1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What operating system will you be playing Starbound on?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by shucklefan1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Windows 7. Maybe 8 too.

2. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

I got a feeling you were one of the people who preferred Vista to XP, because it had much better performance and you could customize the looks to be exactly the same, if you didn't like the new layout.

3. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

No, Vista was absolute crap, it was like Windows 2000, a crash waiting to happen. I am a very tech savy person, I just get annoyed by people saying they hate Windows 8 and don't have a clue about it, how can you hate something you know nothing about?

Corrupt Ai and Gredd18 like this.
  4. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

I got your answer in one word: religion.

Gredd18 likes this.
  5. Softenik

Softenik Pangalactic Porcupine

STEAMOS! :D

6. Munchkin

Munchkin Subatomic Cosmonaut

Whatever I can get my hands on where ever I am :D

Windows 8.1 at home
    osX Mav on the move

its great that they have already stated it will be cross platform Win/osX/Linux from the start (SDL c++ codebase makes it erm easier in the longrun) cause it means i can play it EVERYWHERE :D

7. Nolz

Nolz Pangalactic Porcupine

Windows 7. I dislike the way Win 8 is so focused on touchscreen monitors and from what I've seen there are many games that aren't supported on Mac and Linux.

Sklobington likes this.
  8. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

That's a hell of a flea-market pickup you got there.

9. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

10. Sklobington

Sklobington Void-Bound Voyager

a) I have used it. Please don't make assumptions. And I have also looked into it. I used a laptop that had it. I asked friends and family THEIR opinions on it. I found one person whose opinion was FOR 8, and not against it.
    In fact, several emphatically suggested that I not use it.
    b) To be honest, I've never used 7 and thought "Gee, this lag is really holding me back." It's just not a concern for me.
    c) I JUST made a new 7 partition for my new drive. So by the time that I need to do it again, it'll probably be the next OS, (or Linux will be more compatible with stuff. I can dream...)

So spending cash on an "upgrade" that I don't need, and won't for the foreseeable future is pointless, given that it doesn't give me anything that 7 doesn't, that I want.

11. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

I asked if you had used it and if you had for how long and you ignored the question entirely which generally means you hadn't, and considering you said it was a tile based operating system which isn't true at all, also contributed to the assumption of you never having used it. And I am willing to guess that if you bought a laptop that came with Windows 8 on it that it only had the minimum requirements to operate Windows 8 which would be why it lagged.

And as for the people that told you to not get a Win 8 system, I'd be willing to bet they know nothing of it either.

What? Religion has nothing to do with this conversation or topic even.

Corrupt Ai likes this.
  12. Mountain Lion OSX.
    Though I don't really like the idea of playing on my 11" MBA but at the same time I don't have any other computer...
    I wish I had a big 3 x 27" monitor setup to play Starbound on :(

13. Lila

Lila Phantasmal Quasar

Yup, I was happy
    [​IMG]

14. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

Good ol' XP. It's never failed me (Except Planetary annihilation) and certainly has none of the spyware that comes pre-installed on newer Microsoft systems.

15. JAGYOUARE

JAGYOUARE Phantasmal Quasar

I will be playing on Windows, because I feel that right now it is best for gaming. However, Linux has been showing potential to be a good OS for gaming, as others have said before. I hope that there are more OS's in the future that compete with Windows for gaming, but, until then, I will be using Windows.

16. JAGYOUARE

JAGYOUARE Phantasmal Quasar

I can only imagine: "And here we are with Valve's Gabe Newell XIV at E3 2165 where they have just announced that Steam OS will be released on the 13th of August, 2236..."

17. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

WHOAAAAA that price. That's a steal!

18. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

You asked

Naddox likes this.
  19. Sainte

Sainte Yeah, You!

I'll be playing on Windows 8 and can't wait to play the game ^_^

20. Juice Box

Juice Box Pangalactic Porcupine