1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What operating system will you be playing Starbound on?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by shucklefan1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. George

George Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Windows.

2. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah I googled "weird operating systems" and an article featured it, ReactOS looks very promising for gamers wanting to ditch windows. I tried once before but soon gave up after failing to get wine or playwithlinux to work on zorin and fedora. (Probably should of at least tried ununtu)

3. linukboy

linukboy Orbital Explorer

No opensuse! well I guess when you use an os not that many people use you get used to it.
    so I will be using opensuse xfce,mabye gnome if I get a better laptop, addition.
    I am thinking of getting a pre-built steam os console.

4. Kexy Knave

Kexy Knave Cosmic Narwhal

I'm using it on Win7 x64
    I have Arch Linux on my laptop though, If I can confirm Civ 5 and Skyrim's ability to run well under WINE I will probably
    switch my desktop over to Arch Linux with Steam for Linux on it (Starbound)

Failing all else this computer is a piece a crap so I might just put linux on it and use it as a "web-browsing/starbound box" as I am currently
    since my "good" PC died a horrible death thanks to being in 2 house fires, being moved around, pretty sure my i7 died Q_Q

quick edit: For the curious, both fires happened within a week. My house has since been rebuilt and I'm living in
    it currently ^-^

more edit: Arch doesn't support debian packages T^T
    If I want steam on linux it has to be a Debian based distro, here I was hoping for my ArchLinux/i3-wm
    combo to be all I ever needed lol.

Stuck using this crappy AMD and DDR2 Ram lol, instead of i7 & DDR3

5. aniwey

aniwey Void-Bound Voyager

I'm playing Starbound on Archlinux myself (on a laptop) and it runs very well :)

Although Steam officially only support debian based distros, it is included in Arch's official repositories (the package's name is "steam", simply install it as you would install anything else).

6. Kexy Knave

^ That is awesome, I just hope it's actively kept up to date, compatibility and all that..

edit: sudo pacman -Q steam
    couldn't find steam. It's x64 but I do have multilib enabled in the /etc/pacman.conf file.

7. aniwey

aniwey Void-Bound Voyager

Being in the official repositories, it should be very up to date : last update was made on december the third. Have fun playing on Arch :)

edit : ^ try "sudo pacman -Sy steam"?

8. Silviu C.

Silviu C. Intergalactic Tourist

Linux - trusty ol' Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

9. Simon Petrikov

Simon Petrikov Ketchup Robot

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

10. Platysaur

Platysaur Big Damn Hero

Windows 8 64-bit

11. Kexy Knave

lol I'm an idiot sometimes. Forgot to do
    sudo wifi-menu wlo1
    sudo pacman -Syu

xD

12. cstk

cstk Space Hobo

hello, as SteamOS is avaible now for download, anybody checked if SB can run on it? As im highly interested in playing on it?

13. Krogglidor

Krogglidor Phantasmal Quasar

You realize the thread had been dead for more than a month right?
    and you realize the thread has been dead for almost a week right?

14. cstk

cstk Space Hobo

well I just wanted to ask something, I found a thread that corresponds with my question so I "dig" it up. You prefer that I create a new thread?

15. Krogglidor

SteamOS is linux based, so yes.

16. Bothria

Bothria Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's no rule against necroposting, so long as your reply is on-topic.

To answer OP, Linux, because I plan on doing a lot of modding, and it's much easier to do so. Plus, it runs beautifully.

17. marcelmarci

marcelmarci Void-Bound Voyager

Windows 7 :)

18. Krogglidor

Which is why I didn't report the post, I just told him he revived a dead thread.

19. Tamarama

Tamarama Guest

I'm playing on Manjaro Linux which is an Arch based.

I'm always surprised to see how many people use Wine. I find it pretty unmanageable for playing game, with all the versioning and tweaking you have to do, and then often the end results aren't what's reported in wineappdb. Good on you guys for making it happen. I do use vmware to run a few windows games here and there.

20. Simon Petrikov

Simon Petrikov Ketchup Robot

Just to confirm - It does work on steamOS (I've played it on the alienware x51 under my TV)