Waterfall Idea

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Black Mage, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Black Mage

Black Mage Space Hobo

So while making a town in Starbound, I wonder if it was possible to make a waterfall using the water physics in the game. No luck so I figured I check the forums, see if anyone found a way and from what I can tell, no one has. I saw comments from the CF saying they wouldn't mind doing water falls but don't want to make something like "Water source" blocks. This game is Starbound, not minecraft, its not meant to feel like a game world you can abuse the mechanics of.

Well CF, I may have figure out something. Water pump blocks/resources. The idea is a block or machine that has a water input side and a output side. If water it touching the input side, it will pump the water through and out the output side. You can make another block type like water pipe blocks, that allow someone to direct the water flow.

Attached is a very crude and horrendously ugly concept drawing I made in MS paint in 5 minutes. You have the Pump and water pipes that have glass to show if water is going through them (perhaps the crafting recipe is iron and glass). A pump at the bottom of a lake pushes the water into a smaller lake up top and it causes it to overflow, pouring back into the water below, allowing a constant stream, which I represented wonderfully with square shapes, because lazy MS paint is lazy.

Other idea on how this could be use can be in conjunction with the idea that plants must be watered now and players could make a "Water Hole" or well with a pump coming out of it and over the plant. Attach a switch to the pump to turn it on and off, allowing for a quick industrialized way players can water their farms. They have to refill their water area of course, so its not like it's automated and unlimited. Perhaps even make a "splitter pipe" that can course the water down different paths though depending on how much water you are pumping would spread it too thin if you have it going down too many pipes.

This was just my thought on how people could make water falls, and maybe even other creative uses, while not making the game unrealistic or campy. I'm not how well this will work though as I'm sure all that possible constant running water might cause serious lag or slowdown.

Attached Files:

2. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

This idea isn't all that much different to what Terraria first had since they also had water pumps (which could pump other things as well) and that could be used to make a waterfall before they added in the ability for hammers to change block shapes and produce waterfalls that way.

While I say that I'm all for the idea of being able to create waterfalls as well as setting up traps that use the pumps to drop lava or poison water on people.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

God I would kill for pumps and pipes.

toby109tt likes this.
  4. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Depending on the cost of the pipes means that it coule be possible to start moving liquids before you get the upgrade for the Matter Manipulator.

5. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

This kind of idea reminds me of Buildcraft from Minecraft. I LOVE IT. I approve, enormously. :up:

6. toby109tt

toby109tt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Me too ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1448837240][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This would be amazing!!!

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

There are currently mods either pump liquids, or that produce liquids, and when combined with drains you have your waterfall.

8. vernadead

vernadead Big Damn Hero

Going with the pumps and pipes idea, I see another potential use for teleporter cores. If you could set the sending end of a teleportation pipe at an ocean planet and the recieving pipe where you want it.
    since I get more Teleporter cores than I can use.

9. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

If you're suggesting what I think you are which is to put the recieving pipe on a whole other planet then I have two thoughts on that.

1. TIME TO FLOOD A LAVA WORLD!
    2. This would make griefing (by flooding) so much easier for people.

10. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Against them, we need to have the opportunity to place the shield generator on our territory.

But the pump are really required.

11. roman.stanash

roman.stanash Subatomic Cosmonaut

it would be a easy way to farm crops if we had pipes and pumps.

12. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/water-spawner.2733/ can be wired to a fluid sensor for activation. still works
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/automatic-irrigator.3127/ works. does exactly what you said. can be filled with water manually or attached to a nearby water source to draw water.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/gardenbot-2-0-rebooted.3036/ little robots that water/plant/harvest your crops for you. because it's the FUTURE!