1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What in your opinion is the best planet to build on/in?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shadencile, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Shadencile

Shadencile Phantasmal Quasar

I thought building on a barren planet was a good idea, but as I realize more and more, it may have been a poor choice, since it has no life except that of which you put there?... Which kinda blows since I thought maybe I could bring more then just tree life to it, maybe be able to change the backdrop and like add little passive mobs... but it does not seem to be a case... so out of curiosity, which planet type do you guys feel is the right one to build on?

2. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

Hmm, I really liked the idea of building on moons actually (before every one of them got meteor showers or was it always like that..? I don't remember), currently I'm building on an asteroid field, kinda as a moon replacement, it can be fun and you can build some interesting things, but the lack of space can get annoying..
    I guess my next favorite would be oceans, they are awesome to build on, but I guess it depends on how big you want to make your building.
    And then.. I guess forests and lush planets are good for building, they have nice backgrounds and the monsters don't do as much damage to the npcs, if you have some
    Hope that helped :p

Shadencile likes this.
  3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I say if you have the guns and want a pixel farm via turrets, build on a dangerous tier planet.

I 've built on various planets except extreme, but my biggest ones were always on asteroids. Not too concerned about space since I started on a big asteroid and spent several stacks circumventing the place with ship wall blocks. The advantage with asteroids is that you can literally build in all directions. So you can have a huge farm here, an apartment for farming tenants there...

If they redo the parallax for asteroid planets, moving is going to suck, so ill stick this one out for as long as i can. :p

Vulcan65654 and Shadencile like this.
  4. Pentigan

Pentigan Subatomic Cosmonaut

Really depends on what you want to build:

Big rustic home for yourself and a few select colonists? Low-tier forest.
    Industrial complex for farming, crafting and a full roster of colonists? Barren, moon or asteroids if you're fine without enemies. Arid, alien or volcanic if you want enemies.
    A test of building skills? Build a base on an ocean planet, with no direct connection to the top or bottom of the ocean when you're done. Full-on submarine house with airlocks.
    An AWESOME test of building skills? See above, but on a lava planet.

Shadencile likes this.
  5. MarshCreature

MarshCreature Void-Bound Voyager

i like building on forest planets since i build stuff like my characters home (includes a large farm area so the rain is a welcome thing) and some large scale colony complexes, defending the colony is simple with a few turrets and its a nice and calm feeling to those planets also snow planets are also nice to build on if you like the feeling of coming home to a warm home and a big bed, building on ocean planets gives me a nice vacation feeling although ive never built in exotic planets like dead planets and volcanic due to the large amounts of danger

Shadencile likes this.
  6. Kerghan

Kerghan Tentacle Wrangler

Usually, I build on asteroid fields or barren/lifeless worlds, but I don't build really much actually. I make one or two base for storage with a lot of crates, some apartments and that's it, I'm not really a good builder.

However, I think I'm going to build on a snow planet or maybe an "aquatic base" in a oceanic planet. It could be nice.

Shadencile likes this.
  7. r31ya

r31ya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I usually adapt on each environment or even using existing building and dungeon.

I'm not that creative so rather than blank canvas, i look around the surrounding and build my mini colonies according to the environment. which cause me to have many small colonies across the stars on many different type of planet.

Sometimes i build while doing my best to follow the terrain will leads to unique design to have. I build this one on a cliff while trying to follow the terrain ground level.

upload_2015-9-18_11-17-0.png

Sometimes i use existing build to modify and expand, such as apartment tower in Avian tower, to use and expand the swamp village model or even mines model. this one use existing avian dungeon building.

upload_2015-9-18_11-19-19.png

I rather not interested in Barren planet really, i prefer the one with critters, trees and good paralax background to add to the atmosphere and theme.

My current project as i try to build hylotl colonies, rendered a little moot after dev try to build their own.

upload_2015-9-18_11-25-47.png

Attached Files:

8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

None and all planets are the best to build on. I tend to build smaller things, and just build. Sometimes it ends up being bigger, and sometimes it is as simple as making a well.

I think the main thing I look for is just features, in the terrain itself. From that I build with the terrain. For those planets with dungeons and the like, I might either tear them down or modify them a bit; as that really depends on my mood at the time.

