1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help VPS Server Error Opening File universe.chunks Permission denied

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by GreatEvilBetty, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Hi there.

I have a VPS/VDS server running ubuntu 16.04-LTS x64 and I am trying to import my single-player universe to my multiplayer server, primarily my "home" world where I have my farms and crafting structures.

I use WinSCP to move all of the files in my steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\universe folder on my desktop to the appropriate ./storage/universe directory on the server, but when I go to run starbound_server I get this error:

Code:
    [09:44:14.197] [Error] Fatal Exception caught: (IOException) Error opening file '../storage/universe/universe.chunks', error: Permission denied
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star13StarExceptionC1EPKcNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE+0x66) [0x960f36]
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star11IOException6formatIJPKcPcEEES0_S3_DpRKT_+0x6e) [0x9677de]
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star4File5fopenEPKcNS_6IOModeE+0x11f) [0x96614f]
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star4File4openENS_6IOModeE+0x60) [0x8af6b0]
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star4File4openERKNS_6StringENS_6IOModeE+0xb0) [0x8afdd0]
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star23CelestialMasterDatabaseC2ENS_5MaybeINS_6StringEEE+0x3171) [0xa06f81]
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star14UniverseServerC2ERKNS_6StringE+0xba0) [0xec0190]
    ./starbound_server(main+0x1fc) [0x8436cc]
    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf0) [0x7f59ee359830]
    ./starbound_server() [0x84da6c]
    Caught at:
    ./starbound_server(_ZN4Star14fatalExceptionERKSt9exceptionb+0x42) [0x963232]
    ./starbound_server(main+0x7ef) [0x843cbf]
    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf0) [0x7f59ee359830]
    ./starbound_server() [0x84da6c] 
    If I delete the universe.chunks file the server starts properly, however everything I had done on any of the planets I had previously visited is reset.

I am very new to using ubuntu terminal(like, I started doing this yesterday) and I have been searching help threads all over the place since last night with no luck.

The two tutorials I am using to set up my server are the official LinuxServerSetup to get it up and running, and Starbound Dedicated Server with SteamWorkshop Tutorial so that I can use the server with mods.

Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if you need any other information.

2. Okay I figured it out.

Here is what I did for future reference.

First off. The user I was logged in as needed to be in sudoers file. So when logged in as root I ran
    Code:
    visudo
    In the editor after the line that says
    Code:
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL
    I added a line
    Code:
    user ALL=(ALL) ALL
    ctrl+x to exit the editor.

Next I logged back in as the user I am running the server as, then navigated to the universe.chunks file and ran
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x universe.chunks
    Next I cd back to the main directory and ran
    Code:
    sudo chown -R $user:$user /home/$user/$dir
    Where $user is the user you are running the server as and $dir is the main directory where all of the Steam files are installed.

And that seemed to do it.