Whats your favourite Boss of all time? / most difficult boss?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Corraidhín, Dec 21, 2015.

1. TTStooge

TTStooge Big Damn Hero

Hardest boss for me was Crawmerax the Invincible from Borderlands. Took me two months and 130+ attempts before I finally killed him.

Favorite boss was probably Avak from Bionicle Heroes, his battle theme was amazing and the fight was fun from beginning to end.

Corraidhín likes this.
  2. Faerdin

Faerdin Astral Cartographer

I don't think I can really claim a single "favorite" boss fight. But I do have plenty that I remember really well.
    • Flaahgra / Omega Pirate - Metroid Prime
    • Ansem - Kingdom Hearts
    • Rahu III - Custom Robo
    • Dragohoho / Cackletta - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    • Baron Brixius - Sonny
    If I had to hoist one above all others, though, it would probably be the fight against Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Back when I was younger, I knew that fight from front to back -- and the atmosphere of the battle is just spectacular. For all you know, he just...

Blew up Hyrule Castle and killed Midna.

So by that point, you're just BEGGING for an excuse to finish him off. So you go toe-to-toe on horseback. And where mounted combat tends to feel awkward or impractical in other games that feature it, Twilight Princess did a marvelous job. You had more than enough reason to polish your abilities on horseback in previous points in the game, and it really felt like that training paid off.

Then you knock him off the horse and have that epic confrontation. The music alone was invigorating and really felt like a final battle. I've replayed that boss fight so many times, I actually figured out how to chain attacks and initiate the second half of the fight in a single web of attacks. I'm probably not doing it justice because I only just woke up and I'm a little pressed for time, but Twilight Princess just hit it out of the park for me. :)

@Xylia: Oh geez, the Moon Lord. Wait here while I go and hide under my bed. I remember the first time I tried to fight that beast -- my jaw hit the floor and the fact my Vampire Knives were ineffective made my head spin. I did a happy dance when I finally beat him.
    @Sazanaara Eleven: Half the reason I'd ever try to get Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix is to fight the Lingering Will. @-@

Gilligan Lanley and Corraidhín like this.
  3. Bloto

Bloto Master Chief

Sif the great grey wolf

Corraidhín likes this.
  4. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

That fight is really sad, especially when you've gone through the whole DLC. :nurusad:

Gilligan Lanley and Bloto like this.
  5. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

That boss was the one that made me think what I was actually trying to achieve in Dark Souls, Artorias was one epic fight, thought it was more of a "put him to rest" kind of thing... Sif was there to help him, and stop you from making the same mistake (at least imho), the true and only friend of the Chosen Undead

6. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

You should see what happens when you save him in the DLC before fighting him. You get a special, even more depressing cutscene. :(

7. Bloto

Bloto Master Chief

My profile picture is drunked Sif

LOL BALL likes this.
  8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oh I did, thats why I mentioned artorias :3 poor Sif, really.

Wow, I dont know half of those bosses lol

Yeah some games really do a marvelous job at the final boss, Twilight Princess pulled it off right, tho a bit too easy unfortunately, specially if you had the golden armor. I do love how they are finally giving you a really good reason to fight your time-and-age nemesis, no longer just fighting for the same land, but another world, and its ruler.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  9. Faerdin

Rahu III is probably a boss not too many people are familiar with since Custom Robo (Custom Robo Battle Revolution in Japan) didn't perform particularly well outside of Japan, and objectively speaking, it's not really a great game. But I had a lot of fun with it and the game carries a lot of nostalgia for me.

Agreed on Twilight Princess, though -- for as epic and atmospheric the fight was, it was pretty easy.

Corraidhín likes this.
  10. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Custom Robo sounds familiar... is it from SNES? I remember playing a lot of snes games that you could only find in Japan, like Hyper Iria

11. Faerdin

The franchise actually got its start on the Nintendo 64. There's also quite a few trophies related to Custom Robo littered throughout the Super Smash Bros. series, if I remember correctly. :)

12. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ahh that must be where I heard mention of them then. Hmm now I feel like playing N64 just to check the game out lol.

13. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

Agh, the hardest boss I've ever encountered in a game would be Lavos Core from Chrono Trigger. Many defeats and different strategies later, I finally conquered that son of a hound.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Corraidhín likes this.
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Then, all you gotta do once you kill it, is go back to that conveyor belt area in the future and level Ayla up to 99 and equip her with any +critical hit stuff she can wear and then come back and laugh as she one-shots the boss with a critical hit.

