1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What operating system will you be playing Starbound on?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by shucklefan1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Mamolian

Mamolian Aquatic Astronaut

Some variant of Linux, Arch Linux most likely. Seriously looking at getting one of the SteamOS consoles, so will play starbound on there too for sure!

2. Kjkillercom

Kjkillercom Pangalactic Porcupine

Windows 8.1 here. The performance difference between 7 and 8 is rather ridiculous sometimes. lol

3. Kjkillercom

Upgrade it to 8.1 and you get your start menu back and all of the "feel" of Windows 7. Though, even with regular Windows 8 you really can use it without ever touching retro..

4. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

Windows 8.1 Pro x64,

I don't use macs as they are not great with games, I'v used macs and played games on them, I don't like how they litterally inverted everything from Windows, Black Cursor, scrolling up goes down and vice versa, the "Close, Maximize/Window-ize, and Minimize" buttons are on the other side of windows,

Lunix? Ah, no, I'v used a Lunix PC before, the one I used was a EE, and it was the worst PC I'v ever seen, let alone use, sure That was years ago and Lunix probably has updated, but I prefer everything about Windows and Windows 8.1,

So I'll defiantly be using my Windows 8.1 Pro x64 for Gaming and Starbound. But won't criticize you for using another OS.

5. mdHD

mdHD Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They said the beta will be available on linux, mac and windows and since i own a mac i think mac os x will do :p

6. ForceablePlace

No, I love Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (I have Windows 8.1 Pro x64) and the Start button opens the Start SCREEN, there is no Start Menu, and hopefully it will never come back as it was pointless and the Start screen is x1000000 better, Windows 8.1 has "a" start button, not "the" start button.

7. Snoerris

Snoerris 2.7182818284590...

Windows 98

carcrasher65 likes this.
  8. jatie1

jatie1 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have Windows 8 which came with my overpriced crappy computer (I was less educated about computers and specs at the time), and if I could, I would downgrade to Win 7. All the new features of Win 8 I never use, such as the start 'screen'. I still always use the desktop for everything. Also, Windows Explorer FTW.

Also, what's the difference between Win 8 and Win 8.1? I'm not sure which one im using.

9. Renlou

Renlou Industrial Terraformer

Win 7. Yeah, I'm boring.

10. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

I love Metro and the Start Screen too, but really, MS should really add an option between using the Start Menu and the Start Screen. They'd make much more money that way.

Either way, people who didn't like Windows 8 should give Windows 8.1 a chance. Even if it doesn't completely bring back the Start Menu, play around with Metro for a bit. You'll get used to it. I did.

11. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

I'm not interested in 'getting used to it', I'm afraid. I'm using a computer, not a mobile phone. I see no need to get used to an interface which wasn't designed for the device I'm using, and I'm perfectly happy with Win7.

12. Kjkillercom

Right click it. Its not a full start menu but its definitely a step forward. :D Also, I agree, Metro is pretty awesome.

13. Bedspread

Bedspread Sandwich Man

Windows 7, because it's what I got.

14. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Alright, I can respect your opinion.

15. SPOOKS80

SPOOKS80 Pangalactic Porcupine

I will be using windows 8.1 :D

16. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

As I respect yours. To each his own. :)

Litagano Motscoud likes this.
  17. ForceablePlace

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! It does act as a startmenu!

There's your start menu guys!

18. ForceablePlace

If you right click the area that opens the start screen, you get a box that can act just like a start menu, and why downgrade? You have windows 8, it increases proformance, so downgrading would make your PC worse,

And windows 8.1 is a FREE update if you own Windows 8, so you can get it, goto the Store on the start screen, and it should be the first HUGE box you see, click it, wait for it to download, then when it's done it will start updating your PC!

The differences are,
    Windows 8.1:
    Again, better performance,
    It adds a "button" in the bottom left, rather then moving your mouse to the bottom left,
    It adds the option to "Start to desktop" witch boots your PC to the desktop rather then Startscreen,
    It adds WAY, and I mean WAY, more customization options for your PC,
    It is still compatable with Wondows 8 games and such, someone said it broke their skyrim, but they fixed that.

It adds a few more little things, and larger ones,

But you said you never use the Startscreen on your Windows 8 PC? And only the desktop?

That's normal! I love Windows 8 and 8.1, there not changing the whole PC into a tablet, there making a Start screen kinda like a tablet, you still use the desktop, not just the start screen, I only use the start screen when searching for something, and when opening things like game shortcuts, since I don't want 400 shortcuts for programs and games on my desktop, I only have these on my desktop, Google Chrome, 3 folders, minecraft, and Steam... that's it... Since everything else is tucked away somewhere else,

So using the desktop doesent make you "not use windows 8" since that's part of it, but Windows 8.1 and 8 both boost performance, and looks, so gaming is a great thing with these 2 updates, and they make finding things ALOT easier!

-Force

19. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

SteamOS, Raspberry Pi with Raspbian, or ReactOS.

Nah I'm just gonna use good 'ol Win7 64-bit

ZangooseSlash likes this.
  20. Kjkillercom

ReactOS... If they could only hurry up and get it in the stable stage of development! Such a promising looking knock-off. :D

carcrasher65 likes this.