1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's YOUR playstyle? Share with us!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Seria-Myouna, Jun 16, 2013.

1. shaadisankalp

shaadisankalp Space Hobo

1. Human, fits my lore character.
    2. I'll go at a medium speed, not too fast, not too slow.
    3. I would love to explore dungeons, like indiana jones, but I kill everyone in my way
    4. I'l play on a small server with my friends for my main character, and I'll have an alt on a server with a lot of people.
    5. I'll probably play this game until x64 emulators don't even work anymore.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  2. masteredwood

masteredwood Void-Bound Voyager

1. Glitch is my go to normal race of choice. I really enjoy the medieval robot angle. I find myself using the Avali when i play with mods however. Apex and Hylotl don't really have a theme i find interesting to play. I am indifferent to Avian, Human, and Floran.
    2. I rushed through tiers, until i could survive on the moon, before building a base.
    3. On normal plays, I scan surfaces of planets, until i find the correct one to build on. I try to build a small community and farm up from nothing. I try to find a harsh and deadly planet as my home, because i like the challenge of contesting with monsters.
    4. I play on big servers when applicable, but tend to only interact with a small group of friends at a time while there. People being able to destroy your hard built base with PVP off discourages me from being social.
    5. 145 hours. I am currently waiting for the Farming and building progression tiers to come out, before playing more.
    6. I like big knock back zoning weapons; low damage is acceptable if they are kept at bay with ease. my tech item of choice is gravity bubble; being able to hover with ease is a must.
    7. I like to keep a single main base; occasionally i build outposts, but there few and far between. I tend to gravitate to forest biomes when Glitch, otherwise I pick arctic as Avali. I am indifferent to most weather effects, but I HATE LARGE METEORS; there needs to be away to protect your base from that, because it just wreaks your roof/top floors every time.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  3. ArchieTheMuffin

ArchieTheMuffin Tentacle Wrangler

1. I am a floran, always.
    2. I usually prefer tech, though recently i have been going with my Floran roots.
    3. I RP alot.
    4. I never stay in one place, i use up fuel faster than i can afford.
    5. My ship is my home.
    6. This is me :3 http://i.imgur.com/6iHQLuS.png

SirKaldar and Seria-Myouna like this.
  4. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Floran Bard? Nice. Makes a great RP char.

5. nightclaw

nightclaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. What race(s) do you play predominantly, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    Avian, because given my fursonality is a bird, it's only fitting.
    2. What did you do with your first character (Or at least your most memorable one)? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    I remember digging a hole from lava to just in front of the bowspirit of a flying ship, and jumping from the ship into the hole and doing a canonball into lava.
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    I hit the things with the big sharp thing.
    4. Do you play with other people online? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    No.
    5. How many hours have you played so far? Are you waiting for a particular feature to come out to play some more?
    Too many, honestly. I'm waiting for an actual story, because lord knows the game needs one.
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Do you fight everything you come across? What is your favorite tech item?
    hit the things with the big sharp thing.
    7. Do you have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around building impromptu shelters as needed? What biome do you enjoy the most and why? Do you have a favorite weather effect?
    Personally, I just chuck everything onto one shelves in my ship, as far as biomes, I prefer snow, because *snow*.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  6. Sephy_Rhoads

Sephy_Rhoads Tentacle Wrangler

1. What race(s) do you play predominantly, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?

I love all of the races! They are all so unique. However, I particularly enjoy being human. This game allows so much more character customizing than Terraria, for example. I was able to make my character, Captain Rhoads and I was able to make Lady Sephy.

2. What did you do with your first character (Or at least your most memorable one)? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?

My first character in Starbound I made back in December. His name was Captain Mendax. I rather enjoyed playing him. It was a slow start, but I played for hours each day. Whenever I was done with school, I would log into Steam and play. Everything was a mystery. I usually wandered from planet to planet raiding USCM Penal colonies and tech bases finding loot. My most memorable character was Cpt. Rhoads though. I play him constantly. He is a traveling musician. Right from the get-go I was wandering the galaxies and sectors. I did have a solid base though where I kept all of my farming things (he's a vegan :rofl:).

3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?

I love both! Mining is so satisfying, and fun because treasure hunting is incorporated with it. I could just be digging, and then all of a sudden I find a cave and fall 500 feet into the ground!! I wander a bit and find this weird frog merchant guy and a chest with a gun in it. What an adventure! Its hard not to play obsessively...lol

4. Do you play with other people online? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?

I wanted to join an RP server with Captain Rhoads (I love roleplaying him!) but for the most part I just play on a small server with a few friends when I'm feeling social. However I started out playing SB by myself for quite some time.

