1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What type of Story/Lore do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Master Automan IV, Aug 14, 2016.

?

What do you think it should be?

1. Old Story/Lore

39 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Current Story/lore

17 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Singular, yet original and unique plot

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. No story at all. Just lore/No goal

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Race specific plots And/or multiple Plots(Non race specific)

49 vote(s)
    48.0%
  6. Hire me

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Turn Everything into a Edgy mess

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Hire Neil Breen

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Turn it into Jupiter ascending

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. Put alot of "In your face artsy nonsense"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Master Automan IV

Master Automan IV Phantasmal Quasar

Eh. I just don't believe SB has a strong community in my opinion.

*Brandishes Fedora*

2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Then why make a poll?

3. Master Automan IV

Neil Breen(aka GOD) is a good choice.
    Why?

Not only will he give us quality plotlines, but new mechanics.

Neil Breen will give players the ability to gain strength from canned tuna, especially while driving. Each brand new plotline while make the player become a super hacker assassin, Turbo Jesus, Book writer hacker or An organisim from the future to destroy all life.

1. As Super hacker assassin man, you have to climb multiple cliffs, hills and mountains while also using multiple computers to hack the government in the desert. You fell confused and depressed as you use the magical rock to do things. You also suddenly have a dead spouse! Why?

ITS A METAPHOR

2. You play as Turbo Jesus in this plotline.
    You come back to the Galaxy to see how everything is shite. You now go about the Galaxy saving exaggeratedly good people and kill exaggeratedly bad people.
    As we Know Neil Breen is omnipotent and is a moral figure, and really likes it when people are good and hates it when people are bad.
    Why?

ITS A METAPHOR

3. As a Book writer/Super hacker you must hack the government of all it's corrupt secrets.
    You gain a magical rock while hacking into government servers while also doing damage to your laptops. You also having an affair and your spouse dies.
    "But Automan, this is the same as the first one!"

NO, NO, NOOOO.
    You don't understand.

ITS A METAPHOR

It's Pure Breenius.

I changed it.
    JUST FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUU

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2016
  4. ladyKAE

ladyKAE Tentacle Wrangler

A point I see made very often in the forums is that the Hylotl lost their arrogance - but in all honestly they lost a lot more than that.

Does anyone remember Directive #0451? How about the fact that as a Hylotl talking to other races, they would sometimes mention how "they knew what your race had done?" The Hylotl once had full potential to have an incredibly corrupt government ruling over a blissfully ignorant people, but with the new lore that's all gone now. Many of the clues pointing to a corrupt government have been removed, and many of their reasons for their intense hatred of the Floran have also been taken out. It seems like they lost absolutely everything that made them interesting in the first place.

5. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

What" Directive 451"?

6. ladyKAE

ladyKAE Tentacle Wrangler

Quoted from the old Hylotl codex **Spread Your Peace -
    " May the Hylotl spread peace throughout the universe. Be discerning. Be polite. And remember Directive 0451. If you do not know what Directive 0451 is, then do not worry about it. Or ask about it. Just do your job, okay? "

Directive #0451 was never mentioned beyond this, but it did imply (along with other clues) that the government was up to something that they only wanted a special few knowing about.

Gia-Knight likes this.
  7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Considering that the number 451 is somehow related to Deus Ex, I guess it's likely that there's some sort of conspiracy going on...

8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

That's not corruption, thiugh barring a different references it is supposedly the temperature at which book paper burns.
    Paper is made with plant matter.
    And they do not like the Floran.
    :whistles x-files theme:

Gia-Knight, xaliber and Shadencile like this.
  9. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

So the Directive 0451 could have been (Back then) a secret plan to commit genocide on the Florans... That actually makes sense, as, back then, they didn't have much in terms of disagreements about the Florans (Or, in other words, nearly all Hylotl hated them a lot and wanted to exterminate them).

10. Master Automan IV

Starchaser Bound: Chaser's return

Your name: John Chaser.
    Your mission: You, Chaser are resurrected to get revenge on the bloody universe.
    Go through a horrible game just like the last one, and just play the current SB story that is mostly disliked. You thought JoWooD would do better, but you were wrong.

Fuck you, now give us your money.

Good luck Marine!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  11. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Give that a Goty edition and allow everyone to preorder the next game for some special bonus content that will allow your character to jump.

Oh, and don't forget the GameStop exclusive DLC preorder gift on top of that.

In all seriousness though, there are quite a few plot holes within SB

12. ShamanMcLamie

ShamanMcLamie Big Damn Hero

I know this is old as dirt, but I couldn't play the game around launch do to horrific pain popping up around the same time and later turning out to be cancer. Dealing with all of that took up most of my attention for a good few months till the pain subsided then few months later to remembered I should play Starbound again. I haven't gotten too far into the main quest, but I have heard a lot about it.
    Just wanted to put my two cents on this subject and how I think it should be even though it probably won't be changed.

Each Race gets a unique tutorial.
    Human - Escape Earth as it becomes Hentai Horror fest.
    Avian - Weren't sufficiently devout because you only prayed 23 instead of 24 times a day now need to avoid being sacrificed.
    Apex - You're a bad employee because your trying to bailout on your duty to be experimented on.
    Floran - Discovered value of other alien cultures through TV soap operas, just as you're about to find out who the father is you're attacked by aliens whose cousin your tribe ate.
    Glitch - Became self aware and have to escape a society that doesn't like special snowflakes.
    Hylotl - Space Station is attacked by Florans and must not become a fried Mexican snack.

