Water pressure

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Blar, Nov 11, 2012.

1. schwizzle

schwizzle Starship Captain

Perhaps a gauge that you could click on and then would open up a larger iamge of the gauge that shows the psi of any contained body of water.

Blar likes this.
  2. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

I heard that and it made me sad :(

Blar likes this.
  3. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

Like this?

[​IMG]

Blar likes this.
  4. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

There's a problem, though.

How do we recognize pressurized water from normal water that just isn't well-lit?
    Bubbles would be better, we can't rely on "darker" color since lighting plays a big role in this game.

Blar likes this.
  5. Doesn't dense water look completely normal in real life? I like Zaba35's idea:
    It encourages building tools, and also makes dense water a little more realistic/believable

Blar likes this.
  6. schwizzle

schwizzle Starship Captain

Not exactly. I meant like a speedometer in a car. once it is clicked on it will open a larger view of the gauge.

Blar likes this.
  7. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I like the idea of being able to compress water to a certain degree using pumps.
    There should be a maximum limit to it, since eventually the pump would be weaker than the pressure.
    Being able to manufacture geysers would be useful for traps and decorations on home worlds.

EDIT: And I agree that there should definitely be a way to view compression levels.

8. cdogcdl

cdogcdl Cosmic Narwhal

I agree that something has to set high pressure apart from low, but I'm not sure which of the stated means are best to go by...

9. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

I assume that pressure is also increasing as you go diving deep into oceans, as in, you know "real life" - though if they're going to implement some kind of limits to how much pressure a humanoid can handle, without proper gear, I do not know.
    Crushed by water would certainly make a good trap, just sayin.

Blar likes this.
  10. Tekaru

Tekaru Aquatic Astronaut

Best post in this thread so far...I lol'd so hard.

Blar and Sgt. Sprocket like this.
  11. Galaxy

Galaxy Astral Cartographer

What will water pressure be able to control and change?

Blar likes this.
  12. Sgt. Sprocket

I wonder if WoxandWarf knew what he was starting when he made that firs Emoji Diagram on the first page...

Well, flowing water pushes you. So you could make pitfall/"piston push" style traps with condensed water.

Blar likes this.
  13. Tekaru

Tekaru Aquatic Astronaut

You could use it for home defense aswell... or just to have fun with the game in general.

Blar and Sgt. Sprocket like this.
  14. Sgt. Sprocket

Indoor surfing?
    Oh my god we need surfboards! If we combine surfboards with water pressure do you know how many derps will fly through the air?

Blar and Galaxy like this.
  15. Nesano

Nesano Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hmm... This is definitely a necessary concept but the only trouble is I can't think of a way to make it work. I mean the color of the water won't work because that type of thing occurs naturally. What would be a good way to represent water pressure without making it seem too watered-down?

16. Stahp da bumpz mayn.
    It's so annoying I was about to list a bunch of lame, even more annoying comebacks. I didn't. You're welcome.
    Or did I?
    Your brain is watered-down. You're dense. You don't occur naturally.

WoxandWarf and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  17. Nesano

What are you talking about?

18. The fact that you bumped a thread from like 10 months ago...

19. Nesano

So?

PUNPUNPUNPUNPUN

20. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I see what you did there.

EDIT: I must admit, I'd probably necrobump a 10 month old thread just to make a pun.