Ways of making money

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fuzzlenop, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Top 3 things you would most want to see implemented

1. Hiring Linus

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Hiring helping hands on the farm

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Having a wheelbarrow to put all your harvested crops in to transport

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. More 'important dates' with your romantic interest to build relationship

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  5. Coupled activities

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  6. Refurbish Joja Mart into your own store

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. Selling cooked food to Gus (for him to try and perhaps add to his menu)

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. Forge a supplier relationship with Gus

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fuzzlenop

fuzzlenop Space Hobo

Hey guys, so after playing numerous hours of Stardew valley, I have to say that I love this game, and thought of some ways it could possibly make it more 'interactive' throughout.

Farming:

Linus:

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel really really sorry for Linus haha, I don't know why but I have a soft spot for him. I was thinking that maybe it would be possible to hire or develop some sort of partnership with Linus for him to help you on the farm by either watering the crops every morning or helping you chop down some trees (as our energy levels are quite low very early game) in exchange for you cooking him some food and feeding him? - I love the recipes, but haven't really found any incentive to create them.

Wheelbarrow:

This could just be me, but ever since I got the green house I'm always running out of room in my inventory due to the same crop having different allocations depending on it's star rating. It would be really nice to have a wheelbarrow or a cart of some sort that you could load all of the crops into so that you could make do with one trip to the shipping box.​

Helping hands:

As the farm gets bigger and the number of crops you have expand, it'd be good if you could hire some workers maybe? A maximum of 3 perhaps? (just so it doesn't get too easy), where perhaps you could assign them to clear a certain area of trees and rocks or water some plants, or harvest crops or even collect eggs from the hen house.

Relationships:

In-laws:

I would really like to see more interaction with the families of your romantic interest. For instance every so often, you need to dine with the in-laws and your love interest while you're 'dating' to build 'interest'. Just to create the sense of investment perhaps? and make it more interactive, as being the creeper I was, kinda just stalked my love interest in order to give them an egg every day (plz don't judge >.<) .

Marriage:

After marriage (I only just got married in game so this next bit could be my ignorance) it would be really nice to have 'dates' - every week or so (not sure about the frequency) to keep your relationship alive. Perhaps more 'coupled' activities, for instance, going into the mines together, foraging together, having picnics on the beach where you have to make use of the crafting recipes(i love the thought of the recipes but just haven't found a reason to actively use them)

Abandoned Joja Mart

I wrote this on another thread, but I thought I'd include it in here for completions sake.

Perhaps once married you could refurnish the Joja Mart into your own store to sell your crops or clothing or other craftable items! I've always thought that perhaps you could craft your own clothing (using the cloth you get from sheeps wool) and then maybe craft some dye (from squashed berries or forages?). Then depending on the season some items will be more popular than others. You could also possibly find out what will be 'trending' through Haley after getting enough hearts with her? idk :3
    Making Recipes for Gus

Perhaps it's possible to make use of the recipes by selling the food you make to Gus for a good profit, perhaps for him to 'add' something to the menu for a really good price (as some recipes do require more ingredients).

You could also forge a 'trading' relationship with him perhaps? As you can produce mayonase and cheese as well as pickles and wine, perhaps at the start/end of every week, he could send you an order of items (e.g. 5 goats cheese, 2 bottles of wine) and then you could pay a visit to him by the end of the week in a cart(which I wish was a craftable item >.<) where he buys the goods of you for a better? price than what you would get if you simply shipped them off.

