1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the reason behind crafting timers?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Another Kevin, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

What's the reason to have this?

Are we "balancing" a sandbox game again?

samv and Pingeh like this.
  2. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

My guess is padding the game length.

Pingeh likes this.
  3. JarinArenos

JarinArenos Pangalactic Porcupine

I always "love" it when people put scare quotes around balance in this context, like a sandbox game isn't supposed to have structure.

4. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

I think he means there's a difference between balance and 'balance'. The former is good, the latter is just weird and pointless, or even frustrating changes, for no real good reason at all.

Pingeh and Another Kevin like this.
  5. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Yup, it was meant that way.

6. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

I kind of like the crafting timers. Hopefully this brings back the Starfoundry mod which was a really awesome mod.

7. LunarAster

LunarAster Master Chief

In the older days of Starbound, I would get a lot of lag issues because I would try to craft as many things as possible, worst case scenario it crashed game game in the middle of "crafting". I'm guessing they implemented timers so that stuff like that would happen...

8. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

So instances of crashing when crafting too much would happen, or wouldn't happen?

9. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

The worst I had when crafting a max stack of things was a micro freeze. Now I am forbidden to change the recipe selection let alone close the window while it's doing it's thing.
    Crafting timers alone were no issue at all, if they weren't forcing you to do NOTHING.
    Clicked a different recipe? ABORT.
    Closed the window? ABORT.

I hoped this would be changed for release as I already hated this aspect when it hit nightly, but yeah, didn't happen.
    Atleast there'll be a mod sooner or later that knocks all crafting times down to milliseconds.

Cazador6000 and AntiStoned like this.
  10. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

Crafting timers were never the problem (although an archaic system like that is pointless in and of itself), the problem is that - like mentioned above - you can't do ANYTHING ELSE while crafting something. Even that tired old Minecraft let you put stuff in the oven and go do something else.

Get the mod, it's small and makes all crafting instant again.

Pingeh and kalez like this.
  11. kalez

kalez Subatomic Cosmonaut

This has been a major annoyance for me so far. I keep forgetting that I have to wait there watching it. I instantly close the menu and then wonder where my new item went lol.

12. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

Again, get the mod Instant Crafting, problem instantly solved. There is absolutely no merit to the craft timer, none.
    God I wish it were this easy to fix the hotbar... 4 friends I've convinced to play the game, they all say that bar is confusing/annoying...

samv and kalez like this.
  13. kalez

God I wish...

It says it is for Cheerful Giraffe (Unstable), though

14. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

It works fine for me. Unstable branch is identical to release. Why not try something before you make up your mind?

15. kalez

Oh, I will definitely try it, I just wanted to be sure of the version.

16. TTStooge

TTStooge Big Damn Hero

I'm pretty sure it's so that you don't craft something by accident and lose a bunch of rare materials you spent an hour gathering.

17. Morimach777

Morimach777 Astral Cartographer

That makes a good amount of sense. Not to mention that, as with anything, no matter what CF does...some folks won't like it. Doesn't mean the crafting timer might not be a legitimate complaint. But, I think we are being a bit too picky too soon.

18. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Though I like the idea of crafting timers - I hate that you can't let the machine work by it self while the timer runs.

lazarus78 likes this.
  19. kalez

Not to be rude at all, but its been 5 years and they had time to test this stuff on us properly. It isn't too soon.

I agree with The Suit here, though. I have no problem with the timers themselves, just let me walk away while they run.

Pingeh likes this.
  20. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Crafting timers were added about mid way through Cheerful Giraffe's development, so they havent been around all that long. However, they seriously need to let us walk away.

Quinch, Pingeh and TTStooge like this.