Weapon Weight: What does it do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ConditionOfMan, Mar 16, 2016.

1. ConditionOfMan

ConditionOfMan Intergalactic Tourist

Anyone have a clue what weapon weight does? For example, one weapon with the weight stat is the Claymore with +3 weight, but I haven't found anywhere where this stat is discussed or explained.

• FinalMantasyX

FinalMantasyX Big Damn Hero

It's knockback, even though that really doesn't make any sense.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

If I had to take a guess at weight translating into knock back, it would be that the heavier weight means more force to swing at the same speed, meaning higher 'forward' energy and thus momentum. That energy then transfers from your twenty pounds of steel sword into the enemies (usually) fleshy body, overcoming the forces holding them in their current position (gravity + friction) as well as any momentum towards the character. What energy of the swing that isn't cancelled out by the energy preexisting in the enemies "system" continues in it's original trajectory, but in the enemy's body.

At least, that is what my college pre-physics classwork tells me. You're basically moving from hitting someone head on in a bike to running them down with an SUV.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

It's also probably related to a weapon's swing speed as well, I imagine.

• Lumina

Lumina Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It does if you understand that a heavy weapon can literally knock an opponent off their feet. Being the way the game functions the only way to emulate this is to have it knock enemies back further.