1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Wrong With Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Cereto, Nov 6, 2013.

?

Not posting? Tell us why!

1. Starbound is perfection in the form of interactive art.

13.8%
  2. I'm sure there are flaws, I just can't think of any right now.

19.3%
  3. It's too early to tell.

66.9%
  1. Cereto

Cereto Subatomic Cosmonaut

Even as far away from release as we are it's quite clear to everyone here that Starbound is an AWESOME game. Hell even if they released it as is, right now, I would play the hell out of it for a very long time.

I see a lot of threads with suggestions of things to add. Some actually good.
    I see mass loving thrown at the developers at every screenshot.

What about the flaws?
    I'm sure development would benefit a lot from negative feedback.

Keep in mind, this is not a "the game lacks [feature]" kind of thread. it's more of a "I dislike [feature] because [reasons]" kind of thread.

I'll start but please, I'm really interested in the opinions of the rest of the community, not about what I dislike in the game, but what you dislike yourself.

I'm really not happy with how the monsters are looking, don't get me wrong, the unique ones are great, really really good. But the random ones... omg it's always one unlucky draw from the ugly jar of features.
    I really hope they keep adding more parts in the random creature pool, better ones.

Ickura, Joffez, ForsakenNoble and 9 others like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

The main thing that's wrong with it is that someone is about to post "it isn't out yet" and it will probably get a fair few likes.

Seriously, though, I would have to kind of agree about the random generation of monsters. It can be a little strange sometimes. I'm also a bit cynical of some of the attempts to add humour to the game, though I won't get into that.

3. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Gah, way to be a "Like" hoarding buzz kill man!

On topic: I'll fish around for a possible flaw here... *pulls off hat and digs around* Ah, here is one.

A flaw may be that Starbound will feel like just another title in this growing genre and that the game won't bring very much new to the table once you are on a planet. This could be the case if; the race story quests are not that great or engaging, the NPC interactions are lacking, or if the generated worlds are not dynamic and feel static.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. From what we have seen there is things some agree and others don't. But as it is early to tell since the game is not released.
    So soon the beta is available a thread like this makes sense to discuss such things as also the point of the beta.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  5. Galactic Mindswipe

Galactic Mindswipe Giant Laser Beams

That it isn't out yet.
    EDIT: It looks like I should read posts before I post... oh well.

6. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Keep in mind the monsters shared in 'Random Monster Fridays' are made by an external generator without color palette matching, in-game monsters will be colored in a more uniform way with an assigned palette.

7. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

In some ways the community. I can stand the, widely seen as horrible, Dota community, with all the Russians, and the people who hate the Russians, and the people who hate the people who hate the Russians, and on and on and on.

But for some reason the Starbound community just bugs me. A lot of people act like a 12 year old who can't seem to wrap the idea around their heads that they aren't the center of the universe and that their ideas aren't the best thing ever.

8. Cereto

Yeah, I know, that's why I made the pool.
    I just think that if it's early enough to say what's good about it then it's also early enough to say what's not.

Cruellyricisti and Jonesy like this.
  9. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

I think you should read the OP.

10. I guess the only thing I dislike is... wait, that's not a proper word to use in this situation, let me start again. The only feature that I'm not so sure about is the random monster generator because it creates some weird looking things. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not talking about the design/individual parts of the monsters, I'm talking about some of the bugs I've seen :love:
    Occasionally a leg or an arm goes missing or is not connected to the torso at all or similar, small visual bugs are present but I guess there's still room for an improvement, other than that I literally love everything about the game and I really mean it :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  11. Retnuh

Retnuh Space Penguin Leader

I agree with TvK, as of right now, I see virtually nothing that I dislike about this game.

12. Hazmat

Hazmat Weight of the Sky

Visually, I dislike the black outline shown around the Hylotl ship in that recent screenshot. Creates a very cartoonish look that doesn't quit fit the aesthetic of the rest of the game.

13. backstabbeth

backstabbeth Pangalactic Porcupine

I love this game so far. The only thing I dislike so far is the lack of larger monsters. yeah there are smaller ones but the monsters seem to cap off at where the generator makes them and there isnt anythign (non boss) thats bigger. I hope this isnt the case for the release game.

Cereto likes this.
  14. AllenKS

AllenKS Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The realization that the game is probably not going to FEEL as gigantic as it truly is.

Watching the biome diversity video again, compiled with the work I've seen on dungeons, monsters and villages I've realized that the worlds probably won't really seem all that alien to each other.

Which there's nothing wrong with that, because I can play Terraria for hours and hours with just the same handful of backgrounds and monsters I've seen since day 1, but with Starbound I kinda had this vision in my head of flying to a planet, getting your equipment ready, touching down, and having to deal with weird gravity effects, super deadly weather conditions, and completely foreign structures and what not...

I was hoping the game would take a darker, harsher, "If you don't have the right hazmat suit and helmet for this planet, I hope you like spontaneous combustion" approach, but the devs wanted to go another way with it, and that's fine too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    XRiZUX, Gilley, shadow wolf and 9 others like this.
  15. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

I'm worried there may be too little truly unique random objects. Like, really rare rare minibiomes that actually differ from ones seen in other places, or something else interesting like that.

shadow wolf, Cereto and AllenKS like this.
  16. JSlade

JSlade Orbital Explorer

The monsters. Some of the ones I've seen (not from the generator, though I don't like a lot of those either) have seemed really out of place. It seems like the devs went for zany humor with some of the designs.

17. MachoBandit

MachoBandit Pangalactic Porcupine

Some people really can't get over the Poo monster thing. I find that amusing.

18. Cereto

Yeah, that's a popular complaint... Let's just hope they don't make too many of those. I think they had a problem with creativity while making monsters for the sewers. But I don't really mind them so far. I think the penguin spaceship is about the right ammount of humor. the poo monsters are a little over but ok. The only problem is that those bring the fear that they will follow that line...
    Since that's about the only feature that had any sort of negative feedback so far, I think it's safe to assume they will be much more carefull about adding those kinds of monsters.
    I'd rather be scared of the unique unknown monsters I find.

Cruellyricisti likes this.
  19. mechaghost2003

mechaghost2003 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ehh humors good but too much kinda spoiles the mood. I meen humans... us just lost our home world. apex are part of a failed revolution. You can't just joke around too much with stuff like that in the game. That being said, this is a game about exploreing new worlds (with fish samurai, robo knights, star cowboys,etc,etc) so you can't angst it up too much either or the journey becomes pointless. I just hope they keep a good tone between the two and strike a good balance.

Cruellyricisti likes this.
  20. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

I completely agree! This is what I was going to write about too, I do not like the random enemies. Sure, there's a few fun ones but they're mostly bland and feel uninteresting and unoriginal. I'm hoping that there's hard rules for what can connect to what during random generation and that it's also in respect to the biome/depth and that there's a crapload more body parts out there than we've seen. Otherwise, I'm not going to like it if it stays where it's at.

Cereto likes this.