1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What Would Your Ideal Starbound Be?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheDeviant, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Pretty simple; what would your ideal version of starbound (and indeed, any game) be?
    My views are as such: (copied from my suggestion thread)

-Procedurally generated everything ; creating a few things for each part of a whole and then allowing them to be procedurally generated so as to give millions of combinations of Planets, Monsters, NPCs, Weapons, Armors, Mounts, etc.

Thread with Details: http://community.playstarbound.com/...erated-monster-combination-permutations.2774/

-Extensive creature-capturing; I'm talking bona-fida flipping Pokemon here. Pokemon was amazing because of the variety of Pokemon; now take that variety, put in Procedural generation, and you could have up to a BILLION different creatures to tame and fight against your friends.

Thread with Details: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/orbital-colosseum.1398/

-Mod Support like no other; with procedural generation, if some-body wants to create a new weapon, for example, they can simply enter an OFFICIAL Starbound-Mod-Thingy, where they could enter the sprite, the stats, the parts used to make it, the stats and sprites of those parts, and voila! You have a new weapon! The same could be done with creatures, etc. and this would also allow planet-generation-tools, such as infinite planet generator, or planet-level-editor!

(doesn't really need a thread)

-Legitimate planet-like terrain generation; layers such as high-up, surface, jungles, volcanoes, deserts, plains, swamps, seas, oceans, caves, deep caves, the underworld, etc. that in combination with procedural generation, would always give an amazing and unique exploration experience!

Post by Fishbertus w/details: "Great idea, I already kindof said this in a thread where someone asked how they would make procedurally generated backgrounds, so I told them say there were 5 different layers, each with 4 variations.

Layer 1 (In the front): Large Plains, Large Forest, Large Plains with Lake, Large Forest with Lake
    Layer 2 (Behind 1): Medium Plains, Medium Forest, Medium Plains with River, Medium Forest with River
    Layer 3 (Behind 1 and 2): Small Plains, Small Forest, Small Hilly Plains, Small Hilly Forest
    Layer 4 (Behind 1-3): Medium Mountains, Medium Mountains with some Trees, Medium Mountains with many Trees, Medium Tree covered Mountains
    Layer 5 (Behind 1-4): Small Mountains, Small Mountains with some Trees, Small Snowy Mountains, Small Snowy Mountains with some Trees

This already makes it possible for 4x4x4x4x4 combinations, which is more than ONE THOUSAND combinations for a great looking forest planet background, and the engine can randomely color the trees (maybe light saturated green, light unsaturated green, dark unsaturated, dark saturated,) and if there's 64 different colors (it's not that hard for the devs to pick some random colors) for rocks and 64 different colors for plants (grass/trees) that is now more than FOUR MILLION possible combinations for a forest planet background, with only 20 (22 with the color ones) sprites. And THAT is how powerful a procedural generating engine is. If the devs only have to make 22 sprites per planet type, and the only make these types (swamp, forest, coniferous forest, desert, rocky, mountains, ice, snowy forest, tentacle, candy, tundra, jungle) which is only 264 sprites, not too hard for a team of 3 (is it 4?) spriters to make within say a week, and then there are this many possible combinations for a planet's background:

OVER FIFTY MILLION!

The devs would only have to make that amount of sprites OR LESS for each weapon type, block type etc.. and then the game would be able to have TRILLIONS of possible ways to play.
    Amazing, right?"

-Spore-Style tribes/civilizations and species; each planet, depending on its climate and terrain, automatically uses the results of the terrain procedural generation to determinespecies that could inhabit the world, and then plant them. If left alone, these species will multiply and eventually form into tribes, which can lead attacks against you, and then civilizations, which can develop into massive threats! However, you can also make peace with these species in the same way that you would tame a creature, allowing for extremely immersive gameplay

Details: In le workus.

-Different 'levels' of interaction; first you have the down-to-planet level, where you are actually interacting with the planet yourself, then in the space between two planets where interspace warfare could occur between you and other civilizations, then solar-system civilization building, then galactical combat, and finally a universal scale. This would allow you to mold an empire like no other, and basically turn Starbound into everything that Spore could have been and wasn't.

