1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

warp coordinates

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jwitch, Jan 27, 2016.

1. jwitch

jwitch Space Hobo

what do the different numbers represent when specifying coordinates? I took my ship to coordinates 80 : -25 and beamed down to the planet.

/whereami gives 80:-25:-169279263: 3:4 (edit: ignore space between ": 3", automatic emoji madness)

So clearly the first two parameters are the world coordinates. I see saving the game creates a world file 80_-25_-169279263_3_4.world. Running around for a bit and then running /whereami again gives the same numbers. /coordinates no longer seems to work. /debug shows me my position, but doesn't map against those numbers.

If i /warp celestialworld but change the last 3 numbers in any way, it gives me a new planet.

Unless there's a good reason, surely it would be better for "planet sharing" to just have the x/y seeds? I'm more curious than anything though :)

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

It includes the planet orbital and satellite number.

Im guessing you are on planet 3, satellite 4, so a gas planet with 4 satellites?

Looking at it closer, the possible last numbers are 2, 4, 5, and 6. Not sure why, my guess they are possible orbital "slots", given there are 12 possible spots a satellite could be on the navigation menu.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  3. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Are there also a maximum number of satellites that can be generated for each planet? Or could a planet potentially have all 12 slots filled?

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Each planet can only have up to 2 satellites, save for gas giants which can have up to 4. There are just 12 set locations around the planet on the navigation for the sake of randomizing them so they aren't in the same spots for every planet. That would look weird.

5. jwitch

jwitch Space Hobo

So the terms are x : y : ? : p : s

x:y give the system coordinates (not all coordinates are valid, they must be found in the navigation window first)
    ? is currently unknown
    I believe p is actually the "orbit ring" that the planet is on (e.g. if the first planet appears on the 2nd ring, p=2)
    s is optional. It specifies a satellite in position 1-12. (again, not all positions are valid and must be found in-game first)

I'm wondering what ? is. And what defines if a value is valid or not

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  6. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Lazarus already talked about the x, y, position, and satellite values, but didn't mention the middle value. My guess is maybe the universe's seed?

7. jwitch

jwitch Space Hobo