1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Weekly Pixel-off (Current Theme: Cute)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lord Octopus, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

Gahhhhhhhhhh.

Nice theme! And i still have no access to my PC. Bahhh!

Btw. Did something change? The theme isn't posted anymore in the thread, of the week's winner?
    I liked that system, it splits up all the entries, i find it hard to follow it all now, but that's probably just me.

Ovyerus likes this.
  2. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Most likely that the person who won doesn't want to do it.

3. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Here, take my Metroid!

[​IMG]

x1:
    babymetroid.png
    x2:
    babymetroid.png
    x3:
    babymetroid.png

Lord Octopus, Chompy and WoxandWarf like this.
  4. Chompy

Chompy Cosmic Narwhal

Here's my ENTRY!
    It's supposed to be the blue tank from the game Combat on the Atari.
    Not sure if I really like it. I kept the goofy short body/long tracks so it was similar to the original. I tried adding a few details too, but wasn't sure exactly what to add without over-complicating it and making it look confusing because only 4 colors. Also, I didn't scale it up because it's a bit bigger than I usually draw.
    CombatTank2.png

Had to delete and re-post because the dark gray color I originally used didn't look good here to me (looked nice when I was making it though). :c

Edit: Here's a bigger version. Don't look too close or you'll make your eyes bleed because I'm bad at this. :eek:
    CombatTank2.png

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  5. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Entry:
    Look at poor little Jimmy. He never fits in.

x1
    [​IMG]

x2
    [​IMG]

x3
    [​IMG]

Don't you feel bad now?

6. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

Oh thank god that could have been me

Seria-Myouna and WoxandWarf like this.
  7. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

It could be you if you wished it... :unsure:

8. Lord Octopus

Lord Octopus Starship Captain

I have yet to get the 502 error resolved (not for a lack of trying). It is causing an issue where I am unable to edit the initial post in the thread. I will continue fighting with it but after attempting on different computers I suspect the issue not on my end.

9. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

You're probably going to have to get mod/admin to help fix it.

10. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Should we r-r-report it?

Ovyerus likes this.
  11. Hwo Thumb

Hwo Thumb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm too young for this topic; I never played any 8-bit games :)

Chompy and Ovyerus like this.
  12. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

I had a hard time as well. I'm just about too young.

13. Chompy

Chompy Cosmic Narwhal

I've played 8-bit games. :proper:
    I'm only 20 but my mom still has her Atari so I played that with my brothers when I was little. Pitfall! was probably my favorite and I was going to originally do that but for some reason thought Combat would be better. There's also a Gameboy Color I have laying around somewhere... I think that's it for 8-bit stuff that I've played. :p

Ovyerus likes this.
  14. MrDrMuffinPants

MrDrMuffinPants Void-Bound Voyager

currently my sleep schedule is terrible, and school has started, so when both of those are fixed I'll try and do something

15. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

So many good idea's here... good work.

16. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

How long is left? I might think about trying a very mediocre shield'n'sword from Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.
    But at the same time, don't know which is 8-bit and which is 16-bit. I think Zelda, Mario, those games fit? Like, Gameboy period?
    Hah, only 14 and I got Link's Awakening. And some others that I have played. But, of course, I am attracted to older games.
    Also tried some MegaMan, sucked, it's so hardcore, man. :mwahaha:

Chompy likes this.
  17. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

You can tell it's 8 bit because of the color count. If ANY sprite or individual tile has more than 4 colors it is 16 bit or more. That's why my entry is King Koopa instead of bowser because in the original 8 bit Mario he wasn't named bowser.

18. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

Man.. :(
    Tried this, but couldn't make it look decent without 6 colors (including and excluding transparency)
    But, I guess that I might as well show it:
    Pixel-Off 1.png
    x2
    Pixel-Off 1 - x2.png
    x3
    Pixel-Off 1 - x3.png

Tried making Link's weapon a Schimitar, and a rib-cage-ish design on the shield.
    Failed at making it look evil, but I got the Gameboy Advanced menu down pat.

EDIT: And yes, these are the exact colors from it (the purples and sandy yellow) taken from a screenshot from the game itself, using the Color Picker tool

Lord Octopus and Ovyerus like this.
  19. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

Hm. I'm not sure you quite got the challenge... The challenge was to make a sprite of an 8 bit character be it in game character or a portrait and it was supposed to be an upgrade; it's supposed to look better than the original because you are not constricted by space.

Honestly I haven't really seen that from any of the entries but...

20. Hwo Thumb

Hwo Thumb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's Chompy's Combat tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.