1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What ways can you reduce lag?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by redxlaser15, Jul 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. redxlaser15

redxlaser15 Big Damn Hero

The computer my brother uses to play Starbound is far too much of an old fart and can't really play the game anymore. I'm hoping that there is a way to reduce that a bit, I changed the zoom levels a bit which did HELP, but nearly enough at this point.

It isn't Starbound's fault, that computer is just freaking old and we've been needing to replace it for a while. It's surprising that he's been able to play it with me for as long as he has given that we use FU and a few other mods as well.

2. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Mods...mods my fwend...and I'm pretty sure it's the game not the pc,..Mine's pretty old (I mean it) and with some mods, I can get a sweet smooth fps while no graphical ripperinos = w=
    (OPTIMIZEBOUND FOREVERRR)

3. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Turning of the VSync really help me. Even though I don't know why it could even improve the performance.

I used to play FU mod (a really massive and huge mod), and it lag as hell. But when I turn the VSync off, man, it looks like I just upgrade my PC (it never been upgraded, actually, cause it is an old potato, it's about 12 years old now). It also work well for me when I am not using a mod.

How? You can just manually turn the VSync off by changing it in to "false" in the SB config in your storage folder, because the case is, SB doesn't give us an easy way to turn it off. The name of the file is "starbound.config." Use a notepad to open it and change it from "true" to "false." You can usually find it down below the text.

Other than that, yeah, you can try to use a mod that improve SB performance, just like what Catherine Franz said.

4. Catherine Franz

V-sync off on game
    On on the G.Card = w=

5. redxlaser15

I assume Optimizebound is rather mod compatible, right?

6. Daikon Ocelot

Yes, I believe the mod is compatible with all other mods.

7. redxlaser15

Okay, that's some good stuff to know, thanks for all that!

8. Daikon Ocelot

Me and my friend here are happy to help. You're welcome.

9. redxlaser15

I should be able to turn Vsync off myself without much trouble, given the directions, but is there a mod that does that for you? That'd be way easier.

10. Catherine Franz

Sadly no, a notepad is all ye need > w>

11. redxlaser15

I turned off both VSync and added Optimizebound, and it mostly works, but for some reason the cursor in particular is still being excessively slow. It still jitters/teleports around the screen like what frequently happens (in my experience) with enough lag on a computer.

It doesn't do it on any other game, nor is low on battery.

12. Thaddaios

Thaddaios Space Spelunker

Unfortunately for me, if I turn off Vsync, I get the worst kind of screen-tearing ever known to man. It doesn't matter if I have it fullscreen, borderless, or windowed on my 3440x1440 monitor. So I have to keep it enabled. I still think it's just the game.

13. Daikon Ocelot

Of course, it is. Turning off the VSync and mod is just a temporary solution, not a permanent one, and every player has a different experience and result in trying one.

14. Thaddaios

Thaddaios Space Spelunker

Unfortunately, there are a ton of people having the exact same issue, but it's still not enough to cause the devs to optimize the game better.

Okay, i may have found a solution on reddit that may fix many people's lag issues. Try running the 32-bit version and let us know if this fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2019
  15. Daikon Ocelot

I have heard about it. They say that the 64-bit version has a memory leak or something, well, that is if I remember it correctly. I also heard that running SB in Linux has no problem at all, it runs with zero lag.

16. Catherine Franz

32 bit seems to crash for me a lot (startup)
    Maybe I played too much on x64 and some maps won't load due to size on the memory @ w@ll