1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Wrong With Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Cereto, Nov 6, 2013.

?

Not posting? Tell us why!

1. Starbound is perfection in the form of interactive art.

13.8%
  2. I'm sure there are flaws, I just can't think of any right now.

19.3%
  3. It's too early to tell.

66.9%
  1. fredmay20

fredmay20 Phantasmal Quasar

I personally think we take the devs as super humans... I mean.. yell out " Hey guys want to make a super popular game that's gonna have a million player?!" I bet your gonna get no response. They are doing great for what they are doing. Maybe some of there art isn't the greatest, still look at the bright side of things, not the bad eh?

2. AllenKS

AllenKS Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Why do people think you can't simultaneously appreciate someone's hard work, acknowledge the fact that you probably couldn't do as good, enjoy the general outcome, and still be able to take a step back and go "wow, it's a shame that they went with this"?

I don't know how else I could explain it. Criticism has nothing to do with whether you like the project or not.

If you think someone can't go, for example, (one that holds no consequence to my overall point) "um, the trees look kind of bad", and still give the game a 10/10 and think it's the best game they've ever played, then I just don't have any words for you. I'm also not so disillusioned with myself as to think that what I say in this thread should have any bearing on the game development what-so-ever, so I'm not about linking this to the devs or insulting them for their choices as some people have taken to doing, here and other places across the forums, BUT, I like to read other people's opinions on what they'd change about the game and compare ideas.

Too bad that seems to be a sin around these parts because every thread you go to that tries to have an open discussion about any perceived flaws are met with legions of people trying to shut down other's opinions. Why can't we just say "yeah, the no extreme heat system is really shitty" without having to follow it up immediately with "but, ohoho, trust me I do love the game, praise be Tiy's holy scarf"?

kainfury, OzzytheFist, Hazmat and 4 others like this.
  3. fredmay20

fredmay20 Phantasmal Quasar

soo... you are agreeing with me right?

4. AllenKS

...No?

The jist of my post was that I don't like being told "look at the positive stuff", or "wait for the game, it'll be awesome", or "the mods will probably fix that", or "bet you can't do any better", or anything else of that sort when talking about the things I wish I could change about the game, because I, astonishingly enough, can equally weigh both the good things and bad things at the same time, or understand that they are subject to change, and I think a lot of other people can as well.

I like the devs just as much as any other (normal) person, and I think the game will be the best game I've played ever, and I know that the modders will make it even better. I already think these things. These are things that I currently think. I don't need to be told to think them by anyone else...

People will never stop doing it though, so I'm not sure what exactly I hope to accomplish right now, so I'll just end with that.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Colton, Cruellyricisti and Cereto like this.
  5. Cereto

Cereto Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm sure every time someone says that...god kills a kitten.
    FFS people, the game is not out yet, and everything is subject to change. If you think something is wrong with it just make sure your opinion is heard and your reasons are clear.
    If they agree and see your point there's a good chance of your change making it into the game.
    If they don't agree there's a good chance you have no idea what you are talking about.

onerb2, Colton, RynCage and 2 others like this.
  6. zanthal

zanthal Existential Complex

Darn, I was just about to post that, you ruin my fun. :cry:

I worry about the finitude of the storyline. The sandbox of the game itself is gargantuan, and I worry if the story will be dwarfed in comparison. But so long as the plans for added content includes continuing of plots, both main and side plots, I mean, then it will work out.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Cruellyricisti and Maruku like this.
  7. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

I don't see the problem. Skyrim is a second-best-seller.

http://gamingbolt.com/todd-howard-t...nce-of-mods-and-how-they-are-better-than-dlcs

8. AllenKS

Skyrim is also a AAA multi-platform title from a major 3rd party publisher, with more than ~10 people working on it, that does DLC as well as free post-release updates...

They do it all, they don't ever need to rely on PC modders to fix/update their game, they're big enough to do everything they need to, even if it could be proven that most of their sales are driven by the existence of a strong mod community, it's not the same position as a small time dev company with a handful of people working on a title.

Not saying I agree with the notion that the Starbound devs would do that, but if that's the argument the guy is making, his example of Minecraft is more apt than your example of Skyrim.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    onerb2 likes this.
  9. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Also have to say The Elder Scroll games are somewhat unique, in that they developed a huge modding community that has progressed along with several games in the franchise.
    Many of them are old hat and experienced. Some of the better mods come from people who have been working on them since Morrowind when the craze took off.

