1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with the Doomcannon's grenade?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DraikNova, Mar 19, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

According to the wiki, it's supposed to be like a normal shotgun grenade with the exception of look and energy cost. However, in reality, it does no damage at all, making it more or less useless. Is this intentional? Or is it severely bugged?

2. Gon009

Gon009 Subatomic Cosmonaut

From what I remember, grenades tag the enemies and explode when enemy is damaged.

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, but it doesn't do any damage initially, which combined with the way it arcs and doesn't bounce, makes it basically just a nigh-impossible to aim, less damaging version of the main fire. It seems strange for the special fire to be completely useless, and that's why I'm wondering whether it's intentional.

4. Lavender Aces

Lavender Aces Space Spelunker

I was confused as well! However, I found that the purpose of the grenade launcher isn't really to damage enemies initially, it is to tag a large group of enemies with the doom effect. That way, you can finish them all of with a sword slash or piercing shot because doom makes attacks super powerful.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yes, but the thing is, the grenade affects fewer enemies than just shooting in that direction would. Oh well, I guess I'll just mod it.

Lavender Aces likes this.
  6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Ok, I just did some calculations, and...well, perfect set, doomcannon and dual-wielding optimal tier 6 machine pistols (highest possible fire rate) results in each hit from the machine pistol setting off the status effect (0.11*7*4.6*0.3), which means that the DPS from the Doom status effect alone is 2*130/0.11=2364. That's per second. With a damage III augment, the additional damage from the actual machine pistol shots kills the Ruin in 2 seconds. Because that does 2510 damage. Per second.

I think the Doomcannon might be OP as all hell. And I understand a lot better why we have the grenade now. You get a similar but lesser effect with pistols that make around 2.25 shots per second, but in that case it also works against armor if you install a damage III augment. In that case, it does 130*2.25*2=585 damage per second. Enough to kill any armored enemy in under a second.

7. Lavender Aces

Lavender Aces Space Spelunker

I applaud your math prowess and at the same time I am horrified at the shear power you've discovered.

8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Nevermind, I only just realized that the doomcannon's status effect dissipates after activating it once, which brings the doomcannon back down to "useless". The case where my crew members (I have a mod to allow me to take as many as I want with me) instakilled one of Big Ape's projectors was a fluke.

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Seems to be working exactly as intendeed to me. The grenades apply the "doom" effect, and if they take at least 10 damage within 7 seconds, they then take an additional 130.

10. The Lady Eressa

The Lady Eressa Intergalactic Tourist

I think the grenade is really kinda just there for tagging groups (since without accounting for enemies standing super close, the normal "shell pellets" don't pierce) and for looking super cool. I mean, look at that red Saturn coming from my grenade! Isn't it cool looking?
    Btw, it's not like the grenade really needs to be super effective. I beat The Ruin my first time without nanowraps, perfect armor, or any weapons aside from the Doomcannon. I essentially just spammed shooting at the eye, killing the small enemies that got in the way, and avoiding the larger until Ruin decided they were worthless and lasered them to dust. The only thing I did have going for me (other than how great the DC is) is that I used the Felin race (a mod), so I could jump a little higher than your average race.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, but the thing I'm most confused about is that the whole armor-piercing bit is absolutely useless. By the time you've got the doomcannon, most enemies will have 80 defense, which means that your 17.5 DPS isn't going to do diddly squat to them unless you hit them with most of the barrage and have the highest damage armor: 4.6*17.5*0.9(the Doomcannon fires every 0.9 seconds)*0.2/7=2.07. You've got to hit them with 5 of the seven shots, which, given the doomcannon's spread, is a rather infrequent occurence.