1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback What is the point of the large universe.chunks file?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by link12313, Jul 29, 2016.

1. link12313

link12313 Space Hobo

What does it store? It can get to be 21MB and most words and 2MB so what's in that file that takes up so much space. And can i delete it without ruining my worlds?

2. technophebe

technophebe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's been a while since I looked at the save files, but IIRC each world you visit is stored as a separate file. Deleting the files doesn't break your save, but it essentially 'wipes' that world, so if you go back to that world the map will be black and the world will be pristine, without any items you added or deleted.

However, your currently orbited world and possibly the last one or two worlds you visited are also stored elsewhere in the save file structure, to make it harder to exploit by scouring a world of chests, exiting and deleting that world, then scouring the world again (it's still possible to do this, but a bit trickier).

This is all assuming that the save file structure hasn't changed significantly in the last six months or so.

Edit: I'm sure I don't need to say this, but just to be safe, make sure you back up your *entire* save game folder and all sub files and folders before messing around in there!

3. link12313

link12313 Space Hobo

I'm only talking about one file the universe.chunks file. But thanks for the reply.

4. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

two words:
    [​IMG]
    truffle shuffle

Also, no. do not delete it. Really don't want to be deleting anything in there if you're not trying to wipe your game. if 20~MB is a premium you cannot afford, I'd suggest uninstalling some games and software ASAP. Full hard drives make for unstable computers.

I would speculate that is the file that ties together the disparate world files. Really just a guess as something would be required to do so and it has an apt name.

5. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

The universe.chunk file I am assuming is explored space... Not planets, but the universe you spread out into. If you have panned and gone to several areas on the star map, then I believe that is what is being saved. As well probably general things like planet location within orbit of star, star location, and the like. Just minor data. Which can build up after a while, just like the mention of world files building up for a while. After all there are more than 4 quintilion stars out there.

So yes quit like what the person above me mentions with the picture of chunk wiggling... Goonies by the way. :nuruhappy:

6. link12313

link12313 Space Hobo

I have seen posts about servers that have a 6GB universe.chunks file. I think that the devs need to to optimize it. Just by giving it a max size. It very bloaty compared to a world file.