1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Weirdly Overpowered Tier 4 Snow Planet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by T0ASTY, Feb 2, 2017.

1. T0ASTY

T0ASTY Aquatic Astronaut

So, i was playing starbound and i decided to go to a snow planet to find some titanium. I explored the surface and i came across a "lush sub-biome". Then i found a floran village. I walked through it, looting chests that i came across. But two of the chests were... well, overpowered in my opinion. One of them contained the "Soulseeker" sword and the other contained the "Cartilage Gun"! They are both legendary weapons. Is this normal? Or is it some sort of insane luck? Anyway, after that, i found a human camp and got 5 rescue sidequests. I don't think that's luck but it seemed weird. Also, i found alpacas, avians and a Miniknog Lab Dungeon (Apex dungeon). The planet is very large(6000 sectors) and i haven't fully explored it yet. Doesn't all of this seem way too overpowered? I'd love to get some answers from you.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Simply luck. Every large enough congregation of NPC (even those spawned with commands!) spawns a certain amount of quests, and maximum amount of quests that can spawn at the same location simultaniously seems to hover around 6 or 7. Also, you may want to doble-check in regards to "overpowered" weapons; Cartilage Gun's projectiles are influenced by gravity (i.e. they'll fall slightly down by time they'll reach their target) and thus may be harder to aim, and Soulseeker has no combo and so on practice closer to axe without windup time than to shortsword.

T0ASTY likes this.
  3. T0ASTY

T0ASTY Aquatic Astronaut

Thank you for the answer. I haven't been playing for a while. Since I'm getting back into the game, some things don't seem usual. Anyway, thank you for the explanation. The weapons are not too OP but they actually are alot better than my previous equipment.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Although a Soulseeker is actually pretty darn good. Soulseeker's are ridiculously high in DPS for their tier; a minor pseudo-spoiler: you'll want to hold on to them for the post-endgame.

T0ASTY likes this.
  5. Albirei

Albirei Phantasmal Quasar

It's luck. I once found 5 evil eyes on one Tier 4 planet (two of them were in one chest!). I was at a loss for words. Ah, mind this is Frackin Universe tiers, which may or may not be the same these days.

T0ASTY likes this.
  6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Nope, that's pretty normal. I found 3 evil eyes on one planet recently, and I was only scouring the surface.

T0ASTY likes this.
  7. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

I found an Flamethrower on my starting planet, i mean the challenge portal but the tier still applies to them

8. Devilducky13

Devilducky13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I belive it was a midnight planet i was on, but i found six legendary weapons on one planet... My luck's been blazing all week...

9. M.Perruque

M.Perruque Void-Bound Voyager

10. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Starbound's rarity system is a bit unconventional. What is and isn't legendary seems to be pretty arbitrary, but as far as I can tell, it has more to do with how difficult an item is to obtain within its respective tier than how "good" it is over all.

For example, the Erchius Eye is a legendary weapon, even though its primary attack has a pretty short range and only deals 15 damage per second. Still, it can be quite difficult to obtain due to the RNG required and the fact that you have to get through the entire Erchius Mining Facility and try again if the Erchius Horror doesn't drop the item on death.