5. How many hours have you played so far? Are you waiting for a particular feature to come out to play some more?

Currently, I have played about 150 hours. I intend to keep playing :rofl: Its hard not to play it all the time.

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Do you fight everything you come across? What is your favorite tech item?

I really like ranged, and I often use guns. However, at the higher end I am confused on why suddenly guns aren't very powerful anymore...I had to resort to a two-handed spear.

7. Do you have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around building impromptu shelters as needed? What biome do you enjoy the most and why? Do you have a favorite weather effect?

I really like the snow biomes a lot, but the jungle is my absolute favorite biome. I do have one main base, but I also grow food, have chests and crafting items on my ship for emergencies (robotic crafting table, metalforging thingy, etc). I do not think I have a fav weather effect though...hehe

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  7. grand ssspace hunter

grand ssspace hunter Void-Bound Voyager

1. Floran all the way. I like my plants ungendered and my foliage on point.

2. My first character I was mostly just exploring alpha and beta universe. Didn't bother with any bosses past the penguin for ages cos I figured it was all getting wiped soon anyway.

3. I like exploring, mining in fine sand and gravel, digging a hole in the bottom of a pond so all the water flows out, and beating up the bushes on jungle planets for hella plant fibre.

4. My friend had a server for a while but we didn't use it much at the time so she stopped paying for it so atm I'm a lone wolf.

5. Steam says 194 hours, but think how much of that was spent waiting for ore to smelt, or idling while reading the wiki!

6. I almost always play melee in any games, and playing a floran makes sense with my usual brute force attitude.. I keep a gun on me but I've been dual wielding a couple of swords lately. If I keep em going they seem to block some bullets too. As for tech, pulse jump, all day

7. All my essentials are on my ship, but I do have a planet in beta universe that I've built some smaller structures on. A properly planned out base is in the pipeline but I'm waiting for the Ideal Planet. Probably jungle or tentacle biome, and some shooting stars would be nice.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  8. SirKaldar

SirKaldar Star Wrangler

I play Floran, because Ssstab Ssstab Sstab!!! Although I have tried all the races, Apex and Glitch are probably my next favorites I don't mind Avians and Hylotl. But I find Humans too vanilla (still didn't stop me having a "Phillip J Fry").

My first Character was a Glitch "Rey Clank", I took over a Glitch Castle by killing all the Glitch Knights in Honorable duels.

With my current main Character "Stabblade", (seen to the left :p) I tried mining an asteroid field because I thought it would be easier to pick the minerals I want, and avoid enemies. For some reason I really enjoy doing it, and even set up my ship just for the purpose. I keep all my ores in one locker, and when it fills up I smelt half of it into bars and put it into another locker. I never run out of pixels, and whenever I want to make things I just figure out how much ore or bars I need to refine. Eventually I want to build a Base in an Asteroid field, and set up a Pixel Factory with lots of refineries.
    Other than that exploration, I am on a Quest to find ALL the Lore Books in the game.

I have played with a friend on a private server, and may try a public one at some point

I got a little bored around the 300 hour mark, but I am getting back into it (currently 333 hours). Not waiting for anything particularly, but this new combat system, the new progression, Human "towns", Hylotl structures, more lore (especially regarding Agarans) would all be welcome.

SSSTAB SSTAB SSSTAB!! Not even a question for me, in all games if I can stab it or bash it rather than shoot it I will. Fire is good too :D
    I fight everything when I am in the mood and nothing when I am not.
    My favorite tech Item is the Mech, it's not too useful at endgame but it is definitely the favorite.

"And the road becomes my bride, I have stripped of all but pride, so in her I do confide, and she keeps me satisfied", to quote the chorus and explain myself completely "Rover, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, Call me what you will", I can't stay in one place too long and my ship is a mobile home. I know I talked about building a base in Question 3, and I really want to, but I would be very surprised if it ever happened. Back when I played Minecraft a lot I would move about every few days, build a log cabin with a small farm and workshop then mine for materials, and move on and do it all again.
    Favorite Biome is Forrest or Jungle, just like the aesthetic.
    Favorite weather effect, storms because I like building rain catchers and channeling water about. Not for any purpose I just like to watch the water physics.

Seria-Myouna and macodelo like this.
  9. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

Glitch, I just like the robots, and their lore is the most interesting to me. I also really like the Florans, but I just don't want to play as a plant.

