1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's YOUR playstyle? Share with us!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Seria-Myouna, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

Due to the overwhelming majority of new posts on this subject, I've decided to sticky this thread to act as a repository for this sort of thing.

On to the main event!
    1. What race(s) do you play predominantly, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    [​IMG]Novakid [​IMG]Glitch [​IMG]Avian [​IMG]Hylotl [​IMG]Apex [​IMG]Human[​IMG]Floran
    2. What did you do with your first character (Or at least your most memorable one)? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    4. Do you play with other people online? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    5. How many hours have you played so far? Are you waiting for a particular feature to come out to play some more?
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Do you fight everything you come across? What is your favorite tech item?
    7. Do you have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around building impromptu shelters as needed? What biome do you enjoy the most and why? Do you have a favorite weather effect?

Feel free to suggest more questions! I've retooled the questions a bit given the continued popularity of this thread!

• Darthkitten: Combat Style, Housing Styles
    • trixtrix: Favorite Biome?
    Some Rules:
    • Try not to be purposefully offensive.
    • No arguing about pointless things! Your post will be deleted!
    • Be nice to other people, even if you don't agree with them.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

1)Hylotls. I like their oriental-based appearance just as I like oriental culture. And i dislike Avians, because... Well, humanized anthro-birds just make me throw up. Seriously.
    2)More dangers! More enemies! And probably my own guild on some popular server.
    3)Treasures! Collect treasures! All of them! I just want to conquer the world when wearing gold chain and a top hat. Hehe.
    4)With friends on big server. Seeing how popular this game is, I expect to see a server with over 9k people. I'm dead serious.
    5)In a day? 7-8 hours. Yep.

EDIT: 6)I prefer unusual weapon. Maybe melee, maybe ranged, it depends. But I definitely would like to fight enemies with electroglove or chair-shooting cannon.
    7)One main base. Icy biome. Yes, you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. GamerGuy101

GamerGuy101 Void-Bound Voyager

1. Avian or Hyloti. Why? because they are the most interesting races out of all imo.
    2. Start mining and getting lost in the catacombs like I always do in Terraria.
    3. I like to mine and explore temples; if I see something shiny, I will be looting it.
    4. I will be playing with 3 other people I gifted Starbound to.
    5. Easily 100+ hours.
    6. Once I get my hands on 2 swords, there will be a massacre...'nuff said. :viking:
    7. I will most likely have a main base with multiple branching bases.

4. Rhayn

Rhayn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. Human char that looks like me, so I can truly imagine myself in the game.
    2. Will take my time. Exploring and treasure hunting but not going too fast and dying a lot.
    3. Do a lot of digging for ore, but mainly exploring and searching for dungeons.
    4. Plans at the moment to play with my daughter on a small server, maybe a couple of friends too as I have some spare codes.
    5. Lots and lots of hours. When I finally reach the 'end' of my solo play I will either open a server, or find one with a lot of like minded people and have a more social time.

5. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

1. Human because I am more human than human, the novakids don't seem that interesting but I will play all the races anyway.
    2. Explore and build.
    3. Mostly resource gathering and building up my base.
    4. Probably after I get a hang of single player.
    5. All of them.
    6. I prefer using shotguns and automatic weapons, I will fight every single enemy because want as much loot as possible sadly my irresponsible behavior will cause max extinction like that of the buffalo and the dodo bird :/
    7. Basic house at the moment waiting for wipes.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  6. Solokeh Krontos

Solokeh Krontos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. Human, fits my lore character.
    2. I'll go at a medium speed, not too fast, not too slow.
    3. I would love to explore dungeons, like indiana jones, but I kill everyone in my way
    4. I'l play on a small server with my friends for my main character, and I'll have an alt on a server with a lot of people.
    5. I'll probably play this game until x64 emulators don't even work anymore.

7. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

1. Floran, kickass and just love the violence with them. :)
    2. Probably will make myself a dirt shack, then mine, make an amazing tech base, and then just do stuff.
    3. Explore, get the strongest items, go to the strongest planets. I like exploration and a challenge.
    4. I'll play with my clan, IloveBacons and also make a small server for me and my group of friends.
    5. I will create a robot and put my brain in, keeping it alive and the robot body will not die, so I will play this game forever.