So for me, anything that is not a barren world, will have my interest at some point. At least when I find the one planet I would call home. Koalas are difficult to find, especially the passive ones. Regardless I would still build here and there as I search for that home of mine. :)

Shadencile likes this.
  9. Shadencile

Thanks guys, these are all really great! and r31ya that is an awesome boat!
    I spent hours the other day traveling from planet to planet collecting resources, I took and entire monkey/plant and bird person town down for the resources D: I am a monster. left all the people homeless.
    Mining wood and bamboo is so fun it comes down super fast. I decided to have my home build on a Lush planet, I spent about an hour flattening it out to a large degree so I could have lots of flat build space. The highlight of the planet is at night, when you see one huge planet surrounded by 3 smaller ones in the sky. I am just curious however, is there any Lush biome that has purple dirt blocks? Or are all Lush biomes destined to have a shade of brown...

10. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

I explored a handful of lush planets while looking for a home and I found a red-ish brown and a regular brown dirt color, I think that's it, but there is purple dirt on other planets

Shadencile likes this.
  11. Shadencile

yeah I know, I just thought It might have been cool if they could have purple dirt as well. I could always manually put purple dirt down. I found a reddish one too. :rofl: I did notice a unique thing about vines on lush planets tho. Every few have vines of different looks and colors. :)

12. Uzkniso

Uzkniso Big Damn Hero

Ocean, for sure.

13. Alessondria

Alessondria Big Damn Hero

I like Kindergarden worlds. Which are "Harmless" starter worlds. I like them because of a few reasons: high rainfall, weak creatures, less monsters. The rain helps crops now. I am in the process of manually teraforming a kindergarden world now. What this means is making the entire world a set elevation. Making the ground all dirt. And removing EVERY hill, EVERY mountain by hand. Getting a flat world with lots of rain and little monsters = a great farming world. The entire planet surface. Then what I like to do is make a single tower that ascends high. Make a 2nd level of dirt (about 10 blocks thick) across the ENTIRE sky. Then I make a 3rd level way way up that also spans the whole planet. I put boxes up there for my warehouse... put all dirt in 1 box, all spare decoartions in another stack and so on. I put trees and other growable plants (ie kelp, cactus) on that level. So after I am done I have a giant farming/ lumber warehouse world. LOTS of work but its fantatsic when done. Plus in the tree level I can easily hunt many birds for their meat. Weaker creatures = easy to kill with a bow. 1 shot in fact with better armor. But it takes many hours to manually teraform a whole planet like this.

For a personal quint little personal mansion I like ocean worlds. Make 1 good sized island. Also doubles as a fish farm :)

For a colony I like the idea of a moonbase. No monsters about. Set up mines all over to extract fuel.

These 3 planets are all I need. Then just go off and consume every other world :D

Shadencile likes this.
  14. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When you said kindergarten world, I thought of steven universe... but it would be cool to have a planet that looked like that

15. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

Lately I've been building on Arid worlds. The different weather types are rather varied. Also goes with the whole wild west themed colony I've been trying to create. 2015-09-20_00001.jpg I Built Gaso'lin Cantina here from an old primitive dusty house.

r31ya likes this.
  16. problempants000

problempants000 Void-Bound Voyager

I personally like barren planets, currently flattening one out (yes, the whole planet, completely flat, background included), gonna cover it with stone and then dirt, and build a planet-wide colony, what sucks is, it's a big planet.

17. DesVoeux

DesVoeux Master Chief

Any world works, although I'm partial to lush worlds for the 2nd prettiest backgrounds (after forests), luminescent rain, and lack of ethereal mobs. Also nice not to have to keep an EPP on.

I keep thinking about building a colony on a scorched world, but can't wrap my head around making people actually live there.

18. Mile-High Hat

Mile-High Hat 2.7182818284590...

i went with an underground bunker-city approach. it's a little rusty and a little stuffy, since i'm trying to keep the ruined-building aesthetic of the preexisting structures, but it's livable!

Ankali likes this.
  19. Electricks

Electricks Intergalactic Tourist

I like to build on the starting garden world or snowy world. I'm in the process of creating a giant space station above my starter world around asteroid.

Yoseiri likes this.
  20. 暴走的南瓜

暴走的南瓜 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OCEAN absolutely, I like big blue ocean:poke:

Yoseiri likes this.