My first character was a bit of a power up through a tier, once I can't do anything new, fight boss. Rinse and repeat. I spent plenty of time hoarding and exploring however, I also built massive fortresses on each planet I lived in long term. Which for me means, any planet without meteors that I decide to mine a lot on. I loved finding underground ruins, and treasure, even if I didn't use half of it.

I mostly like to explore every planet I can, bringing back loot from dungeons, and digging for ores, and treasure. When I am not traveling I farm on my home world, fortifying it and mining out a tunnel system to take me to various outposts, and to make it easier to navigate below ground. I just love bringing a world into a state of being under my control.

I play alone, or with my girlfriend when we both are in the mood. Mostly I play alone.

Not as much as I want to but a lot more than steam says. Likely a few hundred hours now.

I like duel wielding for melee, and a fast ranged weapon when I can get it. A melee and ranged weapon, one in each hand is often how I clear dungeons. For a tech I prefer dash. It just seems to be what I find most adaptable to any situation.

I prefer to have a main base, with several smaller bases on any planet I decide I want to mine around on.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  10. Koruchan

Koruchan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I generally find myself playing Hylotl or Floran. I plan to try Novakids when beta phase 3 hits. I love how the Florans are the opposite of the usual expectation that plant people should be peaceful, nature-loving beings. Instead, Florans are vicious scavengers. And meat eaters, on top of that. I love the Hylotl due to their asian theme. That, and I'm surprised how nice the Hylotl actually look. I was afraid when I heard "fish people", but the designs are quite nice.

My main character is one I primarily run with a friend of mine. I have a tendency to avoid combat when able. I've always been more of an explorer, builder, and farmer. As such, my friend is usually the muscle while I do a lot of the building and farming to keep our bellies full.

I am definitely a builder and a farmer. I love farming up things and cooking loads of food, even when we don't need food. The more variety I can create, the better. What's the point in a bunch of recipes if you don't bother to try to make a bunch? I also love going out and collecting as much swag from dungeons and outposts as possible and decorating different rooms in my base based on differing themes from the items I've collected. As stated above, i'm not much of a fighter.

I play using hamachi with another friend of mine. I don't tend to get on servers.

I forget how many hours by this point. As for particular features, I am really looking forward to Novakids and upgrading our spaceships. I'd really like the ability to sell crap you don't need anymore for pixels but we'll see if that ever becomes a thing.

I prefer the style where I don't fight at all. lol! No, but if I'm absolutely required to fight something, I prefer to stay at ranged. The further I am from an enemy, the better. When playing with the friend I mentioned, he tends to be melee and I stand back and use whatever the highest level bow I can make is at the time and pelt the enemy from a distance with arrows. My favorite tech is the double jump one. Simplistic but effective. Though it's annoying when I make a new character and go to do that jump only to remember I don't have it on that character yet.

I tend to like to stick to one main base. Since I can't upgrade my ship yet and make it an ultimate base of operations, I instead set my home planet to one I really like and make a huge base with all my junk in it. The only time I break from this is if I'm on a snowy planet and I don't have anything to regulate my temperature. I'll generally make a very warm mini-shelter to come back and forth between during my stay, but it's generally a primitive base with very little in it.

My favorite biome is the jungles, but only with normal water, I HATE acid water. My main Hylotl has a large base on a very wet jungle biome, since I couldn't find another biome for her that had lots of water for theming. My favorite weather effect is simple rain. Very soothing, as long as it's not acid rain.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  11. Wil45673

Wil45673 Void-Bound Voyager

Well i am a floren and when i stared i exploded for places looted them and then went on when finished went to another planet i like to lot thing and then kill everyone and everything around me i dont play with people online i like to attack is short ranged but when i get better i will be long ranged and use a gun i have a big base and then go to planet to planet without building a house because its not my home planet.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  12. kaluce

kaluce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. The Glitch. Just happen to like the robots. No race doesn't appeal to me, but the glitch was my first character, and I stuck with it.
    2. He was wiped after a little less than 4 days play time. I was just learning how to do durasteel.
    3. I installed mods to add stuff to the game, vitality is the spice of life added to the planets, industrialization and Starfoundry added stuff to build and do.
    4. not really.
    5. according to my steam time "226 hours" but some of that time was me leaving the launcher open overnight.
    6. combat is boring, so I rush through it however I can quickest. I only fight everything if I need px quickly. My favorite tech would be the mechs, but the damage doesn't scale, so after tier 3 it's worthless.
    7. I usually make my base my ship. now that you can set a home planet, I have a farming colony, as well as an industrial base that I'm using.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  13. Maks2123

