Void Eggs and other help (Switch Version)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rikkih2o, Nov 20, 2017.

1. rikkih2o

rikkih2o Void-Bound Voyager

I would like the witch to give me a void egg, but just found out her ex sealed her house door. Dumb question, but I'm going to have to open that door first, aren't I? How do I go about doing that?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Nope, the witch is a random event that can happen any evening that another event (like the meteor or fairy) isn't happening, in which you own a coop that has at least one chicken that has laid an egg. She's got a flying broom, makes sealing the ground entrance rather moot.

There's another source of void eggs in the game. Korobus in the sewer has them available for sale. Then you can incubate it and hatch a void chicken.

• MsMeiriona

MsMeiriona Phantasmal Quasar

Much easier to just buy the void egg, if you ask me. I mean, once you get the sewers open.

• Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

The travelling cart is also a place you can sometimes find Void eggs they are considerably cheaper from her I got one on my current play thru for less than 400.

• Transmatrix

Transmatrix Seal Broken

I got lucky: about a month after building my coop, I was visited by the witch. I've had a Void Chicken for so long that I'm thinking of selling it... (I can always incubate another one)

• rikkih2o

Does it take long for the traveling merchant to offer one? In one of my games, it's been three years, no egg to buy.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Totally random, I'm sorry to report. She could offer one next week, or next month, or a year from now, or never. If she has one it's going to be a /lot/ cheaper than Krobus, but it's just going to be luck if one turns up in her inventory.

• ShneekeyTheLost

True, the Cart Vendor typically sells void eggs cheaper than Korobus (one of the very few times where the cart vendor's prices are actually reasonable), but korobus's stock is consistent, and let's face it... by the time you get the sewer open, you aren't going to need to worry about money.

• rikkih2o

In the 3 years I've played, I've never gone past 34,000. Where is all this money supposed to come from?

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Artisan products, large scale farming. I actually like being low on money though, it makes the game more challenging and fun in my opinion.

• Cubacca

Cubacca Master Chief

My first void egg I actually got as a gift from Shane about half way through year two just after we wed. Got a second from the witch very shortly after that, then unlocked the sewer shortly after that.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Let me show you a fairly conservative way of making a million per season. This is just involving the Greenhouse, you actually don't NEED to plant anything or have any animals outside of the greenhouse for this, so anything else is above and on top of these numbers. Also, these are by no means optimized, but kind of an introduction to greenhouse cash.

First off, you'll need 30 trees, either Peach or Pomegranate, and plant them. Each one, once fully grown, produces one fruit per day. Run that through a Preserves Jar, and you end up with Peach/Pomegranate Jelly worth 461g/ea (assuming Artisan, because there are no other viable farming options). So, 461*30 (trees)*28 (days in a season) = 387,240g per season.

But wait, that's ONLY the trees. Once they have fully grown, you can bring in six Iridium Sprinklers, and start farming the other 104 squares. The most passive method is Ancient Fruit, but I'm going to assume you haven't lucked into one yet, which makes the runner up Starfruit. It isn't as optimal as Hops, but it's less complicated, and obtainable in unlimited quantities as soon as you unlock the Oasis. So, after the trees and the sprinklers, you have 104 spots left. Assuming no fertilizer, you'll have two harvests of starfruit per season. Each starfruit seed costs 400g, but starfruit wine sells for 3,150g. Subtracting out your costs gives you a net of 2,750g per each * 104 planted = 286,000 *2 crops per season = 572,000 per season.

572,000 from Starfruit + 387,240 from fruit preserves = 959,240g per season

And what kind of infrastructure will you need to maintain that? I'm glad you asked!

First off, you'll need Preserves Jars for the tree fruit. It takes roughly 2 days to process preserves, and there's one fruit produced daily, so you'll need 2 jars for every tree, which means 60 preserves jars. I'd suggest putting them in a shed.

For the Starfruit, you've got 104 starfruit, but it only takes a week to process starfrut, but two weeks for it to grow. So, we need a keg per two starfruit, which comes out to 52 kegs. Again, I'd suggest a shed.

This is probably the least optimal setup that I would suggest for a greenhouse. If you have Ancient Fruit, it produces much better than Starfruit, if you want to be more micro-intensive, you can plant hops which produces far more money but requires harvesting daily and also requires a lot more infrastructure to support it.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I'm just kind of wondering how, after 3 years, you're not pulling in over 20,000/day even from casual play? Truffle oil alone can easily do it for 3 out of 4 seasons with about 6 pigs (I'll buy my pigs at the end of Fall so they mature during the winter and when spring hits, they're full on truffle hunting right out of the gate). I think the worst day I had I still managed to bring in about 2000 just from selling all the foraged stuff and fish I caught (Foraging perk makes everything Iridium quality, so more money when sold). It rained so no truffles, nothing was ready to harvest that day and all my jars and kegs were percolating.

One thing I love is going to the beach in the winter with my Iridium hoe and tearing up the entire beach for Winter Root. I can usually get about 30 of these from the beach alone... throw those into seed makers for Winter Seeds and you are full on farming all winter long! However, fishing in the ocean during winter when it's snowing... gah my eyes!!! I have to massively change the opacity otherwise I actually end up hurting my eyes! haha

• rikkih2o

No iridium yet. Or greenhouse. I tried something I read in thread about saving up items to ship. I do that for about two weeks and it adds up pretty nicely. I'm afraid to do Skull Cavern because I lose track of time really easily. And not just game time. I can't fish. At all. I'm not good enough to catch anything, so in my 2 year file, I'm only level 3. I'm using crab pots to help get fishing points, but it takes forever.

I don't keep 6 pigs. Is that a good amount to have? I'm playing my two year file and am getting ready to upgrade my barn for the final time. I just planted a few trees. I'll plant a couple more. Any other trees besides peach and pomegranate good? How do I get trees to produce in the Spring? Thanks for all advice I'm getting. You guys are awesome. P. S. Still no void eggs.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Okay, let's start with the basics...

First off, a coop. Four chickens producing eggs turned into mayo per day is 266g per day per chicken. That's over a thousand gold a day just from four chickens. It goes up to 399g per chicken per day once they start reliably dropping large eggs, which is almost 1600/day which is 44,800g/season. Just from four chickens.

Cheese from cows milk turned into cheese in a Cheese Press is even better, starts out at 280g for regular and 420g for gold-star from large milk. So with four cows, that's 1120g-1680g per day.

So that's around 100k per season, just from four chickens and four cows, which is bare minimum. Increasing number of chickens or cows increases per day yield, as long as you can keep them fed.

I have reccently posted a guide on bundle completion. Complete the Pantry bundle and unlock the greenhouse. Or just sell out to Joja if you like, you'll have all the money you need in a single season from the cows and chickens producing cheese and eggs.

From there, put in the 30 trees, wait for them to grow, then start growing stuff around them. Proceed to more money than you know what to do with.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

^ This.

Listen to Shneeky... he's the man with the Iridium calculator! :giggle: :geek:

• rikkih2o

Thanks for the advice. Also, I got my Void Egg! I have a 3rd game and just hit Summer 1. If I had spend a couple more hours in the mines, I would have missed it. Now I just have to build and upgrade my coop