1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Weekly Pixel-off (Current Theme: Cute)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lord Octopus, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Octopus

Lord Octopus Starship Captain

I also use paint.

Ovyerus likes this.
  2. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Mind = Blown
    Well, good job at using a program that I fail to use.

3. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Srsly?!?! (Seriously*) U mad bro? (You*)
    How do you use that thing that Microsoft can call a digital art program?

4. Lord Octopus

Pixel by pixel is how I get by.
    I don't need tools or brushes when pixeling, and layers are unnecessary when working small; therefore MS Paint meets my needs. I also have Photoshop, and I use it to remove backgrounds and to convert pictures to GIF for animations. With animations I use an old program called Microsoft GIF Animator. It took a bit to get the hang of, but gives me superior control over the frames.

I have tried other tools for my art, but find most of the features encumbering and their interfaces unintuitive.

Ovyerus likes this.
  5. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Ok. Microsoft GIF Animator? I haven't heard of that. Is there anyway to get it?

6. Lord Octopus

GIF Animator
    Yes it is free ware and I am certain there are better programs available. To use it you also need a way to save files as GIFs.
    I don't know if I would even suggest using it due to its atrocious interface.
    But if 90s something computer interfaces sound rad, and don't want to dish out cash, this program is for you!

Ovyerus likes this.
  7. Mau5GoneMad

Mau5GoneMad Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks FreshSheet and Mianso! I'll try them out!

8. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

You can do layers with paint easily. Figure out a canvas size, and keep adding on that canvas size for each layer you want and make the background a separate color for each layer area. Then when each layer is finished, go to the selection tool and tell it not to sample the background color and move all the layers together.

Lord Octopus likes this.
  9. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Ok thanks! :D

10. Hwo Thumb

Hwo Thumb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ahhhh I screwed up and there's whitespace and what do I do and also here is my entry it is a velociraptor.
    [​IMG]

Edit: AAAAANnnndd the eye closes across three frames but opens in one. That's never going to stop bugging me, but I'm not sure if I'm invested enough to fix it. HELP.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    OrangeWalls, Setsy, Seajun_ and 3 others like this.
  11. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Entry:
    x1

[​IMG]

x2
    [​IMG]

x3
    [​IMG]

Yup.
    It's bread. :p
    No-one said anything about an animal, sooo... yeah.

Lord Octopus and Tomato Master like this.
  12. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

Weeeee! Pixel-Off the 2nd. Let's pixel off the 2nd and pixel off to be 1st. Random isn't it?

Ovyerus likes this.
  13. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Random? You don't say???? :p

14. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

Entry:
    x1
    Billy.png

x2
    Billy2.png

x3
    Billy3.png

It's Billy, the rock. He may not do much, but he is the best companion you will ever have!

Chompy, Lord Octopus and Ovyerus like this.
  15. Chompy

Chompy Cosmic Narwhal

Here's my next crappy entry:
    mandog.png
    Dog with a human pet. Oh wait... That's how it actually works I think. At least with my dog. She likes to lead. :p

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  16. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

When you're pixeling rocks, try and give it a rugged inside as well as a rugged outside. Like this
    Untitled-1.png

17. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

I like to keep my stuff simple though, but that's mostly because I suck at making sprites.

18. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Wait a second? The leash is leading into its' mouth. Did it eat its' owner???

Owl_Stalker and Chompy like this.
  19. Hwo Thumb

Hwo Thumb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like to think of "Eaten by Pet Raptor" as the inevitable death of XKCD artist Randall Munroe, but he would be too scared to keep a pet raptor. So it'd just be "Eaten by Raptor."

To answer your question, I left it up to the imagination. Maybe he's got his leash in his mouth because he wants you to take him for a walk?

Chompy and Ovyerus like this.
  20. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

Ok. Makes more sence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.