What does "Use controler -style menus" actually mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ManaUser, Feb 20, 2018.

1. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I've tried turning this off and on, but I see no difference. Note that I do not in fact use a controler, but since the option isn't grayed out, I was assuming it would still do something...

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

It makes the D-Pad and left thumbstick navigate box by box through the menus. With it off the left thumbstick works like a mouse.

• plagueborn667

plagueborn667 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Its best to have it off IMO because of some menu bugs in the crafting screen

nevyn21 likes this.
        • BlueSkyes

BlueSkyes Star Wrangler

Using Controller Style Menus requires a gamepad / controller. It won't affect anything if you use your mouse.

Basically, they are used for quick actions, such as using the joystick to go up and down quickly, as where if it was to be disabled, the controller would acted like a computer mouse. I recommend that you use controller style menus because un-checking the option will make the interface somewhat buggy and harder to use. Hope this helps! :catnod:

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It sucks that just having a controller plugged in messes with positioning on the UI even with controller-style menus turned off, and also causes the controller to vibrate when fishing. My controller is sitting on top of my tower under my desk and it scared me half to death the first time it started vibrating because I thought my 6" top fan had come loose and started eating wires or something.

Anyone know of a workaround on PC to disable controllers entirely if we prefer to play with K&M and unplugging every time is way inconvenient with our setup? I've looked, but I didn't find anything that worked in-game, and it also looks like Xbox 360 wired controllers can't be turned off.

• BlueSkyes

BlueSkyes Star Wrangler

Wouldn't it disable if you unplugged the controller?

• Seismothesaurus

Yes, but as I said, if "unplugging every time is way inconvenient." I was hoping there was a simple option that didn't require crawling behind a desk every time or spending money on a hub, but it seems like there isn't. Oh well.

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

Even without a controller, having the option checked will cause the cursor to snap to the top left of the inventory menu that opens when you right-click on the shipping box. It can be dizzying until you figure out how to turn it off.

Now if we could only get the cursor position after clicking on the zoom buttons fixed...

ManaUser likes this.
                  • ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Huh, so it does.
                    Yeah, that would be nice.

margotbean likes this.
                    • BlueSkyes

BlueSkyes Star Wrangler

Is your controller registered to steam?

• Seismothesaurus

Sorry, I've been away for a few days. I use it with some Steam games and it's "detected" under "general controller settings," but it seems that it's not registered. I've never registered a controller, so I'm not sure exactly what that does.

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

I'm on the PS4 and until recently I used the cursor that is for a mouse and I did like it because it was very fluid and smooth. But recently my game had been glitching on the sleep/save screen. Just before the total of gold earned if I had a message about the birth of an animal the system just crashed. No matter what I did, no luck, so I just had to reset the game losing a whole day of play. When it happened a second time I noticed the cursor had disappeared and I decided to reset the option to a controller setting and viola the game runs perfectly. Baby pigs and goats born and no crashes. The cursor is a bit slower and clunky at times but I'll put up with that to avoid crashes.