1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Wrong With Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Cereto, Nov 6, 2013.

?

Not posting? Tell us why!

1. Starbound is perfection in the form of interactive art.

13.8%
  2. I'm sure there are flaws, I just can't think of any right now.

19.3%
  3. It's too early to tell.

66.9%
  1. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

I must say that my least favorite part of the game so far? Probably the removal of Space Stations as a thing (at least at the moment). I enjoyed the idea of having a kind of small lab/storage/secret base in space. That said; having us build our own home world probably allows us a greater freedom when it comes to customization and design. I'd still like to see Space Stations in game at some capacity.

As for my least favorite part of the community? Hero worship. I am as excited as anyone else, and I think the dev's should take this game in whatever direction they want; but looking at anything Chucklefish does and then kneeling down, bowing your head and shedding tears of joy is a bit much. While I don't agree with all the "mistakes" people claim have been made, I feel there's no reason we shouldn't hear other opinions, points of view, and ideas.

Chances are they won't effect much, but the discussion and civil discourse is always nice. Until that civil discourse devolves into rampaging pyromaniacs straight set on burning the thread to the ground with flames of righteous anger.

Cereto, AllenKS, onerb2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

During one of the devstream videos, I saw a minidungeon (one of those "abandoned mines") that contained significant segments that were the same as the one from the Yogscast preview (e.g., a platform over water where you can swim underground to your left to reach a new cave; even the shape of the underwater passage was the same). It seemed strange, and actually more immersion-breaking than if the two dungeons had been fully identical. I hope they just didn't have very many options for dungeon parts enabled yet, because if that happens frequently in-game it could get annoying fast.

Cereto and Cruellyricisti like this.
  3. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

I also would like to say that I don't much like the idea that ChuckleFish would ever let mods fill in all of their holes, I'm only stating that it is possible to do so and still be successful.

Cruellyricisti likes this.
  4. Exxil3d

Exxil3d Scruffy Nerf-Herder

'Mods will solve everything.'

But what about multiplayer? How will they integrate with that? I'd assume mods would be serverside for multiplayer, but then what about modded things that can't carry into singleplayer or other servers? The opposite applies as well. It kind of makes the whole 'wanting things to be different slightly' thing difficult. I really don't want to have to manage a bunch of mods to keep up with multiplayer.

P.S. Not sure if this post made any sense.

5. steveman0

steveman0 Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure if I might have mentioned this in the thread already but I think my only major complaint at the moment is the complete lack of heat based environmental risk. The idea of freezing on a cold planet but being able to roam freely without a care on a lava world seems nonsensical.

Cruellyricisti and DiiSs like this.
  6. DiiSs

DiiSs Star Wrangler

This. I love the idea of being able to freeze to death on cold planets, to melt on hot planets would be a really good addition. Also, I was thinking that maybe to counter these, you could add an armour effect similar to the Dark suit from Metroid Prime 2, where it doesn't fully protect from the cold/heat, but greatly reduces the speed in which it decreases.

7. Keirndmo

Keirndmo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I believe it's the community as the game will not meet up to their very unrealistic expectations of the game and we might get a lot of refunds.

8. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

I actually do not like the Hotbar. Since the change it has become a bit more complicated. I mean, why can I put an item in the right hand and the left hand slot when I'm able to scroll around the rest of the hotbar anyway? Sure, it does give you a couple of slots more, but it seem kinda strange. I prefered when it was used to show the item you are holding.

9. LordPants

LordPants Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would like to see some more gore, but there will be mods for that so let it roll!

10. ThatMadCat

ThatMadCat Phantasmal Quasar

Personally, After having read through the comments, I have to agree with everyone who has said about the removal of space stations. I really liked that idea, and I hope that the devs consider bringing it back. If not (and it pains me to say it) I'm sure that someone will put a mod out for it, but I hope the devs decide to put them back in. :up:

On a more positive note, the new ships are fantastic! but I wish they kept the different doors and base interiors (the images could be placeholders, and they will get added, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents (well... Pennies, Rule Britannia! What.))

11. GameQB11

GameQB11 Phantasmal Quasar

I was hoping for a more hazardous natural environments. I was hoping that i would need a suit and test for breathable air. This isnt that kind of game though, i still think it will be great for what it it.

12. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

The idea is having a "permanent" equipped set, while being able to temporarily switch to something else, and then back.

Depending on what you are doing, there is going to be an item you use most of the time. When exploring/fighting, it'd be your main sword/gun. When mining, it'd be your pickaxe. When building, it'd be your build tool. Etc.

But occasionally, you need to switch to something else. Like a flashlight when exploring, or a weapon when attacked while mining, or a paint tool when building. You can't really predict what alternative item you'll need, it depends on situation. But one thing you CAN predict is that you will soon be done using your alternate item, and want to switch back to your permanent item.

