What happens once Beta comes out?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by PidgyEdits, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

I did say they were linked through authentication (meaning the key), but you can download the stand alone client from the site and play offline then give your friend the Steam key to register and play. That's what he was asking. Don't Starve isn't the only game that does this, most indie games that come through the Humble Bundle store or that are included in Humble Bundles follow the same rules.

I let an acquaintance play Don't Starve on her computer, while I have my version on Steam. Authenticate through steam and move all updates over when necessary. It's possible with the set-up but not suggested as I stated before.

Edit: Honestly I wouldn't want to answer for anyone on Staff since it's not my place, I let Omni know people were interested. Spoilered my post because it's not needed.

2. JjForcebreaker

JjForcebreaker Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This.

ktb537 likes this.
  3. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

All Hell Breaks Loose.

4. Mattmatt07

Mattmatt07 Void-Bound Voyager

Is this the same with the beta

5. About the Steam Key I believe if they want to take the Right Action they must block users to chose or the Steam Version or the Normal Version.

It will be predictable that people will even try to Illegally Sell Steam Keys for Starbound if they have 2 copies of Starbound, and if the "news" spread, it will be Bad enough.

6. Yup. Pre-Orders end when Beta start but then you will pay the full-price game in early access. Still is a Closed BETA, only for who buys not for all the public as some other games. ;)

vlamer12 likes this.
  7. Timist

Timist Aquatic Astronaut

That is the faulty logic all companies should avoid, you don't flood a game with DRM to stop people from stealing the game, because guess what? They'll still steal the game, and all you've done is punish the honest people.

Odat, Lost in Nowhere and Luna like this.
  8. Markous

Markous Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the steam key is for people who like to keep up with their games and have the steam community along with the game and will probably be linked to the humble download game. I know some games that you buy at the store allows you to claim your key on steam.

Edit : Also the humble download would allow you to play the game offline without steam since steam has problems with you playing your games offline sometimes.

SuperMann and Luna like this.
  9. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Like most things you buy off of Humble, you can use the DRM free version anywhere you want. We ask that you don't copy or distribute it, because we're small. We generally have a lot of faith in the majority of people to buy what they enjoy. So I doubt we're going to go whacko and stalk people on the internet trying to make sure they paid or whatever.

As far as the auth server key is concerned. We haven't really thought of a good way to distribute the keys yet. Trying to minimize duplicate keys is a bit of a concern (for humble -> steam purchases), but not one I think we're going to lose a lot of sleep over. It's in the "would be nice" column. But I'd rather have ease of use and automation over hassle. So at the end of the day, it *may indeed* be possible to get two different keys from a single purchase. We would rather you didn't give away your second key, but we're not going to be actively checking for it. Just... don't be a jerk. :)

Gellelao, Suika Ibuki, Br4xxx and 5 others like this.
  10. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the taking the time to answers Omni <3
    Hope that helps guys.

11. Commander Shepherd

Commander Shepherd Aquatic Astronaut

12. So you can buy 4 Copies, for the price of 3, and end up with 8 COPIES... And say me that isn't going to be the "professional ilegal resellers" using this to profit?
    I'm not talking about the fans of the game, there are people here who only think in MONEY and don't care or even know what the game is about.

I just imagine, 8 Copies for 45 Dollars, they can resell the game for half-price (since they confirmed higher price for launch) and make guaranteed profit.
    Even if it is illegal, honestly I think you are being "blind" about this.

13. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

You don't usually see a lot of people 'selling' their Steam keys more people just giving them away. I'm more than sure blind isn't the correct term for what he's suggesting. As with all games that come through Humble Bundle there will be mutliple keys, it's not something new with Starbound. Trusting the community and not worrying about is usually how these type of things are handled. Besides people should know better than to buy keys from an unreliable source, and since no one would be able to sell these 'publicly' it would be the purchaser's fault.

