1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What Exactly Is The USCM?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by VoltageHero, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Rocket Black Man

Rocket Black Man Space Penguin Leader

Based on my multiple playthroughs during the past few patches, I've not seen a single Human NPC settlement (i.e. a village). I've come across maybe two USCM penal colonies (populated by multiple non-human species as prisoners) and roughly six USCM underground bases (populated by humans and their variour robots). I -think- I've come across one or two human NPCs selling clothing near a wagon but that's about it. I'm thinking as the alpha/beta progresses and things are refined a bit, we'll see some more variety/added content specific to NPCs and their various villages/locations.

2. Scout37

Scout37 Tentacle Wrangler

This actually seems to make sense though for the human's back story. After all, you're supposed to be one of a few survivors who fled earth after the tentacle monsters destroyed it. Also, humans supposedly never settled outside of the solar system before the tentacles arrived.

Problem with that is there are masks depicting humans in some avian temples I've found. interesting....

3. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Hate to revive this post, but I wanted to put my two cents somewhere.

The USCM (United Systems Colonel Marines) are pretty much the Human Millitary Force. The prisons were once guarded by the USCM, but they were likely abandoned when word was received about the attack on Earth, and the guards fled to the millitary bunkers, leaving the security systems on. Overtime, its become, well, a trash bin, overrun with prisoners, but they still can't escape due to the still running security system.

As for USCM Bunkers, they are the various USCM outposts across the Universe, run and maintained by various humans, although apparently the USCM rarely recruits other species. They attack human players on entry because they're paranoid, and its likely some of they are corrupt, or have been bought out by crime lords, or they're simply trying to survive. I personally would LOVE and endgame human quest where you had to take command of the USCM and retake Earth.

IronSabre and Viktor_Raion like this.
  4. Canibal_Turtle

Canibal_Turtle Aquatic Astronaut

continuing with the serious lore, i found in an apex tower an apex's blog stating that miniknog and big ape are taking down all apex research facilities as in destroying research (all of it) and taking it and they took a monstrous test subject then leaving. this impling that big ape and miniknog are planning somthing big

5. Hawk Novablast

Maybe it has something to do with the Apex Mutants, or the Agaran's?

6. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

United Systems Colonial Marines. The text for the USCM sign says such.

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  7. ThunderBeta

ThunderBeta Big Damn Hero

They never let me join their clubhouses… They're just so mean and have scary guns and I get lag spikes in their bases after I let myself in…
    In december I wore my santa outfit to celebrate Christmas with the marines and they hadn't even decorated for the holidays! Coal for them!

8. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Some mean guys trying to steal the Element-115/Elerium based technology of my main characters corporation I would say.

9. Hawk Novablast

Hey, we're not all that bad D;

10. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I think you're mistaking the USCM for some evil guy.....

11. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Hey somebody must be responsible for stealing already stolen technology... and negativ*negativ = positiv. That should make humans look good again ;)

12. Hawk Novablast

Why thank you :)

___MeRliN___ likes this.
  13. Canibal_Turtle

Canibal_Turtle Aquatic Astronaut

Raise awareness of the cannibal turtles for they are not willingly eating other turtles for a crazy old man is using mind control on them and making them eat other turtles. You can help these poor marine beings by spreading the word on facebook, youtube, twitter or even post an awareness video on the internet anything can HELP THE TURTLES !!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  14. Hawk Novablast

Oookay?

15. BULLSH1t

BULLSH1t Void-Bound Voyager

i has read all of unites system colonials marines [USCM] codex. i think they have a war with the motherfucking tentacles its invade the earth

16. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Um, don't Colonial Marines need Colonies to look after? Otherwise they're just Marines in space. I can totally see at least some human towns, just not as many as the galaxy's other residences since humanity's civilization was earth-centric.

Judging from logs and behaviors in dungeons, the USCM is the military arm of humanity, and the ones most likely to be dealing with the tentacle menace on earth. However, either the destruction of earth screwed communication(not likely) or diverted resources(more likely), causing USCM bases and prisons alike to fall into disrepair and survivalism. With all eyes on the tentacle threat, it isn't surprising for some prisoners to plan escape or takeovers. Hell the USCM might have even abandoned them in their cells to die to the wildlife/birds. I wouldn't be surprised if some colonies are on the fence with the USCM, but "better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.". :)

If not allied with the Apex Miniknog, they at least are in some sort of trade relationship. The ability to explore(and later expand) would be a great asset to a civilization looking to establish itself among already established space farers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  17. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

To be honest, that's a bit of a harassment.

18. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I think they can, they just have no ship and need to contend with the birds, so the prison helps as a base.

19. DarithD

DarithD Pangalactic Porcupine

Since the last few years, I can't really remember after my retirement from the fleets.But i do remember some of it.

After the tentacle attack, my squad contact the fleets to destroy the pesky alien.

It wasn't long till' that beast tears our communication center,soldiers and the fleets itself.Knowing that there was no hope, i manage to evacuate a little girl and escape from the monster.
    I guess those fleets are crippled even today.

I did stole a grill station, anyone want some steaks?

20. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Whoops! meant the prisoners, not the USCM. It'd be embarrassing to lose ALL your ships on one battle. Not exactly the height of military strategy.

I'll have a steak though!