RELEASED Visual Crossing Sprite Overhaul (villager+farmer) UPDATE: with No Bowlegs version!

Discussion in 'Characters' started by k2sync, Apr 16, 2018.

1. k2sync

k2sync Void-Bound Voyager

I'm now updating this mod regularly. Hooray! This is is my heinously ambitious redraw of Way Too Many Characters, and then a matching farmer so your player character doesn't stand out, and THEN a bunch of hair and shirts because why not??

Visual Crossing Sprite Overhaul
    For ContentPatcher
    Current Version: 1.5

A thorough makeover of all the villager, bachelor, and bachelorette sprites in the game, including Alt designs, a matching farmer, and a no-bowlegs version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check out the Development Blog!

Alt ideas, mods, feedback, and just straight-up fixing things yourself completely unprompted all welcome.

While you're here, you can also take a look at the VCSO Portrait mod!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    • tinkerbelljln

tinkerbelljln Pangalactic Porcupine

I love these! My only feed back is I use sprites right now that give the bachelorettes each a different dress for the Flower Dance Festival, which I'm reluctant to give up, as well as I'm not a fan of the huge space between some of their legs (that's not you that's the game) like they all look like they rode a horse for far too long lol but again, that isn't something you've done, that's how they look default too. But omg I love all the shading and color correcting and details and ugh these are just amazing! I especially love everyone's hair, looks sooooo much nicer! I don't really like Haley's bottoms, I like her in a skirt, but again HER HAIR IS SO AMAZING! And my feedback is just personal preference too, like don't take them at criticism even, because these are awesome.

• k2sync

The bachelors and bachelorettes all have custom flower dance and wedding sprites, each with their own design! I thought it would be nice if the player could learn about each one by themselves, so I didn't mention it.

I forgot the bow-legs art style isn't a popular one. Once I'm sure I've ironed out the bugs, I'll probably make that my next major update. I don't want to undertake too much because I get stress injuries really quickly since the time I first uploaded this. :p

I wasn't sure about new alts to make, so skirt Haley is a great way suggestion! I'll add it to the next fix.

tinkerbelljln likes this.
        • tinkerbelljln

tinkerbelljln Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh awesome! I love that, having the different Flower Dance stuff, so that's awesome! I will definitely be downloading the no bow-legs update lol cause these are seriously amazing.

• k2sync

Version 1.2 of the Characters and Farmer are released!

We now have new shirts and GetDressed compatibility spritesheets for the Farmer and a new skirt Alt for Haley!

I'll be moving onto bigger stuff like portraits, seasonals, and bow-leg edits now!

Kuriiyo and HopeWasHere like this.
            • paradigmnomad

paradigmnomad Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really like the edits you've done so far! So I converted the characters part of your mod to Content Patcher. I would highly recommend planning all future releases to support it as XNB mods are no longer recommended due to 1.3. Feel free to upload this to the main mod page.

Edit: Fixed version uploaded!
              (I was lazy and forgot Penny got a sprite update, I can upload another version tonight that ignores the added sprite)

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2018
                Kuriiyo likes this.
              • Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

These sprite edits are gorgeous. I'd love a no bow-leg version but daaaamn I'm using these already.

• k2sync

Holy crap, I had no idea. Thank you so much for cutting out the middleman and doing this for me! I'll get right on figuring out how CP works.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
                  • paradigmnomad

No problem! I'll have another update tonight for ya with the changes I posted above.

• k2sync

Thanks! By the way, I notice the code has the Alts built in - how does switching between them work?
                      EDIT: Figured it out by process of elimination. ...I didn't confirm because I'm living on the edge (and I can't read code), but. I probably got it right! Implemented the Penny/Pam edits while I was at it.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
                      • paradigmnomad

Fixed some stuff for ya! And I redownloaded the file to grab the new Penny sprite but it's still her old 1.2 one.
                        For now, I left the code as supporting 1.2's sprite. For 1.3 just grab the other file I've posted (above) and delete the `henchman` block of code and replace Penny's sprite. Should be good! Or you can edit this one, whichever is easiest.

Attached Files:

• k2sync

Why is it missing??? I definitely saved the edits???? Somewhere????? Thanks so much :cry:
                          EDIT: It's missing because I saved it to my files, but not to the mod conversion you gave. @ Myself whats it like being a living nightmare

[​IMG]
                          anyway, this is happening now

Last edited: May 10, 2018
                            HopeWasHere and Kuriiyo like this.
                          • Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Wow that Abigail is gorgeous.

• paradigmnomad

Did you get a chance to update the CP version yourself or would you like me to?
                              Also those look great!

• kabibblekitsch

kabibblekitsch Void-Bound Voyager

Ah, the Farmer Content Pack gives me a .json eror?

• Fyn

Fyn Pangalactic Porcupine

Same issue here. The villagers one works fine, but the farmer one doesn't.

Here's a temporary fix until k2sync can fix it themselves. They just forgot some }, in the content file, and mislabeled farmer_base as farmerbase in the content.

Also, @k2sync, you should add "UpdateKeys": ["Nexus:1942"], on the line above "ContentPackFor": { and below "MinimumApiVersion": "2.5", so that SMAPI will notify people when there's an update to your mod.

And one last thing: Henchman is missing a character sprite.

Attached Files:

• k2sync

I was just about to come in with a fix, thanks for your faaaaar faster address!! Same for your advice on the Manifest, added to both files.

The nonexistent henchman has already been struck from the code, though. :V My heart was in my lungs for a second

May as well decorate my reply with baubles such as these, so I'm not rendered completely embarrassing as a person.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2018
                                      HopeWasHere likes this.
                                    • Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

Just a note, on the version I had (the latest download iirc) there's a typo/spelling mistake in the content.json for Harvey's no moustache alt. :p

• k2sync

[​IMG]

• Kuriiyo

Kuriiyo Cosmic Narwhal

...xD

Basically it says this:
                                          Code:
                                                  {
                                                      "Action": "Load",
                                                      "Target": "Characters/Harvey",
                                                      "FromFile": "assets/CharacterAlts/Harvey_nomustache.png",
                                                      "When":
                                                      {
                                                          "HarveyStyle": "nomustache"
                                                      }
                                          Which doesn't match the png, which is named 'Harvey_nomustash'

So either the content.json should be updated, or the png. :)