1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to the tiered guards?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Slayer9112 [SWE], Aug 2, 2016.

1. Slayer9112 [SWE]

Slayer9112 [SWE] Tentacle Wrangler

I have played Starbound 1.0 and I really loved the story and played it to the end.

I did create a colony on the side and I noticed something when I decided to try and spawn in differently tiered guards into one building that I have. Despite having the materials required according to the Starbounder wiki, I only get Durasteel guards spawning in, no other tier ever spawn in, no matter what I do.

This is very strange, as it worked all fine before 1.0. What happened really?
    20160731194953_1.jpg
    As you can see in the screenshot above, in the building to the left, you see that I have four rooms that have tiered beds in them. One is iron, which would not contribute to any tier and should technically just spawn in a tier 1 guard. But.. You notice there are four Tier 4 guards there? I have tried resetting them by taking off the colony deeds and putting them in again, but... same result.

Is this a bug? Or intentional? And if intentional... then why?

Also another huge note I noticed on Starbounder is that the wiki has removed the Tier 5 and Tier 6 guards from the tenants page... Why is this NOT mentioned in the release of 1.0? Why change the colony system so drastically and not inform the people about this?

I simply want answers to why the colony system has been borked up so badly, as it is one aspect of the game I really enjoy. :(

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. Slayer9112 [SWE]

I hate to do a BUMP, but... Does ANYONE know what happened to the tiered guards?

Does anyone even have an answer to this?

3. Monario

Monario Subatomic Cosmonaut

Only thing I can imagine for it being intentional is if they thought it'd be unbalanced. I've no doubt they will reimplement a lot of things soonish because it makes no sense that you can't make high tier furniture, and thus no tiered guards. Maybe they are working on a way for you to be able to craft high tier furniture but that it won't spawn guards... or... I dunno. Nobody actually knows. All speculation.

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Slayer9112 [SWE]

Honestly I find it odd that they did not announce this kind of change beforehand. I mean back when we had Impervium, Cerulium and Rubium, I felt that the guards were pretty balanced. On Volcano Planets, you needed those guards if you didn't want to completely enclose the colony with no exits and entries.

And how is lower tiered guards 'unbalanced'? They are weaker than the Durasteel guards, I mean effort to make their furniture clearly displays the power that a guard would be granted. I can understand that tier 5 and 6 are temporarily removed due to the change in resources (which I find rather strange, I really enjoyed making Impervium and Ferozium furniture and the guards were really cool back then), but to stop me (and others) from spawning lower tiered guards? What? Sounds almost like they broke the guard system completely doing this. :/

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Monario

Yeah I don't know. There's a lot of people complaining about many more things removed, the tiered furniture and guards being at the very bottom of that list, that's how many things were taken apparently lol. I love the game and would most certainly love for it to have even MORE content, because who wouldn't! but I'm happy with the game as it is now too, and eventually my excitement is gonna run out and I'm gonna move on as with everything. Then again a lot of the people complaining have played this game *non-stop* for years, whereas the last time I played this game before 1.0 was AT LEAST one year back, so not only the game feels new, but everything feels much more robust, and a lot of things taken away I didn't even experience lol.

But anyway. Their latest post about the 1.0.5 patch makes mention to them working on their first content patch post 1.0, so I'd say lets calm down and just wait and see :) No doubt when the content patch comes and they give us the list of things added with it, they'll mention other things that they may have wanted to introduce but couldn't, or wanted to leave it for a subsequent patch, or whatever. That's my guess as to when we'll start getting some answers.

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

The Game was Full Released too soon. The Cake is still a bit doughy in the middle. :(

I also don't understand why most of the Elevators were Removed & all made Uncraftable... I liked those things. I also wanna get to be able to Craft & use Electrical Barriers for Doors, & much more. I also agree that T4 Guards won't suffice on Max Level Planets, & i'm still trying to play my way back up to Defense Turrets so I dunno how much or little effective they are yet. Do those still accept Weapons from ya to 'set their damage type'?

7. Slayer9112 [SWE]

I sure hope so. Because the colonization part is one of my big loves back in the beta. And I built Ferozium furnishing like fool. :rofl: Had Ferozium guards everywhere. But I still went with lower tier guards too for variety. Plus I have no use for the refined Aegisalt, Violum and Ferozium, beyond armor and weapons, which I already got now. If they do plan to implement Solarium Furnishing, then im going to be rather interested in how they will design the furnishing then. And how will the furnishing for Aegisalt, Violum and the new Ferozium look like then in that case?

Let's see what 1.0.5 gives. Because honestly, right now, 1.0 feels not like a step forward, but a step backwards... in terms of colonization part.

@Axe Garian: Never gotten to the turret myself so I have no clue. ^^;

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Monario

I think I made a couple of those for a colony test I did but never actually tried adding weapons to them, didn't try, didn't even know that was a thing lol.
    Now looking at things from a market standpoint I kind of understand them removing some things too by the way, I mean it's a dirty way of doing things for sure, but not unseen, when games get released and they cut back on some content, and then a month or a couple months later new content gets released which *used* to be old content for the testers. It's a way for them to keep the game fresh for all the *new* people to the game as well as those that didn't participate that heavily on the alpha and beta. I'm not saying that some of those things removed didn't need some work though, as that might as well be the case too, maybe they killed 2 birds with 1 stone; remove content that needed re-work, and at the same time make sure they will have at least some content to release after 1.0.

Again, kind of filthy way of doing things but whaddayagonnado :p This is all me just speculating though.

Axe Garian likes this.