used to,with friends.
    5)190+,waiting for one with more bosses and dungeons with actual loot.
    6)Gun,Melee,techs are,from best to worst,top 3:Glitch Mech Tech,Bubble Boost,Rocket Jump
    7)I will build one in the future,magma because its challenging to get around,meteor shower or acid rain.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Seria-Myouna likes this.
  6. Genderless_Neko

Genderless_Neko Space Hobo

1. FLORAN! Because they are exotic and asexual. I also like the idea of being a plant race, as it's a rare race in my opinion.
    2. Built a shelter, then activated the distress signal only to find out that building a shelter on your first home world was pointless! I then did the exact same thing at the next sector.
    3. Building and farming. I don't understand why farming is something i enjoy, i guess my OCD likes to do "house hold maintenance" Buy farming crops and everything.
    4. Nope, single player.
    5. 57 Hours, all on the Angry koala update. I'm waiting for the next big update and when i have spare time to start all over again, my current save is... buggy.
    6. Melee, dual swords with a shield that i can quickly switch to. I haven't tested out the new combat system, but almost everything can be taken down in one dual swipe.
    7. Not really, again my current save is buggy and i have a sector 7 character stuck on the alpha base. But i have my ship ^-^. I like desert to be honest, the sand makes mining easy and the ground is flat and makes glass.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  7. Volitaire

Volitaire Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I predominately play the Glitch. I mean, what's not to like? (For me at least) They're androids stuck in medieval times, it's a backwards concept but I haven't seen it done before. Needless to say, I quite like it! The other races that stick out to me more are the Humans, and Novakids. Albiet, I haven't had a chance to play them.
    My most memorable character, is my current one, funny enough. I've gotten the farthest with this character and I'm quite fond of his design/name. It being Ulysses. I decided to try and get as far as possible, and see what the later sectors have to offer. I'm currently in the third sector whose name escapes me.
    [​IMG]

Treasure hunter/Explorer. I like seeing the different outposts, temples, labs, and enclaves strewn about the different systems. A new find gives me that fresh feeling.
    I'm alone most of the time. On the off chance I can play with others I do! I have two friends who play Starbound, though I tend to not get them to join me in my ventures. They're not as... Enthusiastic about the game, as much as I am.
    Well, checking my overall time on my Steam overlay I've played... 69 hours. (Shut up.)
    Most of these hours can be traced to my recent sessions, I've had this game for quite a while, well into earlier this year. But because of the lack of features from the earlier versions I waited out for a bit. This current version is keeping me quite content. As far as features go... I'd like to see the Novakids. The thing I'm most curious about.

Mmmm, well. I always loved Machine Pistols and Broadswords/Spears. I usually buy two machine pistols from a Pirate and dual wield them. Tapping left and right in rapid succession to utilize the best rate of fire. It may not rival the ridiculous speeds of a pulse rifle, or Avian blaster but the speed/damage is very pleasing. Plus it looks cool! Onto what I do fight, I only bother it if it bothers me. Tech? Hm... Gravity bubble. I love floating about in an electric bubble. I hope new tech will be introduced soon.
    Generally, I try to make on "main" base per sector. Cutting my loses and taking what's necessary into the next. If I'm not willing to use up resources I'll look for a shelter made by a NPC and take it over, and fill it with my bearings. As far as biome... I guess I like the forest biomes best. Many trees to cut down for wood/coal. And I always appreciated forest settings. Weather effect? That's a hard one. Those strange... Star storms? I've only seen them a few times before. It's like these small stars that fall from the sky. Similar looking to the magic missiles in Terraria.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Seria-Myouna likes this.
  8. Bronze Dog

Bronze Dog Starship Captain

1. So far, I've just played Avian, but my next character will be Hylotl. Aside from liking the appearance, I can identify with being a Grounded since I'm an atheist in a very religious part of the country. I also like Hylotl since I like the Japanese style and water. Amphibians are also an underappreciated branch of the animal kingdom.