That's about it from me. I'm sure I've missed a few other points, these ideas could take some work to implement and may make the game a little too easy (I really enjoy the difficulty of the game as I feel it's just right). I really love this game for what it is though it's so awesome. >.< Sorry for the long text and spelling errors I'm sure that are within here, it's late and I needed to brain dump my ideas somewhere hahaha. The ideas above could be really bad or unecessary but they're just my two cents. Let me know what you guys think. :)

Have a good one everybody

• Cardinite

Cardinite Industrial Terraformer

I like this idea! I couldn't think of a way to implement it, but I just realized that upon speaking to them and choosing to assign a task, you'd enter the same screen you get when you place a building. You'd see the radius of how far they can work with highlighted green tiles and you could plop them down to assign the area. Maybe it'd take a few days to clear or you'd only get half the resources than you would if you did it yourself as a compromise.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

I'd rather see JojaMart converted into something like an Inn, like someone else mentioned...and have other people start appearing at the time, including other marriage candidates...so I didn't vote for that. :3

I voted for the in-laws thing cause I just want more dates with them...and "couple activities" in general. WHY CAN'T I GO TO THE BEACH WITH HALEY OR ANY OF THE OTHER GIRLS...OR HAVE PHOTO SESSIONS WITH HALEY IN NATURE...OR HELP LEAH WITH HER ARTWORK...OR "TEACH" ABBY HOW TO FIGHT MONSTERS, etc! D:

Aside from those two, I voted for "more helping hands". Honestly, this one could include Linus (or SHane, for that matter)...or just a random NPC...so I didn't vote for the first one for that reason. ^^

uberlobster likes this.
        • Sienikakku

Sienikakku Poptop Tamer

I wouldn't hire Linus. If you've encountered with the cut-scene of him checking the trashes you might understand why. He himself doesnt like a certain way of living life and i think it wouldnt fit him to work at the farm. It wouldnt fit what he is so i have to highly disagree with hiring him.

I too disagree in a way with the helping hands: your wife/husband helps you sometimes and also sprinklers exist. Maybe it'll work if you pay them: maybe summer workers? Kids from city and so on but there could be a risk some of them are lazy-ass workers (would be boring if they're just working and have no personality).

About the relationship I agree, maybe dates together in the festivals, picnic or something :) maybe going for a swim together at the beach or sitting in front of the fireplace inside the house or outside if you have one: making sausages and marshmellows and talking to each other.

Here is a thread where clothes etc has been discussed: http://community.playstarbound.com/...hen-you-feel-like-something-different.111861/

LeBui and uberlobster like this.
          • Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Just sitting ont he couch watching tv, or reading a book...cuddling...I really love these sorts of things in general, moreso than going out...so being able to do this stuff with your spouse when you end your daily duties early would be freaking awesome. :3

• zoeevee

zoeevee Zero Gravity Genie

I think instead of Linus being able to hire Shane when you complete the Community Center would be nice!

Caudyr likes this.
              • uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know why everyone feels sorry for Linus. He's a free spirit who lives his life on his own terms. I wouldn't mind hiring him to tend my mountain crab pots. Heck, I would settle for helping him set up his own crabs pots instead! He has posted some interesting quests for diamonds and amethysts so he's clearly not a poor, 'poor' man. He sticks to the mountain area so having him help out on the farm seems unnatural. After my first year, he effectively disappeared from my game as there was just never any reason to talk to him anymore.

Shane is the best candidate for employment for obvious reasons.

I really dislike the idea of turning JoJa Mart into a store. Then again, maybe after it gets shut down and your shipments increase significantly, the mayor just can't handle all the work you're giving him so he recommissions the JoJa Mart and hires help. The building becomes a year-round farmer's market where your shipments are stored until they're packaged and sent to other destinations.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

TBH, I like the idea of an Inn better. This would be a great way to introduce "seasonal" NPCs to the village...and could give some *more difficult to woo* marriage candidates as well, since they're seasonal.

A swimmer or marathon running girl to "go along with" Alex's jock image (girl version of that), a "rich guy" to go along with Haley's apparent "rich girl" bit, family members of people in the villages (younger siblings of Jodi, Robin, Kent, Pierre, Caroline, etc. Gives us another way to marry into their family, or marry people that look SIMILAR to them w/o destroying their marraiges!)...there's just so many possibilities that could open up from having an Inn in the town. :3

I really want a sports girl in the game, a swimmer or marathon runner in particular...I love fit girls like that. =x

• Avdima

Avdima Starship Captain

My choices are:

Hiring Linus
                    He was my first friend, he still is my best (highest heart rating, but I didn't touched the game since I reached beginning of second year) and overall, I really like him.

