What was your worst mistake?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Belethine, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Belethine

Belethine Title Not Found

When you first started playing Stardew Valley, do you remember what did you regret most doing/not doing? What do you think was your worst mistake at the beginning?
    For example I regreted having bought the Plush Bunny at the Egg Festival, it was very expensive at the time, but I bought it anyway because I love collecting everything and I thought that I wouldn't be able to get it later. Besides I wasted about the first five days without growing any crops, because I spent a lot of time getting to know everyone and exploring the whole valley, which made me even poorer xD. I had a terrible first spring.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

My first play-through was riddled with mistakes. Early farm layouts that were badly set up, spending too much on upgrading the house too early, putting down a well-- and later a coop-- in bad locations (in the days before you could move buildings, of course), and so on. The game is extraordinarily forgiving when it comes to making mistakes, but less so when it comes to undoing certain choices you make. I think my two worst 'mistakes' were the unnecessary house upgrade and selecting the Excavator skill. (It sounds useful but schlepping piles of geodes to Clint every day got old /really/ fast.) My one-- and only-- bit of save-file editing was to dump that annoying skill for Gemologist, instead.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
      • Eikos

Eikos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Usually I research games to figure out what to do so I tend not to make any big mistakes. For Stardew Valley I wanted to try figuring out things for myself, including things like crop prices, grow times, villager's favorite items, etc. Buuut, that was way too much effort and I resorted to using the wiki as usual :D

I'd say the most memorable mistake I made was Maru's heart event when she was working at the clinic. I chose one of the bad outcomes. I was thinking of just going along with it, after all mistakes make for great character development. But then it made me feel so bad I restarted the day just to redo that event geeeeeh.

Also, planting fruit trees in the wrong spot.

EDIT: Also, I gifted George some spring onion for his birthday cuz I figured it was close enough to leek. Guess not.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
        • La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

My first play-through was a 1 season recon as I did no research, I wanted to avoid the internet lest I got a spoiler. So my first full play-through was a disaster. Granted, it was under the original scoring system, but Grand-Pa gave me 2 candles, and how I did that, I have no idea. I really didn't understand what the CC was for so I didn't focus on the bundles and do not think I completed a single one (Maybe the Bridge). I was too busy giving stuff away as gifts (to the wrong people) and selling it. I did have a nice farm, but with poor earning crops. And the fishing? I gave up on that after Spring year 1.

I did get a nice notebook of information, and opened and save file just to practice my fishing resulting in my next play-through being much better.

• Feathered Sparks

Feathered Sparks Big Damn Hero

I can't say that I made any really big mistakes, but I did try to figure out gifting through trial-and-error at first, and it didn't end too well :rofl: I kept forgetting who disliked what (including the fact that spring forageables seem to be generally unpopular), and I must have given Sam and Sebastian so many daffodils and dandelions before finally realizing/remembering that neither of them like either of those, lol. I also did the same thing as @Eikos and accidentally picked one of the bad outcomes for Maru's clinic heart event, because from previous experience I thought covering for her was what the game would want me to do. I felt so bad about that outcome that I restarted the day and redid that event as well :rofl:

• queertactics

queertactics Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think my worst mistake has to have been choosing "tracker" for my final foraging skill. I didn't research it and I thought it sounded like a cool idea! Like maybe you could hover over areas on the map and it'd tell you what was there. Worst part about this mistake is there's no way to change it without mods, and since it was my first file I'm trying to mod it as little as possible.

I also JUST realized that upgrading the watering allows you to water more squares at one time. I honestly just thought it'd hold more water, and what does it matter if you've gotta refill it every once in a while? My longest in-game play time is 5 years. I went 5 years with a non-upgraded watering can.

• clauslr

clauslr Space Hobo

I just realised, right now, that the Community Center Bundles could be accessed (and dealt with?) via a button, right next to my inventory. I am in my third year, only short of the Rabbits Foot to be done with the last(?) bundle.

I have made countless trips to that CCenter, when I could have just opened my inventory and placed the things there?!

