1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite race and why?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Combozone, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Combozone

Combozone Existential Complex

This is just a thread to answer some questions and get some different outlooks on the races in Starbound!

I'll start with mine.
    My personal favorite race is the Avians. I love their tribal feel that they all have, and how their whole culture is based around a religion of a real person. The concept of the Grounded and wanting to break away from it is just so enthralling to me (that may just be me though.)
    Also, pirates! The fact that Avians cannot use their wings mean that they need to find other ways of feeling the same experience as flying. With the invention of airships, Avians can now take to the skies and roam where they want to, free of Kluex's oppressive culture.
    That kind of lore and background always makes me happy to play them, and having the objective to "spread my wings" is a great way to start the game, and creates a great feel to it.

NOTE: This is for ALL races in Starbound, not just the playable ones!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Tamorr and Sylxeria like this.
  2. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

Is this for ALL races in the starbound universe? or just the playable ones.

Well, if for only playable races, my favorite would definitely be the Novakid. I love how they don't care about anything and the short attention span. Its a recipe for disaster that is just so funny.
    I love how in the journal when you spawn as a novakid it shows a novakid asking if the Avians god is real. Its a small but entertaining look into the personality that this species carry's.

If its for all races, playable or not, its the penguins. I love penguins in general, and when I got the penguin donor badge I was like "this is my thing now". As you can see my profile pic is penguin related, and my first character ever on starbound was a black and white Avian named "tall penguin". I love how the penguins are these small, cute and cuddly beings, but their actually intelligent kinda shady black market dealers. I hope one day someone makes a penguin mod that adds a lot more to the starbound universe (I am aware there are penguin mods, I'm saying one that adds backstory and culture and everything).

Tamorr and Combozone like this.
  3. Combozone

Sorry! I should have made it clear that it's all races in Starbound, and not just the playable ones.
    Thanks for posting though!

4. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

I prefer the Hylotl, their philosophy and way of life, I think it suits me more than any of the other races.

Tamorr, cat24390 and Lavranzo like this.
  5. Cyber-Toast

Cyber-Toast Big Damn Hero

I prefer the Florans because I love plants

6. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

I prefer humans. Cus I am boring :p

Avians (Big talking birds with an Aztec theme?) Not for me
    Apex (Annoying hostile apes) No thanks
    Florans (Savages?) I'm not evil
    Glitch (Robots with a medival theme) Never liked that theme, no thanks
    Hylotl (fish people with a Japanese nature) I don't like fish. No thanks
    Novakid (Big bags of gas??) No thanks.

7. Sairyu

Sairyu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I do like been Hylotl most, I really love japanse culture
    the arts, their buildings, there way of honor, philosophy
    and also I was alwayse been fascinated aquatic civilization
    like on Starwars I and Bioschock , I hope in future Starbound get some more underwater Biomes ^_^

Tamorr likes this.
  8. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

I like Florans because of there biology, culture, and lore. I like the tribal and simplistic culture and furniture. I also like plants alot and to be an intelligent sentient one is pretty awesome. Finally I really like their backstory because in a way it kinda relates to me.

Tamorr and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  9. Noir Korrane

Noir Korrane Pangalactic Porcupine

Its pretty much the same for me.

Though, Hylotls bother me with the condescending way they treat the other races.

The Slime God likes this.
  10. Sylxeria

Sylxeria Industrial Terraformer

Avians for very similar reasons. Also, I just really like birds and such ^^
    Almost every time I play Starbound since the day my friends convinced me to get it, I've been playing as an Avian. The Glitch seem pretty interesting as well (In a different way that is), though I've only recently started playing as them. Starting to give all the races a try and see what they're like and all - though the Avians will always be my favorite~

11. Combozone

That is EXACTLY how I feel about the Avians as well. Almosts always my choice for when I am making a character.
    It's either them or the Novakid, based on how much I want cool Western clothing. That's my only problem with the Avians: their clothing options are among the worst in the game in my opinion.

Sylxeria likes this.
  12. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

The Avali are my favorite race in the Starbound universe (non-cannon?). Their nomadic lifestyle, a passion for music, and the idea that technology is the way of future speaks to me at a personal level. Their culture of always having someone around; packs, is a really neat concept and how their civilization is built upon teamwork is just really awesome.

In terms of cannon: The Floran.
    Pretty much the same reason for myself.

Kirumaru, Tamorr and Combozone like this.
  13. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

• Florans. I just simply have a love of nature and all that it encompasses. Plants being the most interesting among.
    • Glitch/Avian being a second, I like the concepts. I love birds and I find it quite entertainingly ironic to play a medieval robot like people.
    • hylotl being close to second, I like their architecture and somewhat their culture, despite their arrogant facade. They mean well, just not all things interpret it that way.
    • Humans... Neutral. More so than below. It is average, and probably the easiest to play; since well you know... (dominance on this planet theoretically that is known.)
    • Novikids... I am neutral. Not really fond of them, but I like their ship. I am not overly fond of wild west theme, although like the furniture. In a way it is ironic, since I am a bit spacey almost airhead at times going from one thing to the next; and you think I would relate. Might be the theme that strikes that notion.
    • Apex is my least favorite. Orellion Culture is quite creepy in my opinion. (Note I do not know how to spell that, and keep forgetting)

I do like many of the custom races, including the avali, felins, the dragon-like race, and various anthromorphic ones, and the practically less animalistic ones... I like the creativity that the modding community has come up with no matter how much or little each is fleshed out. I just put the non-vanilla races in a whole other category.:nuruhappy:

Combozone and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  14. Sairyu

Sairyu Subatomic Cosmonaut

Florans are cute in some way and humorish play with especialy on inspect mode ( Hotkey "N" ) they mostly talking in third person
    still most funniest part I wen was play floran in Apex Lab, just press "N' Buttom and click on Apex Life Support pod with Apex in it

and Floran Awnser " Soup !" I Was laughing it was hilarious and cute X3

Tamorr, Combozone and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  15. Gilligan Lanley

D'aww, I didn't notice that. That is really adorable! :nuruhype:

Combozone likes this.
  16. Master Automan IV

Master Automan IV Phantasmal Quasar

biology? I'm sure there's not a lot of that. But sure.
    Let's not talk about biology, mkay? Mkay.

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  17. Gilligan Lanley

Yeeeeaaaah... let's... not.

18. Gilligan Lanley

If you wanted to check out what other people have deduced from exploring the depths of the internet for lore you can take a read at a thread I started. Be warned. Lots WTFBBQ talk has occurred in that thread. You have been warned. :p

Master Automan IV likes this.
  19. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh I remember that discussion. I was going to post a possible compromise to the whole animal vs plant thing, but I decided not to in fear it raised more questions than answers. Despite that they are still my favorite race. Also there is a new Floran fossil with wooden bones...

20. Master Automan IV

Master Automan IV Phantasmal Quasar

Floran fossil with wooden bones?
    Now where did you find that?
    Oh and was that comprise, just its your choice. Cause that's what I was about to say.
    But then the #OMGWTFBBQ happened. And then I just gave up.

Gilligan Lanley likes this.