Weapons and Crafting: customization and ranged weapons

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by BadShaddy, Dec 16, 2013.

1. BadShaddy

BadShaddy Subatomic Cosmonaut

So, I was playing again and I'm at the third sector where I should drop.. tier2 stuff? I suppose yes.
    After I finally got my hands on titanium ingots and crafted the Pioneer set I decided to craft a weapon, a steel sword, to deal with the new enemies.
    Well I was kinda surprised when I found out that with the metalwork station and the robotic crafting table all I could do was a pretty simple sword.
    Curious, though, how that sword have a higher dps than many tier2 weapons I'm finding around (even the uncommon weapons).. but still it lacks the "cool" design of the weapons I find around :(
    So I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to transfer a weapon's graphic/skills to another one, in order to customize them..
    Or a way to add more options to the crafting, like -> smelt a weapon with elemental damage -> obtain a crafting gem with that elemental damage -> use the elemental gem to enchant a newly crafted weapon (crafted weapons can't be smelted to not be too much OP)
    Something like that.

Second thing: why can we craft tech stuff and we can't build a gun?
    We have to wander around the galaxy in order to buy low-dps weapons from Avians.. but we can't craft them.
    Isn't it a little limitating? I think it should be possible to craft guns, maybe the same way as I described the craft for the melee weapons.

2. Prince Facestab

Prince Facestab Yeah, You!

This is pretty much exactly what I want, too! More options for choosing what my gear looks like, and the ability to make my own guns.

3. Rendorl

Rendorl Void-Bound Voyager

You know what would be awesome?
    If we can create separate crafting station for gun related stuff.
    With GUI to ajust gun looks and ability to improve guns with ingots to make them more powerful.
    I see some thing like that:
    When you use this station for the first time you only have random sprites for 1 weapon each class or just pistol, maybe even with uniqe to race sprites
    If you want to custumize it and add more types you have to travel around and look for guns.
    Once you got new gun you can take it to "gun station" and deconstruct. Sort of like with 3d printer (May be even use him to make gunparts and only then begin to mod)
    Then you in special GUI can change details on selected weapon and add ingots and/or some other, specific to type of weapon things to increase damage, speed or decrease energy consumption.
    Imagine something like this:

[​IMG]

Still there is need to balance this upgrades thou.
    To make upgraded weapon on level with melee ones.
    Maybe T10 guns can be upgraded only once when low-thier multiple times.
    Or upgrade can use some craftable component which can define purpose of upgrade, and the higher the tier than more costly recipes will become.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    cosmictruffle and BadShaddy like this.
  4. guymandude

guymandude Space Hobo

The hunting knife you can build at game start is "uncommon". The whole common/uncommon/rare thing doesn't really seem to mean anything at present.

5. BadShaddy

This is a very nice and interesting idea.
    Maybe you can unlock new parts' recipes after you find new materials or craft new stuff.
    I think there are plenty of possibilities to make the "weapon crafting" something really worth it, just a few:
    1) Disassemble the weapons you find around to gain new parts/effects/graphic/stats/recipes
    2) Obtain new recipes for parts after you find new materials
    3) A stand alone crafting table for weapons and parts to combine them into new weapons

I don't really see the point of beign able to craft a Robotic Table and not a gun or different kind of swords, for example.

The "color" for weapons it means they have at least a special ability or different stats than the others, the hunting knife isn't just a "weapons", but it's more like the hunting bow for dropping leather/meat.. so it doesn't really fit the definition of "weapon" in Starbound.

6. BadShaddy