Maks2123 Void-Bound Voyager

1. Human. Because I'm one so everything alse woul'd make me feel strange
    2. (it was first beta) get wood as crazy and build a base, then take it and build elswere and get my a** kicked by Lvl 4 mobs.
    3. I like building cities and settlement's but I don't do this in last time because of a bug wchich reset's randomly world's (once it reseted me A FU**ING COLASAL HUMAN CITY MADE OF 17 SKYCRAPERS (or so , you know the big modern towers) AND ONE HAD 125 [!] FULL DECORATED FLOORS so I gave up and now gather resources for another insane city when the bug get's fixed
    4.Sometimes
    5. 255 hours
    6. ranged with some one handed melee weapon for emergency (low energy and so)
    7.I had (because I played only 4 charakters) one huge motherf***ing insane city and something like 53 outposts (I build a whome empire) on other planet's and the main city so the insane big one (from point 3) was on a forest planet witch brown dirt(like on earth) , green grass (like on earth) and earth like plants and I called this planet with the city Arth

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  14. Lyze

Lyze Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Floran. I liked them visually then learned about their backstory and thought the idea of violent plant people amusing then when I started reading their lore, seeing the things they said and how they view objects, I was in love. I like the glitch too, cause you know, robots.
    2. Pretty much rushed to the top tiers. Had to explore the game
    3. I'll grab whatever resources I need to upgrade up, pick a nice peaceful world to build a base then go scouring the sectors for goodies. I tend to focus on the surface for exploration. Land on a planet, go all the way around back to the start point looting anything interesting along the way. Besides practical gear like weapons and such, I strip out any structures I find for anything useful or decrotative like lights, storage compartments, posters, etc. If I'm looking for resources I'll dig deep, usually snow or desert cause it's easiest.
    4. I play with my room mate on LAN.
    5. According to steam, 201 hours
    6. I prefer ranged combat with big flashy guns (plasma or rocket/grenades) but melee is usually more practical so I end up falling back on that. Usually sword and shield. Heavy damage two handers are nice too.
    7. I stick to one main base, usually placed on a level 2 world that looks nice. I don't want something so harsh that it makes it dangerous for any npcs I spawn but want good access to basic materials like coal and iron. Favorite biome to harvest in is sand and ice, favorite looking is jungles and grasslands, especially with nice colors and interesting looking plant life. My favorite weather effect is the little shooting stars, it's pretty. The giant smashing meteor is fun too, just not on my base or head/shoulder area please :D

15. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

1. I tend to play the Floran. I just like the way they look.

2. With my character, i tend to be a dangerous adventurer, ill go to tier 10 planets when im in tier 6 armor, battle bosses that will easily kill me if i slip up.

3. Mining and treasure hunting will always be apart of what i do. when i find dungeons and ruins i fully loot and destroy then untill only a crater is left.

4. I tend to go solo, but would play with others. love to face multiple people if pvp is enabled.

5. i am almost at 700 hours total gameplay (boring life in the middle of nowhere)

6. my combat style depends on my mood. if i feel like giveing them a chance, ill go ranged, if i feel like destroying everything, melee.

7. My main base. . . i only make one of those when i am offline, and they tend to be a huge useless base that goes down to the core of the planet.

16. Trey_Sorean

Trey_Sorean Void-Bound Voyager

1. I usually play as a Floran, but have been a human to show friend the ropes.
    2. I moronically went to a moon when I got the fuel, forgetting the need to breathe.
    3. I love loot, so it was all about hunting for the best piece of treasure!
    4. I tend to play with my friend or by myself, I like to hog said loot to myself.
    5. It's at the fifteen hour mark (I have many other games), I am waiting more for the ability to use one handed weapons in the direction you point though.
    6. I like my electro-blade and twink it between character creations.
    7. I have one main hub that connects to smaller hubs (cord. written in a journal). I actually prefer the icy biomes (probably because I live in the north). Sun... It's nice.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  17. Seaberry47

Seaberry47 Void-Bound Voyager

I played up to the murderous penguin ufo once, then lost that character.
    So now Im on my first serious playthrough, Lucynality the former lady Apex commander, simply out to try and find a suitable planet to build a house on. So far, on my starting planet I've found what seemed to be a containment unit for a misbehaved apex prisoner, notable features being the alarm light which signifies unacceptable behavior and some kind of glitch/android facility filled with apex traps and lava tanks, as well as bloodbanks and stimpacks and staffed by what appeared to be glitch but were only described as 'some funny looking person', who were all instantly hostile. I cleared out what I wanted and left it behind as I circumnavitaged my first planet before leaving.

