Weapon loadable turrets

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by GammaNu, Sep 9, 2016.

?

This should be in vanilla experience or only as a mod ?

1. Vanilla

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Mod

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. GammaNu

GammaNu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bring back the turrets old behaviors :
    [​IMG]
    Be able to put a weapon in a turret, and the turret use this weapon to fire. So turret can fire with spread, with splash, with bouncing shot, with... like the weapon we put in. And damage depend of the weapon (and why not some solarium turret with a multiplicator to have turret with player comparable damages)
    http://starbounder.org/Defense_Turret

Gotcha! and Jappards like this.
  2. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hell yeah, flamethrower turrets

3. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

I think that the turret must consume energy.

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I'm pretty sure this got pulled once the weapon system changed. I believe they became much more complicated activeitems, but weapons are not something I've looked at heavily - especially the newer system. But I know there is a lot to consider. Secondary abilities for one. And the fact that active items use their own LUA scripts. So this probably isn't a simple request per say.

They won't replace the vanilla turrets, but will use them as ingredients.

I MAY have a station which "eats" both vanilla turrets and guns to spit out a turret that permanently retains their abilities (even after moving). Starbound's LUA has some (intentional) limitations imposed, but this would allow me to make some JSON which includes the path to the scripts used by the guns as a "requirement" of my own. Not to imply I have all this figured out!

And I may demand a power source hooked up... something which is oddly absent in vanilla SB. A power generation/usage system I mean. For some guns, an ammunition system may be required. Say I want to launch consumables like hunting spears, etc.

I'd probably also need more input nodes. One for basic activation(what vanilla does), a second to indicate a preference for secondary fire over primary, and a third for force-fire.

The force fire mode will just fire despite what is or isn't present, whatever the current fire trajectory, and use a damage mode that could in theory hurt players/crew/tenants too. Possibly that won't be too popular... except in multiplayer when you want to deal with friends intruders. Well it would be a fun way to execute clones too.

I'll probably have modules to add. Tiered amplifier chips so your older/favorite turret can scale with the higher difficulty planets. That will of course increase the energy drain! Modules that add behaviors - like always secondary fire(without need to wire), etc.

And now I'm wondering if I want to make driver-less vehicles which are in effect turrets. They'd get damaged, need repaired. Be added.removed the way vehicles are. Possibly patrol an small area. I would need to figure out how to make enemies actively attack them. Also you can't wire vehicles, so an totally different implementation is needed.

GammaNu likes this.