I'm not saying this game wont have a strong mod community. Just that it wont have the same level of one as a Bethasoft game right off the bat. That took time to buildup. So did minecrafts. So expecting a lot of issues to be fixable with mods at the start is probably a bad assumption and telling people to bank on it as a solution? A worse one. Much later on it will be different of course.

onerb2, Hazmat, Colton and 2 others like this.
  10. 4ExaJohn

4ExaJohn Astral Cartographer

Nothing at all, I think the game will revolutionize sandbox gaming.

Cereto likes this.
  11. OzzytheFist

Todd Howard also accredits all of their success with TES to mods. Rightfully so, based on sale differentiates.

Hazmat likes this.
  12. AllenKS

Err.. Are you sure you understood my post, or the nature of the argument that the guy you originally quoted was trying to make? If so, I'm not quite sure why you think Skyrim being successful because of mods has anything to do with anything...

The main point the other guy was trying to make, and the one we were trying to elaborate on was that games, the players or the developers, can't rely entirely on modders to fix all of the problems... So being told to "wait for the mod" shouldn't be the natural response to any perceived problems with a game. After all, devs are there to fix and polish the game, and how could one know what to fix if there are no complaints? (Not about Starbound because that's not out yet, but in general.)

ExplosiveCrate likes this.
  13. OzzytheFist

They can rely on that, if they want. Not to say that they are.

If it's easy to do, it's as good a fix as any.

14. cpmartins

cpmartins Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bethesda's release of Skyrim was a joke. Bad performance, showstopping bugs, no FOV slider, low res textures straight out of their console builds, horrendous consolized UI, shadows that looked so bad I turned them off until I got SHADOWs no-stripping mod, and a global lightning model that'd make Quake 1 look positively next-gen. They didn't fix ANY of them before mods did. It was so bad, that one guy while decompiling their engine put out a fix that TRIPLED my FPS. Shameful to say the least. Skyrim was one of the worst ports PC has ever seen, almost as bad Dark Souls. All fixed by MODS waaaay before bethesda put out their own fixes. And guess what? Most of them were worse than the mods that preceded them. So yes, Bethesda DOES, very much in fact, rely on their massive and awesome community to fix their products.

15. AllenKS

Ok fine, they do, that's an opinion, but let's say for the sake of argument that it's true... You just outlined exactly why that's a horrible thing. So...?

That was my exact point from the beginning. (Well not my point, but I did agree with it) Games are better off when the devs focus on fixing problems and not leaving it all up to the modders. Also, like Xander, pointed out earlier, giant modding communities of experienced people don't spring up overnight, so any lasting problems neglected by the people actually making the game will persist far longer than they have to if modding is used as a crutch. (As you yourself just expressed.)

Like I said earlier though, I don't believe at all that the Starbound devs will do that in the slightest so, whether Skyrim does, or doesn't do it, or is successful, or is not, is irrelevant. Not that it was ever relevant to begin with...

DaviDeil likes this.
  16. DaviDeil

DaviDeil Ketchup Robot

I played just fine for the 40+ hours I put into it and without mods for most of that.

Takigushi likes this.
  17. cpmartins

cpmartins Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh absolutely, it was playable. Unfortunately it was just a straight port from the consoles. Like I said, I was a bad PORT, not a bad GAME.

18. DaviDeil

DaviDeil Ketchup Robot

Im trying to say I didnt feel the repercussions of "bad port" either. Im sure concerns to fix those certain problems were valid, but they didnt bother me enough to become outraged with Bethesda.(I didnt even notice them)

I still would prefer TES games to start on PC and focus all PC, personally. TES games need that upper hand because of the greater capabilities that consoles just dont have need to be groomed to their full potential.(Then port it to consoles)

Takigushi and RynCage like this.
  19. Foliumsakura

Foliumsakura Void-Bound Voyager

Random generated can be easily added to, or at least I feel it would be and I am sure that it will always be expanded upon via developer or mods and probably both.

Beyond that, it's too early for me to tell so far, maybe possibly hoping that things can be done without the need of mechs or other such machinery. I am more of a foot soldier squirrel. More on this after beta

20. NonBritGit

NonBritGit Cosmic Narwhal

This is just normal behavior in game forums everywhere. There are folks (usually very young) that identify so much with their favorite (current) game that they bristle at the slightest criticism and will go to great lengths to negate that criticism. Best to ignore the more fanatic types and just move on, because they can't be reasoned with.