Wallpaper/Flooring Catalogue trick

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cassiead, Jan 3, 2017.

1. cassiead

cassiead Void-Bound Voyager

Its been floating around for a while (ex: here https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/5d9acj/wallpaper_trick/) but I didn't find a thread on this forum. Certain wallpapers have different item characteristics (light green wallpaper = prismatic shard. Purple with white dots = dinosaur egg-- only works in incubator, etc). I found that the horizontal warm wood flooring is a daffodil and the horizontal ombre red wallpaper is a dagger. A series of other wallpapers also appear as artifacts but cannot be donated. Does anyone know any others?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

?

How does this work? Can you make a video?

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

What? That's... an interesting bug xD

I have never heard about this before.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Interesting. I wonder which wallpaper is the palm fossil. :sneaky:

• Eikos

Eikos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've heard of it since it was added to the wiki a couple days ago. Here it is: http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Catalogue

If I understand correctly the wallpapers have a certain data value that rolls over and overlaps with other existing items so the game treats them the same way in certain instances. For example, there's a certain wallpaper that has the same value as Prismatic Shard so you can gift it to villagers and use it to obtain the Galaxy Sword in the same way.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
            • LuthienNightwolf

Huh. Interesting, not sure I'll be one to exploit that trick though - I like the challenge of getting the actual items. >u<

Good to know though if things ever get desperate. lol

• _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

Because I have terrible luck and hate fishing, when I heard about the bug, and watched the video ( There is a video for it, but I forgot where I first saw it ) I did test it as soon as I remembered to do so. It works, for both the deep purple-blue one with light colored dots, and the light green wallpapers. I really hope they don't remove that, because, well, fishing is probably the easiest way to find the Dino egg, but I'm terrible at fishing and hate it, and my luck is never good enough to find either the hard or the egg, so.. I probably wouldn't be getting either of those things normally.

• cassiead

cassiead Void-Bound Voyager

Best way to find out is to plop the wallpapers on a table in your house. I know some other flooring is a diamond node, another wallpaper is a horseradish, etc. Some of them also show up as random textures, like a tile of little leaves.

• LuthienNightwolf

Okay I want to try this now. lol

• Eikos

Eikos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm... guess it doesn't work for all instances. Just tried putting a wallpaper-diamond into a crystallarium but it wouldn't accept it. Can't find a way to mine a wallpaper-diamond node either. Oh, well. There goes my get-rich-quick scheme :D

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Yeah, sorry, I can't do this. This kinda stuff just kills my interest in games for some reason.

But awesome find!

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I also would rather not look at this too closely-- I agree with some of the other posters here that this kind of exploit takes a lot out of the game. I hope if these findings are true that CA will consider patching them at his earliest opportunity.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I'm not going to use these exploits either, where's the fun in grabbing a wallpaper and throw it at the pillars? No, I wanna go down in the skull cavern and find a prismatic shard the legit way, because it's fun!
                            It's fun to work for things, it's fun to search for things. This just feels like straight up cheating. Personally not into that.

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

There's also a youtube video on this bug:

• _PandorasBox_

Considering people make mods to cheat in items, I don't think it would matter if it was patched. And I only know of the two working, and even if the others work, not many are going to be using this.

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Guilty as charged :)

• _PandorasBox_

Nothing wrong with it :p Just wouldn't make sense to patch something like this, when people are going to do it anyways, and possibly corrupt their save from using mods incorrectly when this seems like a safer thing

Surenu likes this.
                                    • Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Entirely correct. I love Stardew Valley for a number of reasons, and the fact that I do not have to compete with other players is one of them. I love how I get to play the game in my pace and the way I want, so this really is, as you rightfully said, not that bad of an issue.

_PandorasBox_ likes this.
                                      • LuthienNightwolf

"It would seem our farmer has more magical abilities than we previously assumed...they're over there making prismatic shards out of wallpaper!"

- Someone in the village

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Not the most unreasonable thing they'd say.
                                          "Hey, this dude has been giving me free stuff for about two years right now. I will now marry him which will totally show that I'm not a golddigger at all."