Corraidhín and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  15. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

Uber late reply, but FF4 is my favorite in the series of both story and challenge. The story build up to Zeromus was rather epic and decent through the moon was challenging. Not to mention that the optional bosses for the really good items there were unforgiving.

Corraidhín likes this.
  16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ayla was so game breaking lol, tho I am sure most of us didnt know that in our first playthru >w< it took me some time to figure her out!

FF is like "you want cool stuff? here! fight this boss with over 9000 stats!"

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The only thing I hated about FF4 that I mentioned in the block you quoted (I'll try to explain it a bit better) is that awkward lull right before the Evil Wall (that dungeon with the trapdoors).

The stuff in that dungeon is far, far harder and more annoying than enemies in the underground overworld, and the level at which you arrive at that place, you are probably too weak to kill the wall reliably, BUT, here's the problem.

Average Battle in the Underground Overworld: 900-1200xp
    Average Battle (not counting Trapdoors) in that Sealed Cave: ~1500xp

BUT, the battles in that Sealed Cave are are more than twice as hard and they barely give any more XP. On the flipside, you need 60-70k per level by the time you get there, so have fun doing 40-50 battles per levelup, to get ONE levelup.

They really needed a decent place to get XP at that point in the game. You could go to the Land of Summoned Monsters, or the Slyph Cave and get slightly more, but the monsters in there are even MORE ridiculous, they're nearly 3x as hard and they barely give you more than standard Underground Overworld monsters.

This is why most of my playthroughs end at the Sealed Cave.

It's an annoying roadblock of pure grind, and it's a sad blemish on an otherwise awesome game.

Not sure how you guys get past that roadblock. I don't like fighting the trapdoors that low level, because of how annoying they are (the fact they always insta-kill one of your group members very first thing doesn't help matters any) and some of the monsters they morph into are even more annoying with lots of AoE attacks.

And the Bats. Dear God, the Bats.

Drain Drain Drain Drain Drain Drain Drain Drain Drain before you can even take a turn. And of course, the drain animation takes forever. Then you input one command and it is Drain Drain Drain Drain Drain Drain Drain all over again.

Corraidhín likes this.
  18. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Reminds me of the boss fights in... Battle Ogre Tactics... in Ramiels world, the sap and magic animations were so LENGHTY making taking a turn to fight the boss a miraculous event!

all this talk about old games make me really appreciate the fact I missed out on all FF until Chrystal Chronicles (which wasnt good for many, but I loved the fights and music)

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You know how everybody says Magus is SO hard and everybody recommends Lucca or Marle as your companion?

Little do they know that Robo and a little time in the Hunting Range in 65M BC makes Magus the biggest wimp of all of the bosses.

Seriously.

All you need is for Robo to learn his AoE heal (what's that called again? Heal Beam?). Him, Crono and Frog.

During the first phase of Magus with the barrier change, simply tap Magus with Physical Attacks (He'll retaliate, Robo can out-heal his damage easy-peasy) until he uses Lightning or Ice. Chrono/Frog's spells work here (yes, Water and Ice are considered the same).

In the second phase, Robo can out-heal the "dreaded" Dark Matter spell -- Robo gets 2 turns to Magus's 1 and 2 Heal Beams easily out-heals Magus's most powerful signature spell quite easily.

Have Crono and Frog X-Cut him to death (buy the Demon Sword in that village by doing lots of trading in 65M BC, buy weapons and vendor them to get the money). Since Magus is obviously a Magic enemy, the Demon Sword does ridiculous damage when you use X-Cut.

There. The "Dreaded" Boss reduced to being a pathetic wimp.

My favorite? "Here, you want a Crystal Sword? OKAY." *4,000+ damage to everybody on the very first turn before you can even click anything*

Hey now, the older FF games were awesome. There were just a few annoying parts in them. You've not done Final Fantasy until you get a NES Emulator and do the very first one. Oh, my. That taught you strategy and fore-thought and planning. That is, unless you abuse many of the glitches in the game, but if you don't.... you've got one challenging road ahead of you. And of course, buying Potions one at a time, but meh.

Corraidhín likes this.
  20. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Robo huh? I remember I had him all the time because Spekkio said "he uses something like magic, but not magic and still powerful" or something in between those lines, and also because he was a cool robot buddy with ROCKET PUNCH! oh and I loved his healing animation lol, yeah I remember Magus wasnt very hard for the build up I had spelunking on his castle.

Dark matter was a dreaded attack? wtf lol. I am starting to feel bad about the way I played Chrono Trigger.