2. With my first character, I climbed the tiers fairly quickly and then went around the center of the Sector X map looking for towns, structures, and furniture to build a home base.

3. I like to build, but sometimes having a blank canvas gets paralyzing. So can the prospect of a character/map reset due to the inevitable update. While I'm waiting for Rampaging Koala, I'm hoping to get a plan together, rather than build haphazardly. (Anyone got suggestions on where I should post about it? I'd like to get feedback and hear other people's ideas.)

4. Right now I've only played single player, but I'm open to suggestions for public servers with roleplay.

5. I don't know how much I'll play, but I can get pretty deep into a game when I'm enjoying it.

6. I'm very much a melee person, favoring broadswords, and the combat overhaul looks like it'll make it more interesting. I'll avoid fights if I think I can, though, since I'm usually more focused on exploring and building. But when I'm clearing out a hostile site, I'm thorough about it. My preferred tech right now is the simple pulse jump. (That's the double jump one, right?)

7. I prefer to maintain a main home base, but I plan on building some off-world structures for RP/flavor purposes. My current favorite planet biome is desert, but I'm also looking forward to ocean. I have considered building bases on moons or in asteroid belts, but I might wait until structures can provide air. I like deserts with sandstorms just to give you the feel of being on such a planet. For others, I like the glowing rain.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  9. wallespider56

wallespider56 Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Ive at least tried all the other races but soo far Hylotl is my super all-time favorite race. I love there story and it helps that i love marine life and Japanese culture.

2. I like to have a story attached to my chararchter. The most memorable was Mr.Hippiefish (won't put his entire name down those are the first 2 parts) His story is he lived on a hylotl planet called Sorohk but he was exiled because of his untraditional ways like eating MEAT and also new ways of doing old things.

3.I tend to be very slow-going in moving from one tier to the next but i enjoy all of it. One of my first plans is finding two different tree types preferably one vine tree and one wood tree like the metal sakura tree. Then i find the perfect planet in like the first sector or so and build a MASSIVE tree farm that blocks out the sun and moons and also try to make a really nice looking house/ dojo.

4. Vast majority of my playtime was in single player but i played multiplayer with at least 1-4 of my friends.

5. In total ive played about 109 hours in the game although ive never gotten to the 4+ tiers on my own yet. Im SOOOOO excited for the new progression update and cant wait for all the new merchants and quests and mobs. Also im gonna completly freak out when there will be a way to at least 3D print the shoji screen block beacause i would finally be able to build a sort of dojo :hylotl: Also i have had the game since the very first release of it when everyone who pre-ordered the game got the game

6. I tend to go for a mix of both melee and range when i need it. Melee wise i almost always immediatly craft 2 small katanas on the anvil unless i find a weapon thats better. Rangewise i love bows and guns and im always so happy when i find guns :hylotl:

7. Like i said on my number 3, I like to find 2 tree types one vine and one that looks like a sakura or pine tree. When i find a planet i make a MASSIVE tree farm that blocks out all celestial bodies for at least 100-200 blocks out from where i started. I then go and find furninture items like cool looking chairs and bottles and thrones and i get to work trying to 3D print them and place them somewhere in my house/dojo. https://twitter.com/wallespider56/status/477622884114763776 this was one my first and best builds :hylotl:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    elusiveTranscendent and Tamorr like this.
  10. joaorafaelrr

joaorafaelrr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would like to visit your dojo and train kendo with you my friend... kkkkk
    Hugs from Brazil ^^

11. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Like many people, I have tried all the races, and my first was a Floran. My character that I play with now is an Apex, and Apexs are my favorite race. They're extremely intelligent, which is what i like most about them. I don't really farm any food, as many meals come from looted villages or settlements. I travel alot, usually looking for villages or dungeons on the surface to loot, however I do like to get through each sector quickly so I can get better gear. I do have a main base, conveniently located near an avian village, but sometimes I have to leave one base behind and move on to another planet. I've never played multiplayer, and have spent 52 hours playing the game. I prefer melee, and I don't kill everything I see because it will probably kill me first. And thats about it.:lolwut:

12. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Void-Bound Voyager

For this I have a poem:

Across a sea of stars I leap.
    Down I go to mine the deep,
    The riches there are mine to keep.
    When monsters near, their souls I reap;
    In deathly silence, alone I sleep.

