1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite and least favourite races?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by BlazingPaladin, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Glitch FTW?

1. Yes.

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. YES!

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. ItsDaPervert

ItsDaPervert Title Not Found

Hylotl and Novakids although the latter sometimes dont seem to fit into the game, take Thomas the Space Ship Engine for example. Also, Im kinda intrigued by the Deadbeats or whatever they are called. Actually, does somebody know if their and Novakid settlements can be on the same planet?
    Anyway, least favourite has to be Apex. At first, I used to make Harambe jokes but then I ran into a Big Ape folks lab on a jungle planet which really weirded me out. That is the stuff of high quality fridge horror.

2. Inferus[RF]

Inferus[RF] Pangalactic Porcupine

I prefer florans and Hylotl, I don't dislike any races and tend to make at least one of each. I also tend to try and make my characters very different from the racial stereotypes and lifestyle from a lore and backstory kind of view.

Needie likes this.
  3. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

I like most races equally, glitches and novakid a little less. The medieval/cowboy themes associated with highly futuristic sci fi beings is fun and all but does not particularly inspire me to build things and imagine stories.

4. NPete28

NPete28 Poptop Tamer

My favorite is definitely Apex because I think they fit the sci-fi vibe of the game, and I love a good rebellion story. All of the races are great, but I would have to say that my least favorite race is Floran because I don't like their constant bloodthirst and threats that they will "sssssstab me" as I walk through their villages.

5. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

My favorite race is the Human, if mod race is included, then I will also choose the Aegi as my favorite race after the Human.

I don' really have least favorite race, but if you insist the minor race will be my least favorite race, except the Agaran and the Fenerox. Those two are awesome. I usually make myself busy renovating their houses.

6. Grifs

Grifs Void-Bound Voyager

Vanilla-wise, I like the Glitch. With mods, Trinks are also a favorite because I like my toasters with arms and legs. I more or less have a soft spot for robbits because I was brainwashed during childhood mostly with giant robots... by people who like giant robots. I mean, my uncle introduced me to the world of real-robot genre via Armored Core, and my parents loved Voltes V when it launched locally in my place. Now that I think of it, they also bought me this Mechwarrior 2 disc and I got hooked to the franchise ever since.

Back to the thread, Florans are in a way, a fav as well as they can also be hilariously ignorant with their surroundings, and would be the sort who would whack your head (if you are a toaster) just to hear how it sounds. They're not really the sort I would prefer to play as, but my playthrough as a Glitch was usually amusing when encountering Floran NPCs.

As for the least, idk. I've also grown to enjoy playing a human character with Frackin' Universe because the physiological limits are easily more relatable compared to tincans and aliens, which makes it even more immersive when exploring hazardous biomes.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  7. Ambose

Ambose Void-Bound Voyager

i love hylotl shun.png also heres my character , his name is shun

but i dont like apex

8. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I change my mind. I don't dislike the minor race anymore. It seems they are also awesome in their own way

9. robbieradiant

robbieradiant Void-Bound Voyager

my modded fav is 100% draconis, and my vanilla fav is probably novakid? with glitch at a very close second
    least favourite is apex. i just. their design just kind of doesn't sit well with me.

10. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

hmm, I actually like all of SB's races (including it's npc ones), my absolute favorites however (factoring in npc races that is) would be the shadows. call me an edgelord but I really like their aesthetic, biome location, not to mention the mystery behind them. if we were talking playable races however, humans, glitch, and apex all tie out for favorite for me, I just like the lore and aesthetics they all have.

now for my least favorite... and this will be a controversial one, but I just can't find the novakid as cool as most people seem to do. I don't think they're terrible mind you, it's just that their lack of lore and less than interesting cultural aesthetic land them the lowest for me. (not that their lack of lore is CF's fault)

meanwhile, I don't really hold any favorites for modded races, and there are too many shitty modded races to list as least favorite, I guess the upcoming theleans for elithian races seem the coolest to me?

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'd say the Apex are my favourite. They're one of the few races whose aesthetic leans heavily into proper science fiction (which can feel surprisingly sparse with all the low-tech villages and camps in the game), but I also like the anachronistic 1984 element of it. Plus, you have the MiniKnog vs Rebellion conflict, which gives them a neat narrative thrust.

For least favourite, I must admit I've never really liked the Floran that much. Their style doesn't grab me as much as the races. I guess since I'm more into the sci-fi aspect of Starbound, an organic tribal aesthetic isn't quite as up my alley.

Armok likes this.
  12. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

My answer is the same as it was 3 years ago: still like the Floran. I don't have a specific reason; I just like them. I still haven't played any other race. In fact, I didn't know the beam down animation was a different colour depending on race until I started watching people play Starbound on Twitch.

13. BAM-BIN-0

BAM-BIN-0 Guest

Glitch supremacy obviously.

wait there are other races in the game? wow how crazy