Virorbs

Discussion in 'The Monster Monster Contest' started by thefluvirus, Mar 12, 2012.

1. xXFallenHawkXx

xXFallenHawkXx Void-Bound Voyager

This is one of the best submission I have seen so far! It seems like it would fit in nicely with a game like starbound you have my vote! :):love:

2. Maplestrip

Maplestrip Existential Complex

Posting again just to say I love the new stuff. The air/sky/soul virorbs have definetally improved and I really like the new ones. It's pretty odd though that the corrosive virorb itemporarily takes away your helmet, but meh.... Still love them ; )

3. Kelp

Kelp Big Damn Hero

These Virorbs are awesome. A nice change from your common monster which just wants to bash your face in. Adds some more flavour to this contest maybe Starbound too :up:.

4. Pandora

Pandora Existential Complex

My favorite part of the drops is the bubbletear goggles :D
    I'm a sucker for vanity X3

5. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

This is a fantastic and original idea, I think it would be a great addition to the game :)
    Balloon virorbs sound like alot of fun ;p

6. thefluvirus

thefluvirus Contributor

Thanks, I was sort of thinking of the broken-armour debuff from terraria when i gave it that ability. Considering that there will probably be a near infinite variety of helmets in the game, I don't think it would be a good idea to make a player lose it forever. Maybe it could just remain broken until you fix it at the space station or reforge it or something, but i don't know whether that would actually work in the game.

Anyway, new update, new sprites, new things. In the next update i hope to add the two virorbs aiMars gave me the idea for, and possibly an optional virorb mini-boss if there's time. The end of the contest is nigh, and I would like the chance to clean up the post a little before it gets judged. I seriously can't thank you guys enough for all the support and excitement for the Virorbs! I think i want to be a character designer in the future, it's so much fun!

Ribbit!

dagorran likes this.
  7. -Red-

-Red- Big Damn Hero

Ah, as much as I hate to admit it... I think you're going to be the one who's going to win this. :p As much as I like my own entry yours seems to have much more "magnetism". And if that same magnetism pulls in the developers as much as it has the other forum goers, well, it's clear the rest of us don't stand a chance ^^; Not that you don't deserve it, you've clearly put a lot of thought into this and like I said before I can actually see this in the game. So, if we all had to lose to someone, I'd be glad if it was you ^^ (of course I'm still hoping to win as well :rofl:)

thefluvirus likes this.
  8. Treeman4

Treeman4 Pangalactic Porcupine

You must finish it my good flu virus I belive in you MAKE IT MORE EPIC!!

9. Yen

Yen Pangalactic Porcupine

Every time I look at this thread it just gets better and better--incredible work <3 Amazing number of things that you've continued to add to this :D

10. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Can't wait to see what you have planned for the 2 other virorbs fluvirus :)

thefluvirus likes this.
  11. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

I really think we have a winner here, and a well-deserved one too! You have my vote. Your entry evolved in such a great way over time.

thefluvirus likes this.
  12. Eqlles

Eqlles Over 9000!!!

Absolutely brilliant! Kudos on a higher-than-most chance of success! These things could easily replace slimes! I mean, come on, slimes are kind of stereotyped by now... so many games use them. They're great, but Virorbs make much more sense in space. More sci-fi than fantasy, so just another reason to have them. Personally, I don't see how you couldn't win.

thefluvirus likes this.
  13. thefluvirus

thefluvirus Contributor

Thank you guys!
    I updated the post, this may be the last update, If I don't have time to finish the miniboss. Just in case I don't get it finished, I'll tell you what it's about.
    Basically it is a Virorb that is found controlling the mind of a human, and is accompanied by a randomly picked team of other Virorbs. It is found as a part of various quests, where an NPC tells you that their friend has been brainwashed by a virorb and is wreaking havoc. The humanoid is very fast and has quite a lot of health, so you would have to kill the other virorbs so that you have an easier time fighting him/her. When they have been defeated, they virorb on the human's head dies and the human themself is freed from their mind control and will become an NPC who can join you. [EDIT: Updated the post with this, I'll try to add pictures if I have time.]

The new virorbs probably won't get sprites, but I'm quite happy with how they turned out. Especially the steampunk one!

Ribbit!

dagorran, Yen and blind sniper like this.
  14. [wots]tehgadgetguy

[wots]tehgadgetguy Void-Bound Voyager

fluvirus, i salute your work, and i seriously hope that you win this contest. good luck with the devs. :up:

15. Maplestrip

I always hated vision limiting things, and therefore, I love them ;D

16. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Okay, just a little thing, but I personally feel it would better if the miniboss spawned the Virorbs. :/

17. Dagorran

Dagorran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yay, steam-punk Virorb!!! This idea just gets better and better! :ninja:

18. Symbiote-Mullet

Symbiote-Mullet Space Spelunker

So, what kind of lifecycle do they have? Is it along the lines of "If they kill a thing they have head-schlorped, multiple offspring incubate in the remains for a while and then spring off?" I like these kind of details.

I support this head-based contest entry!

19. Maplestrip

Good question. I guess that might be it. They lay their eggs in humans they kill and out of those eggs come young virorbs =)

20. Charlie

Charlie Aquatic Astronaut

very nice idea. Nothing can explain the amount of hard work you put into this o.o. Hopefully this is something that can be implemented in the game. I am also wondering if these virorbs will be able to be captured and used as pets o3o. Or mabey you can fuse a virorb with a sword or something and use the element that they have to your advantage.