I think it's great to be able to pick an alternative item, but then as soon as you are done with it, press some quick key like Esc or RightClick or whatever to switch back to your main item which you use most of the time, instead of having to search for it in your inventory each time.

13. LoftyAnchor

LoftyAnchor Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, there were some perks shown for armor like radiation/cold/poison resistance (http://starbounder.org/Perks). I haven't been keeping up with Starbound information for a while, but there's supposed to be planets that will require special equipment. http://starbounder.org/Planets mentions a bit of that.

14. Soggytoast

Soggytoast Void-Bound Voyager

I have always been a fan of character progression and choice in how my character is developed over time.
    Everything is looking great so far except I am hoping they have a decent amount of choice in character development.
    So far I have seen gear progression, tech abilities, and monster taming and advancement as character progression.
    I am hoping these aspects are enough to keep me interested for a long time. If I cannot progress my character any
    further I tend to get bored of games.

Please feel free to correct me or add to my post. I would love to know more about other character progression methods
    that I may have missed.

onerb2 likes this.
  15. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

I did not think of that, it is an excellent opinion. I only looked at it from the negative side (being different from a traditional hotbar) but didn't see the advantages. :p

Gene likes this.
  16. Asteroides

Asteroides Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thats my main gripe, i really hope modding is easy from the get go. Would be awesome to get a monster editor with stats, loot table, appearance. Something like the character creator, but for monsters. You can then attempt to do things like yeti-like creatures on an icy planet

I made a detailed post about the sort of modding i would like to see happen with the game, but it didnt get voted up or wasnt talked about much. Vote for it if u like my ideas

http://community.playstarbound.com/...your-own-universe-share-it-with-people.25081/

Jonesy likes this.
  17. Meowzer Cat

Meowzer Cat Space Hobo

The game has a good concept with the story or the interactive non game you can choose both things in a way that makes it fun. You can tell the people on the Chucklefish team really care about the game cause they even added admin commands I mean some games dont even have that! Starbound is a good game is what im saying its still in beta and the next major update is coming out early 2019 cut them some slack I know there working hard on this game.

18. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Optimizations please..that's all I need to play endlessly whether it's vanilla or modded...

Ickura likes this.
  19. Corleone

Corleone Subatomic Cosmonaut

Please elaborate a bit more on how you know they are "working hard" on this game?

20. Blaine

Blaine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There are a lot of issues with Starbound that held it back from reaching Terraria or Stardew Valley levels of success.

Progression is a major issue, as it's incredibly linear and one-dimensional: Get the next pack, get the next rocks, get the next armor, repeat. Don't go where you're not allowed yet, or we'll make sure you die. Once you have the right pack, though, the radiation/cold/heat won't affect you at all, almost as if it's an extremely artificial progression limitation.

Another issue is shallow and superficial planet and mini-biome themes: A few critters, a few blocks, one biome-specific unique monster, and chests containing furniture recipes and a costume don't make for a complete-feeling, believable, or particularly compelling biome. They just feel like theme dumps. As for planets themselves, it's a one-two punch: There are too few unique monsters spread around everywhere, and planets of the same type look and feel more-or-less the same. The final nail in the coffin is that star systems are rigidly separated into planets of a certain tier (with rare exceptions), which is super-unrealistic and just serves to highlight the general lack of distinctiveness, because just like planets, one system is more-or-less the same as another. Mods can help with most of these issues to some extent, and this is why Frackin' Universe is mega-popular.

(Originally, Starbound was going to feature exclusively procedurally-generated monsters, but procgen monsters very quickly begin to look and feel same-y and boring; Chucklefish realized this early enough to do something about it and implemented unique monsters.)

Then there's the story, which is basically "collect several magic crystals to fight the evil boss, also there's a cult"—one of the biggest fictional tropes of all time.

While I know the game's designed to be goofy and not take itself seriously, one thing that doesn't suit my personal taste is that most of the races are essentially hollow, themed gimmicks. You've got robot people who think they're medieval knights; flame people who think they're cowboys; ape men who follow a laboratory theme (rhesus monkeys and other primates are iconic as lab research animals) with a minor in dystopian themes; fish people who are Japanese (the Hylotl are my favorite, but it's still a gimmick); even humans are a gimmick, as our planet is attacked by an evil alien entity, an extremely overdone trope. The Avians and Florans are less gimmicky, but not entirely free of gimmickry.

Playing Elithian Races really opened my eyes to this. Elithian's races seem like real, breathing, complete races, because the people who made them up tried to imagine that they were real, and the way they and all of their vehicles, armor, weapons, deco, lore, etc. are implemented reflects this. This is an essential part of good world-building.

Still and all, Starbound manages to be fun, especially if you enjoy building, although it needs a lot of nice mods to truly shine.

Ickura likes this.