1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the point of Barren planets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by redxlaser15, Sep 1, 2017.

1. redxlaser15

redxlaser15 Big Damn Hero

I have seen many barren planets that literally have nothing on it but ground. What am I supposed to do with it? I guess I could make a colony there, but the place is so BORING! I usually like to make stuff in cool environments, not strictly pretty but in places I think are cool. A moon is cooler than that :p

2. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

I installed Better barren mod, don't really know what it does other than what its name implies

3. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

You use the terraformer on them

4. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Wuts dat

5. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

A terraformer is a post game item that can be used to completely change what a planets primary biome is. If you use a Dark Terraformer you will get a midnight biome, and etc. As well in the dungeons that you can get a terraformer you have a chance of getting a microformer which creates a small mini-biome in the area of where it is placed.

6. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Sounds painful. And OP
    I'll never get there, I'm currently overwhelmed with the game, I'm literally walking back and forth on my first planet killing the same monsters and I can't bother to make torches. Might need to just spawn in a bunch of light stims.

7. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's not OP, but it is a slog to get the stuff to terraform with. But then it's post game content anyway.

Rather than light stims you might look into an Explorer's Lantern or a Light Augment for the Environment Protection Pack, which are always on. Failing that, one handed weapon+flashlight.

8. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Good suggestion, noob Starbound player coming through sorry :s

9. Masiakasaurus

No prob, we were all new once.

10. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

I was once very powerful but then I stopped playing, for who knows how long, I deleted my old character and started over as RICK!! I'm wondering what I should do first now that I have all these mods installed.

11. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Barren planets, far as I know, were intended for those that want a flat surface with no mobs around to build and create what ever they want. Similar to the minecraft equivalent flat world or what ever it is called.

I didn't really ever catch onto using those sort of planets beyond maybe practice of build style or something. Then with the terraforming update, at least I could have choice in changing it to a hostile planet of some kind. The flat surface still is, for me, less desirable in the way that I build. There are people out there that do like them for building, while others would simply ignore them for obvious reasons.

12. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Barren planets are like a blank canvas on which to paint anything you desire. More of a creation/artist place than an exploration/experience place.

@NeoslayerX,
    If you make the explorer's lantern, it can then be crafted into a Lantern on a Stick, which is a backpack type item that gives light wherever you go.

13. WingedOracle

WingedOracle Master Chief

I guess you can build on them?

14. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mining helmet + lantern stick if you want a good source of light without placing torch everywhere

15. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I don't see the relevance of this?

16. Masiakasaurus

The OP mentioned light stims, a few of us offered alternatives.

Both the lantern stick and the mining helmet produce light constantly.

17. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yup you can also use the glowing costume but you can't get it early in the game

18. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Wow, I totally missed that post.

19. Mr Brightside

Mr Brightside Void-Bound Voyager

It's a good place to build and create, I think. There are no annoying mobs, npcs, trees and grass, literally nothing. Hm, I think I should build a prison or a castle at such planet someday. But not before I'll build this goddamn zoo that I had in my mind for a long time. Collecting all those pets is time-consuming and I don't want this whole time to get completely wasted. So, yeah, barren planets = environmental construction sites.

20. delucifox

delucifox Void-Bound Voyager

I'm a hoarder so I use them to make "museums" where I have the whole planet to put everything I don't need on display