Details: In le workus.

-Realistic physics; enemies already destroy dirt, but take it to a whole new level with civilizations and allow for catapults, launch mechanisms, and complicated gravity mechanics! If different planets have different levels of gravity, the physics could adjust as well!!!

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/physics.2449/

Also a post by Klok on Variable Gravity/Friction:

"I hope gravity varies per planet, along with the size of the sun sprite in the background. For example, a small sun sprite indicates the sun is far away, leading to low gravity. A huge sun sprite means high gravity. And maybe no sun at all indicates zero gravity, so the smallest jump will launch you a mile and a half.

Now only that, but variable friction would be intriguing. Imagine some planets having air so thick that you instantly come to a stop when you let off the button, and it takes a second or two to build up momentum to move at regular speed. Also, your falls might be slowed because of this, making some falls harmless.

Combine the two, and moving about on a gravityless and frictionless planet is deadly without getting something to anchor yourself to the ground, ie: grappling hook."​

-Genetics; capture monsters, then breed them in your mad-scientist-esque lab via procedural generation, and voila! Suddenly, instead of a billion different slightly different monsters, you get a trillion unique monsters!

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/dna-mixer.465/

-Absolute multiplayer; essentially since there are going to be quests, raids, clans, etc. could be OFFICIALLY possible, not just an in-forum thing

(doesn't need much description)

-Interaction system; essentially a friendship meter, allowing you to see what relations you have with creatures and NPCs alike

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/family-sistem.412/

-Legitimate Technology; I'm talking you can build space stations, satellites, unique machinery, and even invent things!

(in le works)

-Adaptation and Evolution; This is also a bit like genetics; other species evolve with their environment, and so do you! (this idea does clash with the spore-style 'choosing' species that could feasibly live on a planet with a climate, but this works in the next suggestion:)

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/evolution.1537/

-You are God; at a certain point, or with a certain item, you can create a planet from the ground up! You can mold the very planet itself (maybe in detail, or maybe just the general shape), send species to the planet, and watch the evolution process occur! Or simply use it as an incredible map-generator! (even if this is not implemented, I have faith that somebody will mod it)

Now, I won't bother going into specifics, because I know that the developers will undoubtedly think of a way to implement these things better than I, but if all of these things were implemented mechanic-wise...Wow. Simply wow. It would be like combining From Dust, Minecraft, Terraria, Skyrim, and Spore into one amazing-everything-amazing-everything-holllllly-awesome.

Well? What is your Ideal Starbound?

777eza likes this.
  2. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My idea starbound would have to be adventure ;) I want an exciting twist at every cliff hang and a cliff hang at every twist ;)
    ~ John

3. 777eza

777eza Existential Complex

Space Indian Jones mix with sci-fi space exploration like in Evochron Mercenary's

4. d3v3l

d3v3l Guest

I would like to see something with classes that encourages multiplayer teamwork more. Tank / Dps / Ranged / Melee whatnot. I would love to see a summoner class :D

5. MrAwesome

MrAwesome Star Wrangler

My ideal Starbound would be kind of like yours.
    It would have a lot of diversity in monsters and types of planets.
    Some monsters couldn't live in a type of environment others are more adaptable.
    The best feature it would have (not going to happen) is evolution.
    Monsters adapt to a the different environments and modify themselves

6. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Interesting!

7. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I want a StarBound where I can really MOVE. Where I can jump over obstacles and grab onto vines and rebound off walls and roll under traps.

Where I can cling to cliffs and scale vertical surfaces. Flip and jump and fly (with the right tools). I want a starbound with real action exploration!

That's all StarBound really needs at this point to become THE perfect 2-D platforming game.

It already has building. And it already has digging. And it already has crafting.

Now it needs some serious action. Some REAL. SERIOUS action.

8. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

Building a huge mech with a car for a head filled with ridiculous amounts of weapons.

9. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Destroying planets and griefing other people's homeworld. :devil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.