I usually play Florans. When I was a kid a friend and I would play pretend at alien races and I was always a race of sentient plants with tendril-like vines for arms and legs. Good times.

I currently have 81 hours under my belt and despite most of my friends having Starbound, I play alone :(

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  13. Bizarre Monkey

Bizarre Monkey Big Damn Hero

Apex Master Race duh what else would a dude known as Bizarre Monkey even play? (psst, I totally play humans and Glitch sometimes.)
    I killed everything that looked at me funny, but then also everything that didn't look at me funny. Basically I was just a mass murderer.
    I pillage raid and plunder every damn settlement I come across and then find a nice cave on a 'home planet to hoard it all in like i'm a dragon or thief.
    No. I'd just end up killing them, anyway!
    201 hours. If Steam is to be believed. But yes, I am waiting for a game to arrive before I play again. Heh.
    Melee, either with duel-swords or big hammer. I fight everything i come across that doesn't spawn in excess. (i.e., dungeons, npc villages are barren before I'm done) Favourite tech is double jump, so far. I feel skyrail could be, if it wasn't so costly to build and was more dynamic.
    I just use my ship as my base, like, it's not stuck on one planet and it's guaranteed I'll be there at least 25% of the game. Sometimes i do decide to build something, though. So far my favourite biome is the Asteroid field just because it's so different. Weathers effects, i'd have to say firestorm... mainly because it reminds me of the reckoning.

14. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

1) So far I've only played as an Avian character although I have a strong suspicion the Novakid will be my favorites whenever I eventually get to play them....either in the next stable beta release or in the 1.0.
    2) First character I was in a rush to get fuel and get my ship going but but mostly my mission was purely to explore and unlock new areas.
    3) I usually just wonder around looking for dungeons and NPCs and loot. Not too much mining but I do wonder in if I see a cave entrance I think might lead somewhere. Mostly I don't dig too far down but it depends.
    4) No.
    5) No idea bout hours, guessing about 20 but not sure. I'm mostly waiting for 1.0 now because apparently all my mods will be trashed so I feel bad playing with them knowing they'll be gone, which is a bit bitter right now, but hopefully most of them will be updated to work with the release version.
    6) I mostly play ranged and I don't usually fight everything unless I am hunting for a specific drop like monster plates or whatever. I don't fight peaceful NPCs on purpose, I shot some by accident while fighting monsters and had to kill them but otherwise I don't attack.
    7) I use custom ship mods so my ship is my base and I always build it and alter it and expand it. Probably not what you wanted to hear but there you have it. In the final game I'll likely have a home planet with a supermassive base but I'm not putting the time and effort into it now knowing I'll lose my saves.

15. Niner-7

Niner-7 Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Glitch. C'mon, they're freaking robots! Gotta love that, right? Apex have interesting lore tough.
    2. I mined until I was too OP for that sector/threat level and then continued to te next one. I rushed upgrades as soon as I could and put everything in my ship. I had only 1 base, for farming. I extended it after I got the doop lord armor and the iDoom.
    3. I am a true miner, but also can't get enough of setting up tiny campings and stay on a planet in search of USCM bunkers and apex labs.
    4. No.
    5. I try not to play as much until the next update. Then I continue playing like a beast. Unless ore drops on death don't get removed. Then I will abandon Starbound forever.
    6. I am a true melee in Terraria and Starbound, and I used gravity bubble until I got butterfly boost.
    7. I have one home planet with a bunker and a built-in lab. Every day I am scared of planet or ship wipes.