Then you play a Race specific quest line.
    Human - Save Earth before more Japanese school girls fall prey to the tentacles.
    Avian - Convince the Zealots to stop clinging to their Bibles and sacrificial daggers and leave the non - believers alone to marry whoever they want.
    Apex - Help the Rebels end bad working conditions forever and topple the man Big Ape. Break some windows and knock over some trash bins for good measure.
    Floran - Convince the Floran Swarms to stop eating everyone else by exposing them to alien culture and turning them all into Weeaboos.
    Glitch - End the Glitch hive mind by ending the programming that enslaves them all only to realize how depressing life really is.
    Hylotl - Liberate their planet from the Florans originally planning to use violence, but ultimately using a peaceful solution achieved through violence.

Once you finish your race quest you are recruited by the Protectors who are impressed by your deeds and gain access to the other races quest lines. Also as a reward for completing each quest line you gain access to race specific armors and items.

Then we have a final quest where you find out their is an evil conspiracy manipulating everything and topple it.

Sorry for leaving out the Novakid. I couldn't think of an idea since they didn't have much prior lore nor much of a society. I also thought maybe they should have a quest line not totally tied to the main quest.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

What I want is that the racial NPCs get some more character development. They're the characters, and the characters are at least 50% of what makes a story. The most in-depth an exploration of a personality we see is that Nuru is vaguely pacifistic and a bit of a smart-ass. If NPCs could be interacted with a bit more in general, such that you could actually have a conversation with them, that would obviously be fixed, but that'd be a bit much to implement. So each premade NPC having their own premade dialogue tree would do in my opinion.
    I'd also like the player to have some more ability to develop the player character.

Guest0241525 likes this.
  14. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Let's see whether bringing this one back is a good idea.

So, during the Chucklefish AUA, someone brought up the question of why the old lore was removed. Naturally, it didn't get any answer from the developers, so I chimed in with my my own take on the matter, in which I summed up some of my thoughts on the reason behind those changes. Quoting it here for convenience:
    To add to that, even back in 2014, Chucklesh's vision of the final game already featured racial missions and the tentacle beast as the final boss. With that in mind, it actually feels like most of the old lore was simply placeholder content, rather than anything actually intended to become part of the game's storyline.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017
    Lintton and M_Sipher like this.
  15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The Avian loredump was also super-redundant with the Apex setup. Shadowy government surrounding a religious-type figurehead duping its people and having a secret police force and a rebel set being persecuted blarblabrlablrblablrablrablabalrabllb

And the Apex setup was at least represented IN-GAME as you checked out Apex cities, not merely as lorebooks. I rather prefer the Avian "leadership" being "legit" religious and honestly worshipping a god-figure that's NOT supposed to have a living physical form and NOT part of some giganto con.

Guest0241525 likes this.
  16. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Right now, Lintton is flying around in a mech that has a touch of occassus tech. So I'm pretty sure she's in the "morally grey" character area.

But while she would fit more in a darker universe rife with whiskey bottles in space, the current lore makes me want to have more lore than more dark, particularly of humanity. They are certainly undergoing a disaster that would have more than a few desperate to get by, but its good that desperation is not "their hat".

Until then, Lintton is slowly colonizing the Luna system for humanity, be a dear and don't tell the locals.

17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

What strikes me about much of the early lore is how disconnected so much of it was to the game you were actually playing. Like, those "plot" "lines" were things that you maybe could massage into a far more linear game. But for what was clearly meant to be a mostly-free-roam semicartoony Lego set in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace?

The Agaran? They were presented in "fiction" as this new uberthreat that was of course hinted at being tied into the uberconspiracy, but the game never played this out. They only attacked you if you attacked them first, and frankly they were pretty weak opponents. They sold you weapons. They lived in cute mushroom houses with little mushroom critters. There were microdungeons with captive Floran and wrecked Apex labs, but... wasn't that in a sense attacking the "bad guys" just as you do when you enter a Floran hunting ground or Apex tower? And again, they'd let you go peacefully so long as you didn't hit them with a stick or something.

Other stuff just.. was outside the game's technical scope. Glitch hivemind? They never acted like a hivemind. You'd think a hivemind could respond to an invasive threat better (see Star Trek's Borg), but that level of threat-to-the-player really wasn't in the bounds of the game. Hell, the lore also itself contradicted the hivemind idea with the "Dreadwing disguises himself as a Glitch king" story. Wouldn't this new king NOT being part of the hivemind raise a few warning bells? And what about all the mad kings who attacked you but then there were friendly villages? huh?

And yeah, it was all very much in contrast to the actual game's brighter palette and lightly-silly, slightly-cartoony tone. You CAN blend those two disparate tones, but it takes real craft to pull it off... you can't just staplegun a dark story in some RNG-obtained lorebooks and have it "work". It just ends up coming across like
    upload_2017-8-11_18-51-30.png

I mean the current "story" is pretty shallow, I ain't gonna lie. But I'm also not sold on the idea it NEEDS to be more than that. It doesn't feel like you're actually MEANT to conclude a storyline and Make Everything Better, but to travel in a universe and in your own way, make your own story. They just give you a thin plotline to guide you along it.

Jonesy, STCW262, Tamorr and 1 other person like this.
  18. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

I want there to be multiple, equally important stories, so that you can "beat" the game more than once during your gameplay.

19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I would like to see faction choices to make, if anything. choose who and what the protectorate stands for.

20. GameCraving

GameCraving Aquatic Astronaut

Hi do you know
    Do you know how I could read the old lore? Maybe a mod or something? This sounds so good I just need to read all of it.