The biggest issue I have right now is with the aggressive mobs. They're just over powered in general when it comes to hunting them for food. Whats the point of being able to look around in one direction farther if the mob simply runs up and reaches you before you've arrowed it down, jumping all over the place. A hunting bow should be a clean kill, only if you release that critical arrow and nail it perfectly though. sure you can charge them and beat them down with a bladed weapon or hammer, but they dont always yeild meat or pixels, so whats the real point besides to get pushed in and die again? harvest a bazillion bloody plant fibres for bandages? Takes /forever/ and they arent very effective at all.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  18. Zalgo

Zalgo Void-Bound Voyager

1: Floran because plant people are cool and I got a character theme going. I do sometimes roll up a human though and I'll definitely have a Novakid when they are made and put in.
    2: I mined ore until my eyeballs bled and burned through all the metal making stuff in under five minutes. Seriously, the amount of coal a space traveler requires is absurdly high.
    3: I think mining would be more tolerable if there was music down in the lower sections of the dig. As it is I start losing grip of my sanity as I crawl through pitch black narrow tunnels hacking at ores while clinging onto my last remaining torch so I can set it down and see while I mine at the same time. Also, I love treasure more than I love any real world pleasures. My dream is to one day own a microphone so my little guy can sing tunes.
    4: I wish. So alone... Also lag isn't very fun.
    5: Still playing. Really wish there were better craftable weapons early on to take out the penguins with.
    6: I sort enjoy the pistol/shield combo but the shields kind of break my heart right now, lacking descriptions and all.
    7: I stash everything in a horde on my ship. I'd have to say the desert is my favorite biome because I can collapse huge stores of sand and cause minerals to rain down like a hailstorm of goodies. I like the clear skies effect. Nothing happening to me and my stuff is the way I like it.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  19. Megamew

Megamew Void-Bound Voyager

A. I first played Hylotl, Big fan of the zora from Legend Of Zelda and they reminded me tons of them. B. Gltich, their just robots. If they'd have a configuration that'd look uncanny of a dalek i'd feel different
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the beginning i just murdered everything. Only in time i invested my time studying the wikis until i started crafting or farming in the sorts. I still have my first guy, he's overpowered!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Mining does happen to get boring from time to time, but the thought of beautiful items/weapons make it all worth while. B. I love treasure hunting. The best loot to have is one that you found in a dead mans corpse or in his chest!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Do you play with other people online? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server? I would if there were any servers that me and the server met eye to eye. Always getting errors.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. How many hours have you played so far? Are you waiting for a particular feature to come out to play some more? I have invested about 64-67 hours ingame time. I've actually had it for a long, long time though. around Irritated Koala. And I'm actually still waiting to be able to set particular points in a world as your home.

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Do you fight everything you come across? What is your favorite tech item? I personally prefer mele, it just seems more badass. And Yeah, stab first and ask questions later, right? Except for freindly towns.

7. Do you have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around building impromptu shelters as needed? What biome do you enjoy the most and why? Do you have a favorite weather effect? I've never had a base. Forever have I been searching for a Hylotl settlement so i can reside with my own kind. But for now, keep to the skys, and stay shiny.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Seria-Myouna likes this.
  20. anemonymous

anemonymous Poptop Tamer

1. HUMAN, I FEELS LIKE I'M A HIGHER LIFEFORM IN THE GAME.
    2. I READ THE QUEST FOR BEGINNERS. THEN I STARTED WANTING THE ADVENTURE.
    3. MEETING OTHER RACES. MINING FOR ME IS THE MOST BORING PART (IF YOU'RE USING A PICKAXE AND NOT A DRILL). YEAH, I ALSO AM A TREASURE HUNTER. EVEN THE DECORATIONS, I LOOT (JUST A NOOB...SORRY).
    4. NOT YET. I CAN'T CONNECT OR EVEN CREATE MY OWN SERVER.
    5. I STARTED PLAYING LAST WEEK. ENRAGED KOALA (BETA) IS MY FIRST PLAY OF STARBOUND. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE AS IT UPDATES.
    6. BOTH. IT DEPENDS ON THE CREATURE. EVERYONE I COME ACROSS... YES. HUMAN MECH IS BEST FOR FIGHTS. BUT WHAT I LIKE MOST IS THE BUTTERFLY, BUBBLE BOOST AND TARGET BLINK (AKA TELEPORT).
    7. I HAVE A MAIN BASE. I ENJOY MOST THE FOREST BIOME. SO MANY RESOURCES. WELL NOT ALL RESOURCE.

Seria-Myouna and Finn Learson like this.