After helping him out and building hearts, it would be cool to see him building a shack and not to make players feel bad for not hiring him for some time, let him work at the ranch (he would go to you one day after building the shack, thank you for helping him out and mention that he found another job at the ranch, so you may stop worrying about him covering the expenses of owning a house).

More important dates and coupled activities
                    I am a sucker for more complex relationship building in games, and if there is an option for a romance, I like to have it be significant, so I marked these two options.

• Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think you get Linus. He's not living in a house and not have a job by choice. It's not that he can't get a job, it's more like he prefer a life of wilderness and free. When you talk to him, he mentioned about how the villagers don't get him as well. He's more of a free and wild man.

I would like more dates and coupled activities, especially repeatable ones.

• zoeevee

To the two crustaceans: I feel sorry for Linus not because of how he's choosing to live but because of how he gets treated because of it. When you first meet him he instantly expects you to make fun of him and trash his tent. He obviously doesn't have a lot of friends or any... He's clearly been hurt by humanity and that just makes me sad :(

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Linus is Linus, and that seems a bit off for linus. I wouldn't mind him somewhere down the line maybe becoming the wizard's helper and he does some foraging jobs for him. This would entail relocation maybe... Depending on if his original spot is taken over by something. But a farm hand does seem out of place for Linus' lifestyle choice.

I like the helping hands idea, although 3 is a bit much; since your wife will eventually help out. Shane would be a good candidate for that, or what someone else mentions of hiring city folk; if not just folk in general that will have a few personalities of their own. Meaning not all are good farm hands. That would at least create a variety in hiring someone from afar.

Not really interested in the wheelbarrow, even if it is a decent idea.

Having more couple options is always nice. Whether that means someone new or someone in town; if not expanding what you can do with the ones you have. Many have thought of wonderful ideas around those, and like reading a lot of them.

Selling food to have gus sell more recipes sounds nice. Although, there has to be some kind of random factor or timely factor to it. Else the list would get too long to scroll through. Timely meaning something like the ones you do deliver him will stay on the menu for X amount of days or so depending on the amount you give him of that cooked recipe. Kind of like you are the supplier. However I am unsure what the perks would be for that besides an indirect money sink.

The joja refurbish thingy... I have to agree with someone else's idea on that. 1 was the Inn mentioned, and I know there were a few others; but the inn one sounds like a most liable case to be such for obvious reasons mentioned by others.

Interesting list of idea, even if I don't fully agree with them. I do like a couple at least. :nuruhappy:

• Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

I wonder who trash his tent, everyone in town are very nice, and I don't think they would be that douchy to vandalize his stuffs. Maybe Alex and Sam if we go by the stereotypical teenage and frat guys doing stupid shits, but they just don't seem like the type. Who knows? However, I guess I feel sorry for him and bring him food every now and then, but I don't think a job is really what he's after or even renting a house since something like that could totally be achievable as long as he's willing to work.

• zoeevee

Agreed completely. That's why I think if you get a helper it should be Shane. He seems to hate his Joja job and giving him a job on your farm would make him happy I think. Especially if you have chickens!

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Probably Seb and co in the past or something. He said "it's happened before"...but he doesn't say WHEN.

They may have done it when they were in school or something...seeing as how they're in their early to mid 20s now.

• Avarwen

Avarwen Pangalactic Porcupine

Love the Joja idea would be cool to sell your wares you could even get your spouse to help you out you could also get to meet new people from other cities if you make something rare. As for the inn idea I'd love to see some of the single villagers get jobs later on maybe a new building later in game to bring new life and characters to Stardew. As for helpers I'd love to see your kids get older (maybe even have the other villagers get married and have kids) and they could come to help on your farm.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016