Don't forget he said MAYBE they might come up with some form of authentication between now and release.

Luna and Timist like this.
  14. Trusting the Community is not worrying. Trusting the Illegal Resellers that doesn't care about the game and aren't part of the Community, IS.
    And there a BIG illegal market for buy Steam Keys, from resellers, Steam can't even track them since the Keys are there, and no way they can know if that is was given away from the game itself, sold, gifted... You surely aware that in the Internet, EVERY Single Penny of Possible Profit, isn't wasted, if they know they can make money with this, they will, there is no doubt of this, I saw this happening in so many Games already and in some cases, it directly affected the companies Sales (dota 2 steam keys disaster where the game doesn't worth nothing already and resellers still have hundreds of thousands of Keys).

15. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Sorry I don't see it that way. Just like AAA titles indie games are constantly pirated when they meet success. If someone can acquire a real copy of the game in some form of fashion when they couldn't normally afford it that's fine with me. I don't think people selling keys is going to be any sort of downfall for Chucklefish. Dota 2 is worth nothing because Steam gave away 1000s of keys within the first two months of beta I gave away about 12 myself and still have some left over.

I digress, different strokes for different folks. I think you're overreacting a little if this was a big deal then it would have been stopped ages ago with Humble Bundles but since they still sell the copies the exact same way and make way more money than they did upon release I have no qualms for how Chucklefish choose to distribute. I won't go into anymore however it's not appropriate for this Thread or Section.

16. Timist

Timist Aquatic Astronaut

Nothing anyone in the world can do will stop people who don't want to legally purchase something from getting the item, what you're suggesting is going to cost more money to implement than it'll ever save. Not to mention the hours put into designing and implementing a authentication server, then the costs in maintaining the server. In the end all that will accomplish is make it slightly more annoying for legal customers to use the game, it will have ZERO effect on illegal customers, it never ever does, and in many cases the illegal copy is more stable than the legal version.

You are very misguided as to what will protect the developers, getting people to see them as nice guys and girls who just want to provide a good product will stop theft faster than trying to regulate and enforce rules. People have a greater reaction when treated with respect than if they are treated as a potential thief, because the difference between being a potential thief and being an actual thief is in this scenario, the thief has an easier life.

17. Timist

Timist Aquatic Astronaut

Dota 2 is a free game. So there aren't any sales involved, you could for a time pay for a beta key, but that doesn't detract from the fact the game itself was designed to be free.

Luna likes this.
  18. What I saw, and I already worked as GM in a MMO I will not here refer (my country-based), resellers are a Pain, in our work we needed to deal with Millions, really, Millions (spam) of illegal transactions from Keys, from In-Game Cash Currency, and others. Because the Community wasn't a problem, but the resellers saw profit in that, and they made thousands of accounts (stole), sites for cheap buy in-game currency and keys for half of the price (because the same error of the cheap pre-order with free key). In the company numbers it did take some effect, because even said "this is not allowed you will get your account banned" people knew we wasn't really able to track such things. :cry:

It's a complex story I can't really express well in English ^^

19. Timist

Timist Aquatic Astronaut

What you're not understanding is people will steal the game even if Chucklefish spend 3 years designing counter measures, it'd be a costly waste of time, unless you're actually suggesting insanely draconian measures.

Luna likes this.
  20. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

There's good arguments for both ends of the spectrum. I've just come to the conclusion that if there was such a tyrannical re-sell market for indie games it would have already surfaced. Since most indie developers try to have accessibility no matter what, and not worry about locking out those that play it under the table you don't see as much re-sell idiocy than you would in let's say MMOs or other forms of AAA games. I think you're going about it all the wrong way, you're comparing a market in which they can make continuing profit through tricking users, stealing, false advertising etc to one where they would have to already purchase a key to actually sell it. I don't think that can apply here (coming from someone that has worked as a VGM on a few separate MMOs before I can understand your concerns).

Bacon and Timist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.