Warzone Planets For Starbound

Discussion in 'Other' started by legoist, Mar 21, 2015.

1. legoist

legoist Orbital Explorer

Keep in mind that as I am not a game programmer, and therefore have no idea how much of a strain this would put on a computer, or how elaborate this would be to program:

it would be incredible if there was a planet type that was labeled Warzone. here, two races would be battling, and you could choose which side that you would fight for. there would be smaller quests where you (for example) healed a soldier, protected/fortified a base, created crops or mined for soldiers, or attacked an enemy base/army (so that defense, offense, building, mining, and farming would all be present). if you completed a quest, you would be awarded in pixels or weaponry. If you died on a warzone planet, you would respawn in an allied base (there would be the temporary teleporters that are currently being developed).

at the data screen on your ship for a warzone planet, there would be a small slider, indicating which side (or race) is winning. by changing the slider by completing the quests or killing enemy troops, you would earn cosmetic or real armor and weaponry, and there would be a significant award for entirely conquering a planet (through 100% completion of the slider in your favor). this could easily incorporate into the gameplay, as there could be key items, like ship upgrades, that you could earn by conquering a planet.

you might inquire why this would have any value in the overall starbound gameplay. in my opinion, it would only improve it. currently, there is little affiliation with your race, and even less with other races. by playing with or against them on a battlefield, you would begin to become more familiar with their personalities, and become more invested and immersed in the gameplay. it would also add a new general feature onto the game, allowing people interested in brawling 2-D action to be attracted to starbound. the battleground would also be optional, allowing players not interested in this type of gameplay to avoid it.

this sort of battleground experience would fit in seamlessly with starbound gameplay. already, the game is filled with creative and awesome weaponry, and allowing this to be clashing on a battlefield would be incredible. seeing medieval glitch weaponry and apex tech collide together would be astounding, and this combined with starbounds unique maps would only stimulate this battleground. The battling would also work really well with multiplayer, as you could work together with your friends, or fight against them on opposing sides.

a warzone planet could also open up starship battle. by having a space blockade around a warring planet, having space combat would actually have reason, and being given a jetpack to fly up to a mothership and take it down from the inside would work especially well, and be absolutely AWESOME.

this design choice would also be able to add in a new plethora of race-themed bosses. on the battlegrounds, you could enter specific areas where a boss would spawn, and here you could fight generals, mechs, super soldiers, kings, motherships... the list goes on.

again however, keep in mind that i have no idea the possible time consumption that this would take, but would find it to be a great addition to starbound. I think that most would find this to be an enthralling and enjoyable experience and add on to an already amazing game.

Solar Ace likes this.
  2. Solar Ace

Solar Ace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This idea is absolutely brilliant! Except for some parts which I disagree with...

3. EZPZ Melty

EZPZ Melty Seal Broken

It is a great start but I think that if you wanted this as official content, you'd have to be considerate of official lore. The player is a part of the Terrene Protectorate and

even got help from the cultivator after you defeat the ruin.

So I cannot help but think that the player as a character should have a sense of higher purpose in establishing peace between all races in the universe.

I like your idea but I imagine that is a whole ton of work. There are infinite reasons why one would go to war with another. On top of this, not all factions of a singular race would entirely agree with each other. A good example of this was when Riot Games was starting to revamp the lore of League of Legends. When the lore wasn't much, Demacia and Noxus as two individual nations seemed to be like the poster match up of Good vs Evil. Years later they started to introduce villains within their own nations and gave nations better identities.

Same goes with Starbound lore. From the tutorial you can already see that the Terrene Protectorate is multi-racial and there is no doubt that there would be other multi-racial locations like the outpost. It is also most likely that the news of your good deeds would have spread within the outpost and eventually to other planets and sectors. You could argue that "But I don't see any multi-racial villages." I honestly only see that currently as a game limitation and that Starbound is still somewhat of an infant as far as games with updates are. We have yet to see what Chucklefish can create behind closed doors(hopefully more story ;P).

4. Solar Ace

Solar Ace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Of course it could just be a mini biome. Littered with tanks and barbed wire. There could be empty camps on both sides and they would have different appearances depending on who was fighting. There would be some cripples, junk merchants, and Scrappers wandering the battlefield. So many possibilities!

5. EZPZ Melty

EZPZ Melty Seal Broken

His idea was to create a reputation system between races. I am with OP on the idea of a rep system. What I am saying is that it is probably hard to revolve the system around just races since there are probably a lot of multi-racial factions and locations like the Terrene Protectorate and the outpost(which is not necessarily part of the Terrene Protectrate). If it would just be per planet, it wouldn't seem significant enough for me to implement.