1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Was the Starbound in Pre-Alpha comment for real?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bacon, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPDATE 2: Tiy Post in this thread explains, Game is in Alpha. Bart also said the Pre-Alpha came because he was stressed out, the server was crashing badly 5min before they gone live, so they were lucky, eheh.

Heya there.

I got really confuse as many others that noticed it, about the bartwe comment that Starbound is in Pre-Alpha stage of development.
    If this is true, it means Starbound is yet to enter the Alpha stage, before the Beta.

I am wondering, such comment was for real, or a mistake?

I know the game isn't ready and that developers use different terms, but Pre-Alphas are usually "tech demos", not really playable. o_O

Dankvader, Shippo and Inco like this.
  2. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

I believe this one was made just to counter Mollies saying that it is beta, as it is not. Probably an exaggeration

BitHorizon likes this.
  3. Solarius

Solarius Aquatic Astronaut

Stream on the 23rd Tiy slipped the beta word out, and then corrected by saying development stage. So it's all confusing lol.

4. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i believe it is still in "Pre-Alpha". ther game just needs to be refined and the tiers to be implemented. i think there is still a long way to go.

5. popbot

popbot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Don't read too much in to it. This whole forum needs a prescription strength chill pill. Like, the kind of chill pill your doctor wouldn't normally prescribe but for the most serious cases of needing to Chill-The-F-Out. Here, I even found a good song (NSFW language).

Xefs, Aver, madkillller and 7 others like this.
  6. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

All I know is that it's in the stage we can't get it.

Bluxen, Israphial, Hugt and 4 others like this.
  7. That's what should be said, i can't figure out if it was joking about something or serious. One way or the other in game development, patience is what we must have, and i'm not in any rush to play this game earlier. :rofl:

8. Nohar

Nohar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll just link to one of my post (first post, top of the page).
    In short: Bartwe knows what he's talking about, and judging by the definitions of Alpha and Beta, the game is still in its Alpha stage. The term "pre-Alpha" may have been used by Bartwe because the keys features of the game aren't ready yet. Of course, if we really want to know what he meant, we would need to ask him personnaly, in order to clear up the eventual confusion.

9. Yes bartwe is the experienced one in here that can explain, but Pre-Alpha is more defined about the Core Features, that far said they are all there, the Alpha from bartwe for me far what i saw, unless it's one illusion (that we see too much completeness where it's not), Starbound is in Alpha.

Anyway they are working to give us the beta this year and that's all i need. <3

10. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

I did actually notice him saying that, and I was honestly distracted by the undeniably cute Molly at the time he said it.

What was the topic?

Zomgmeister and BitHorizon like this.
  11. zothaq

zothaq Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We are in alpha, there is no way they are still in pre alpha.

madkillller, XRiZUX, RazoR2K and 4 others like this.
  12. sankto

sankto Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm pretty much 100% sure it was the nervousness talking, and a slip of the tongue occured.
    He must have meant Alpha, and not pre-Alpha.

madkillller likes this.
  13. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

Leave it to Chucklefish to say they're making "huge progress" and then say they haven't even made it to Alpha yet.

Time to delay it another year.

14. sankto

Really?

Haven't you even seen all the sudden improvement in the way they deliver? Daily update, more tweeting, streamings, etc.
    And just by looking at the recent gameplay videos, they cannot be a year off from release (of beta).

Catoosie likes this.
  15. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

The one thing I gather from Bart's comment is that he is one guy that doesn't want the game to come out too soon.
    For whatever reason that is.

16. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

Sudden? You have got to be kidding me. They've been doing this for three months and weekly say that they're making big progress. Now they come out and say they're in pre-alpha.

They aren't making the 2013 deadline. I'd bet money on it.

17. UPDATE - Molly said in Stream it was serious, Bartwe said the game it is in Pre-Alpha, not joking, molly said it is Pre-Beta. So i guess even the Devs have different opinions in the state of the game.

We will get the Beta in 2013 they confirmed it again 5min ago. The thing is we may be thinking this game is way more complete than what it is.

riseoflegends likes this.
  18. sankto

I mean sudden because they have been developing the game for a long while before that and before the daily update, there was hardly a new every month of so, sometime less. then BOOM everyday has an update on the front page.

And i'm pretty adamant with the 'pre-alpha' thing, let me repeat myself :
    "I'm pretty much 100% sure it was the nervousness talking, and a slip of the tongue occured.
    He must have meant Alpha, and not pre-Alpha."

EDIT : Well with what Bacon said, it doesn't matter much if it's named 'pre-beta' or 'pre-alpha'. It's still in heavy development, that's what count. And i like to have some faith toward the dev team to manage to deliver the beta in 2013.

Prymael and BitHorizon like this.
  19. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

"I'm pretty much 100% sure it was the nervousness talking, and a slip of the tongue occured.
    He must have meant Alpha, and not pre-Alpha."

You know, he could have been thinking "Pre-Beta" and "Alpha" at the same time, thus the "pre-alpha" slip. It's pretty easy to make, and assuming I had thousands of people watching me I wouldn't even be able to speak, let alone speak correctly.

BitHorizon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.