1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What Race Do You Usually Play As?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ruddthree, Oct 3, 2017.

?

Favorite/Most Played Race?

1. Human

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Floran

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Avian

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Hylotl

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. Apex

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Glitch

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Novakid

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. ruddthree

ruddthree Phantasmal Quasar

It could be your favorite, you like how the racial armor looks, or some other reason. Whatever it is I wanna hear it!

I typically pick Human (for roleplay reasons), or Glitch (because robots are cool), but I've been thinking about switching it up for my next playthough. Each race has their own charm that I like, so it's pretty hard to choose.

Humans have a certain relatability to them.
    With Florans...plants don't normally speak. Or kill. Or walk for that matter.
    Avians have an aura of mystery around them with their religious lore.
    Hylotls are methodical fish people. Doesn't get any crazier than that (except killer plant-people maybe).
    The Glitch are an in-your-face ironic anachronism.
    Novakids are outlaw space cowboys, a fantastic fusion of sci-fi and western.
    The Apex are...the apex of awesomeness. I like their ship the most.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. Random192

Random192 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've always loved florans, They look menacing and cute, and I like their ship and their way of talking and other things.

3. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Well, as if my avatar didn't tell, Avians, because we're the supreme race, made by the mighty sunborn himself, Kluex.
    we have a rich culture, and riches in general! have you seem one of our temples? Pure golden beauty in the resemblance of the sun itself. Our technology is a mystery even for the greatest minds, durable, clean energy source from the crystals theat were a gift from Kluex!

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

My main character, which is the only one I've really played as, is an Apex. I like the variety on offer in their culture, from 1984-esque authoritarian cities with stunted technological access to space age laboratories filled with immoral experiments to rebel camps that wouldn't look out of place in a Cold War action film.

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Florans. Always Florans. Not sure why they appeal to me so much but I really like them.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  6. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

I usually play
    [​IMG]

7. Polecat

Polecat Phantasmal Quasar

Avians here, tho not for the reason my religion-spouting friend does. I found the divide between the religious and non to be interesting. Plus I can tolerate the sounds they make (seriously, Hylotl and Glitch would get more play from me if the sound they made from taking damage was so annoying. Esp Glitch, it's just WAY too long!). Plus Avian's have the cutest little cooing sound when they talk in game. ^_^

FoxDE2 and Nibolas O Anelbozas like this.
  8. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

I love me some Novakids! If anyone can find a mod for the cute mod that makes the Novakids in-cute, that'd be great. I already got the one that makes their faces back to brands, but their hands are still weird :p

9. Arcadoof

Arcadoof Star Wrangler

I prefer Avali, they get some cool gear and ships.
    They also look kinda cute.

LtBlujay likes this.
  10. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I play vanilla Starbound without any mods, so my favorite class is Avians. I'd probably have another favorite class if I used mods, but I don't really like to download them as it makes me feel muddled.

I also like the Red and Gold motif with Avians, and I think they should get their own Red, Black and Gold wall monitors like Apex do, just with Kluex and some Glyph symbols on 'em instead.

Polecat likes this.
  11. The Warpsmith

The Warpsmith Void-Bound Voyager

I have 1 of each but Glitch has always been my favorite

12. Chizuru Minamoto

Chizuru Minamoto Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like to play a few races :

-Hylotl, because for one, I love the heavy asian theme in their buildings, I just find it looks really good (And as a free bonus, they are extremely cheap on building materials, so at least that's not a problem to build houses, exception being roofs which are pretty costy), but also -probably because they are the closest thing we have to lizard people. And I also like their ship, despite it being the smallest ship in the game, I find its well organised in term of rooms.
    -Humans, I play as one from time to time. But asside from a sense of humor, and positivity, they don't have much going for them sadly.
    -Novakids, for when I want to be a space cowboy (and for this, I hope being a member of the Peacekeepers will end up fun, I want to go bounty-hunting). I also like the Novakids' building style as well, and their ship is god-tier, it has a lot of free space to build any way you want, compared to other races having a lot of very small rooms where you can't build anything.
    -And I guess Avian would be my 4th? I mean, they are pretty damn cute afterall. Not too fond of their villages though, but I like their building materials for dungeons. Their ship's form on later stages is kinda annoying though, despite a cool design.

The other races, I am not too fond of. The Glitch are pretty cool, but I just hate their spaceships, can't get over that. Everything else is okay with me. The Apex, I like the theme, but I hate their spaceship, and I don't quite care for ape-people, not a particular thing I like. And Florans... I just don't like them. I mean I find them pretty cool in design, but I just don't care for their culture that much, plus since I play Hylotl, they tend to be quite agressive in their way of talking, so yeah, sorry for Nuru and any Floran fan, but yeah I don't find them very appealing.

ruddthree likes this.
  13. FlyingFloran

FlyingFloran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i play as a modded race because i got bored of the vanilla ones. :{

14. Inferus[RF]

Inferus[RF] Pangalactic Porcupine

I usually play Floran, however, I try to make each character unique and different, my main character was canonically(In term of OCs) an orphan raised on Earth most of his life, therefore lacking the lisp and primal behaviour that most Florans are depicted having.

15. Ace0fJacks

Ace0fJacks Void-Bound Voyager

Truth be told, even though I just started playing Starbound, I've yet to do a vanilla race. The two that I have done are modded races. BUT...were I to play a vanilla race, it'd probably be humans.

16. ruddthree

ruddthree Phantasmal Quasar

I'm doing an almost-complete Apex playthrough, and they seem pretty cool!

17. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Apex is probably the race I've seen played the least. I guess people just don't care for their design? It isn't exactly cute, and that can be detrimental in a pixel game.

My favorite vanilla race is Avian, but I think it's obvious what I play the most if we take mods into account.

18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Floran mostly because I generally love the "junk shop" aesthetic (always have... Jawas, Junkions...) and it goes SO WELL with the silly scavengers.

19. Inferus[RF]

Inferus[RF] Pangalactic Porcupine

You look quite intimidating, I was actually raised on Earth before its destruction, so I am only now learning of my own races culture, I'm pretty sure I cannot fit in.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  20. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I've always gone with the Apex.

NPete28 and Inferus[RF] like this.