Though, now it feels like a lazy cheat to have this shortcut :)

• ChemMixer

ChemMixer Subatomic Cosmonaut

You still need to visit Community Center to deposit your items, the button in inventory is just an overview.

Lady Samantha and Belethine like this.
                  • clauslr

clauslr Space Hobo

GOOD! Thank you :)

I only assumed, upon spotting the button, that everything could be done via it. Which would be to easy.

• springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

Let's just say I have yet to get all the way through year 2 without screwing something up. However, I think probably my biggest mistake to date was starting with the River farm layout. (Followed by my not realizing there was a way to get Shane to dance with me at the Year 2 Flower Dance until several in-game weeks after said event, and missing Sam's 3-heart event because it only occurs in year 1.)

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I accidentally sold of Legend once, used bombs to clear out debris too close to my chicken pen, miscalculated my paths so I had to basically remodel half the farm.

I am not a smart man.

• DaniMax7

DaniMax7 Seal Broken

I'd say I made a few mistakes early in the game, not huge ones but missed opportunities. I did not know you could:
                          • use your hoe on the twigs in the ground to get books, artifacts, etc.
                          • learn recipes from the cooking TV show, so now I watch the re-runs on Wednesdays
                          • go to the travelling cart in the beginning since I didn't know the pattern it showed up (Fridays and Sundays)
                          • and finally, giving Sebastian a Salmonberry, which he disliked, and I was 1 heart away from dancing with him at the Spring Flower Dance in Year 1

• Yaushibee

Yaushibee Subatomic Cosmonaut

I too like to reference wikis beforehand with any game I play to avoid as many mistakes as possible but a few still manage to slip by simply through my own incompetence. Like accidentally giving someone an item they hate because I didn't realize I had it selected when clicking on them or accidentally closing the game without saving for the day. I think my biggest mistake though was chopping down a fruit tree that I THOUGHT got singed in a thunderstorm (not only was it totally fine, even if fruit trees are hit by lightening they come back in a few days time I learned belatedly). Of course, this happened early in the game when fruit tree prices were quite a pretty penny to me still.

A more recent mistake was me trying to move a bee house and knocking it straight into a lake.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
                            • Sindrawolf

Sindrawolf Big Damn Hero

My biggest mistake? Almost losing an entire year of progress because of messing with the files.

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The first one that comes to mind was my first playthrough I got a prismatic shard really early on so I gave it to Gunther because I was like "oh! neat! a mineral to give!" and assumed I would find another one fairly easily. T-T

• Belethine

Belethine Title Not Found

I'd die if that happens to me ;_;... But you could fix that right? That's why I always keep a backup of my saves in every game...

• Sindrawolf

Sindrawolf Big Damn Hero

I fixed it yeah. Still made me depressed for a good few hours until I figured it out

• Filmstudy

Filmstudy Subatomic Cosmonaut

This wins.

My dumbest mistake is one I make all the time...having the wrong item in hand for a suited purpose. Like having a pickaxe in hand while in the greenhouse and accidentally destroying an ancient fruit plant.

• Tigerle

Tigerle Subatomic Cosmonaut

Year 1, Summer 27. I wanted to buy my first upgrade for my house. Abigail is waiting with 10 hearts for a mermaids pendant. But i forgot to bring wood with me. Should i buy wood? No--- I need my money for crops in fall.
                                        Year 1, Summer 28 - There is this jellyfish evening. Robin don`t open her shop.
                                        Year 1, Fall 1 - No time to go to Robin. I have to plant all the day.
                                        Year 1, Fall 2 - Upgrading my house.
                                        Year 1, Fall 3 - Its Raining, my house still isnĀ“t upgraded.
                                        Year 1, Fall 28 - Realizing, that Fall 3 was the last raining day in this year...

• Pazzie

Pazzie Space Spelunker

A mistake in not going to watch the Dance Of The Moonlight Jellies. I completely forgot all about that and was looking forward to it too.