SirKaldar, Borgus, Khyron42 and 3 others like this.
  8. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

1.a glitch becuase i can(and no other reason:) )
    2.im gonna try to progress not really quick but not slowly eather 1 tier at a time
    3.I like finding lots of loot and having long and vary hard dungeons to explore with legendary mobs inside i can tame as pets
    4.im gonna be playing alone.....alone.....by myself.....then ill invite friends
    5.simple +80,000,000 B decades then ill start playing whatever game tiys next of kind (x9) starts to make

TheNightOwl and Seria-Myouna like this.
  9. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

I love the times you guys are posting, they're increasing exponentially...

6 hours a day... 100+ hours, Until I die, Until the end of time, xD.

10. CalamityQuote

CalamityQuote Phantasmal Quasar

1. Apex or Novakid
    2. Make a base and find an NPC village
    3. Do a bunch of quests for NPCs, explore dungeons, find awesome items and create a giant city on my homeworld
    4. I'll either convince my friends to buy the game and create my own server, or play on a public server.
    5. A couple hours a day.

onerb2 and enigmatic fluff like this.
  11. Otherworldly

Otherworldly Industrial Terraformer

1. Novakid, Human, or Floran. Heck I'll play all of them at some point.
    2. To just progress and discover. I'm in no rush. There's a lot of content, so I'll probably just do what's necessary in order to live and upgrade. Slowly.
    3. Anything. I want to be an explorer in space and underground. Make a story, ya know? I'm probably gonna write a summary of everything I did that day in my log entries.
    4. Small private server with around five-six friends.
    5. When it comes out? Morning to bedtime no doubt.

enigmatic fluff likes this.
  12. mooncats5

mooncats5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    My starting race will most likely be Floran - visually they're really appealing to me, and I'm interested to see how their intro will go. I think all the races are really interesting and unique in their own ways! If I had to pick a least favorite though it would probably be the Novakids. (Still, star cowboys are pretty cool I'll admit!)

2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    It's really hard to say what I'll want to do first because I tend to decide those sorts of things as they happen, but most likely I'll do lots of exploring and building. My progression as far as levels go will probably be pretty slow.

3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    There seems to be a LOT of items and objects to find in the game, both as regular treasures as well as furniture and tech and fossils, so I guess you could call me a bit of a shiny hunter. :p I'll probably want to collect everything I see! I'm also looking forward to seeing what dungeons have to offer - but again, mainly for the shinies.

4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    I absolutely want to play with other people! I've been talking all my friends into supporting and eventually playing Starbound with me! As for joining a public server though, that's a maybe. I tend to prefer playing with people I know or by myself.

5. How many hours do you think you're going to play?
    I can see myself playing this game regularly for months - maybe dropping off now and then, but always coming back to it eventually. Especially if new content will be added regularly. Even if it isn't, I'm pretty confident Starbound will become a classic in its own right.

13. SlypheedViperium

SlypheedViperium Void-Bound Voyager

• Floran, Novakid, or Glitch, cause its a nice change of pace from the normal, animal like races. :rofl:. I'll still play all the Races, just the three mentioned earlier will be my favorites :3
    • Look at stuff (Includes everything from staring at backrounds, to the enemy rushing at me) And possibly, if I get FRAPs or some recording program that can record game audio and my voice (Not just one or the other) I would make my first Let's Play series with the game :D
    • Everything :3
    • Most likely with my friends, not much of a fan of playing on servers with le randoms
    • That number will vary, lets just say, when ever I have free time :3

14. flamingfirewarrior

flamingfirewarrior Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. Human/Glitch - Lore, Aesthetics, also I like them.
    2. Empire/Corporation builder. I'm in it for the immersion and for the building.
    3. Building, exploring.
    4. Whatever happens first.
    5. Until my brain rots into a small pile of goop and I finally get away from moronic people.

onerb2 likes this.
  15. aljam

aljam Cosmic Narwhal

1. I'll probably play either a Floran, Glitch, or Human
    2. I will probably be a cautious Sniper on a constant recon mission
    3. I have no idea yet, but for the most part I will probably be exploring every inch of the galaxy to get all the booty
    4. I am looking forward to play with as much people as possible. Going to play with a party of close friends and play on a huge public server on the side
    5. Considering I play over 500 hours on sandbox games alone, Starbound will easily reach my most played game.

16. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

1. Glitch or Avian - the entire idea behind the Glitch is actually pretty novel, not one I've encountered in fiction. Really capitalizes on shifting them away from a generic robot archetype. The Avian remind me of The Rito from Wind Waker, so they've got that going for them.
    2. Absolutely no rushing. Of late one of my primary goals in enjoying games that claim they have high levels of immersion is to actually be immersed - or try to - and see how it pans out. I want things to be paced, somewhat grueling at first, a struggle to survive. I play Terraria like this when I recruit friends to play. We start with the essentials and we rough it. I never get sick of it, for some reason; I suppose it's that I can vicariously relive the thrills through others.
    3. Exploring in Terraria and coming across the caves and tunnels that were generated was pretty exciting. The underground Jungle, while treacherous, was one of the highlights for me. The lighting, the ambiance, the potential gain vs. the risk - uncovering the myriad (endless would be a better term) potentials for loot is kind of the biggest thing in StarBound, for me. Throwing recipes together, digging away for hours and not sleeping ... all too common in my Terraria days.
    4. Yes, probably exclusively with others, but it depends. I will be pretty devoted to a less-than-ten-people array, but I'm also very interested in sprawling, chaotic servers. These differing situations will be where I switch up races, probably.
    5. I think I did 24 hours or so of Terraria in one sitting, without really even wanting to. It's safe to say if the game comes out this summer, I'll average 3 or 4 hours in one sitting, but things could get a little ridiculous.
    Though none of what I said really addresses the comparatively infinite scale of SB vs. Terraria - I'm scarcely aware of what's in store. I'm acting on preconceived notions I have from another game. I'm on a pretty planetary, narrow scale here. I can't wait to be blown away.

krebtron, Hannez and Seria-Myouna like this.
  17. Walross

Walross Pangalactic Porcupine

1. Probably either Novakid or... Maybe Floran. but as soon as a reptile race is added, I'm going straight for them.
    2. Wander along, discovering things, collecting rarities, oddities, and pretty rocks. and after some nasty experiences on a hardmode minecraft server, get lots, and lots, and LOTS of food.
    3. Hunting, discovering. making improvements to everything, accruing materials, and equipping my companions with what they need. also chemistry. I like to keep everyone well equipped, i'll probably invest in some serious printer-fuel hoarding.
    4. Wander along with a group of friends, and my brother. Knowing my bro as soon as he finds a nice planet he'll assemble a massive mansion on it. I'm personally going to look for a grassy plains place.
    5. At least as many as i have on terraria, so a few hundred hours at least. but, judging from the generation of content, much longer.

18. Torque

Torque Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello.I have not written a long time ago so I think it is time.
    1. Florans. They have nice Lore and I don't think they are that evil as it was mentioned in Lore. Second, i really like to play mage character in Terraria, and Florans will get bonus energy regen (SPAM skills and stuff), so they will be similar (kind of). Then I will check Novakids
    2. For first character I will explore slowly and precisely. I am not afraid of monsters. Peaceful farming? No, more like dangerous farming. :ninja:
    3. Exploring and hunting treasure, Definately. And building some big stuff also.
    4. Yes, I will play with friends. Public server will be nice too.
    5. A lot of hours. It cannot be determined.
    I am really curious how Floran's intro looks like :megusta:

Maruku and Seria-Myouna like this.
  19. zychore

zychore Void-Bound Voyager

1. My first race will be a floran just because i life in the woods and i like gardening too :). Im going to try all the other races.
    2. This one will be a peaceful floran, only uses a weapon if its inevitable.
    3. Exploring and digging, digging and exploring every planet and moon i am always checking every little Bit. I cant stand the feeling that i might have missed something. There is also a lot of building ahead, something like a tree house with a huge treasure room were i store everything i can get.
    4. Playing online with friends i hope i can get my girlfriend aboard.
    5. Until the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. Until the rivers run dry, and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves.:viking:

20. azarga

azarga Big Damn Hero

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    Hylotl most likely. I adore scaled races, preferably reptilian, but fish will do I think. On the other hand I dislike Apex, never been a fan of Planet of the Apes.
    2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    Take as much as I can of the first planet, then begin exploring the new ones to find a place for homeworld.
    Mining and crafting, never get bored on those. And a lot of good fight.
    4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    Most likely solo, maybe a small public server.
    5. How many hours do you think you're going to play?
    If the game is at least as enjoyable as Terraria was for me, then 15-20 hours a week.