Villager Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by powerdemon, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Last_Aeon

Last_Aeon Void-Bound Voyager

More MARRIAGE OPTIONS ARE YOU KIDDING ME! HOW HARD TO YOU THINK IT IS TO CHOOSE BETWEEN ABIGAL AND LEAH, HUH!? Its a good idea, but it is so gonna make me cry.

powerdemon likes this.
    • Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

More older guys would be cool, all the other bachelors are so young and in their teens. I want a man, not a boy. This is why I like harvey so much, he's a career man with a stable job instead of pipe dreams like Alex or still rebellious against their parents like Sebastian (I don't blame him though since his family is horrible).

powerdemon likes this.
      • Dillweed

Dillweed Void-Bound Voyager

Older men or ladies would make me happy! Its nice that none of the current love interests look like they're teens like in some of the Harvest Moon games, but the theme of "you can't date someone older than you" is kinda wearing thin. I mean you're clearly an adult, you're running a whole farm, you have a weapon, you can drink...need I say more?

powerdemon likes this.
        • powerdemon

powerdemon Void-Bound Voyager

I feel like Sam and Alex are still in High School with how they act, so I can agree with that :).

I agree that it's hard to choose who to woo. It also struck me yesterday, I've spent thousands of dollars worth of presents on the villagers. The best I get back is Demetrius sent me a nautilus shell I needed for a bundle :).

• Seajun_

Seajun_ Heliosphere

I find it telling that the OP was one of the most polite posts I've ever seen on a Chucklefish suggestion forum, and yet people reacted in such a toxic way.

I'll preface what I say by letting everyone know that I quite like the game, and that it is completely possible, and even necessary, to be critical of a piece of art (because games are art) or aspects of that art, while still enjoying it.

Anyway, I agree that Stardew Valley is sorely lacking in diverse characters. I've actually been using a mod that attempts to correct that a little (here's a link for those that may be interested: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/diverse-stardewvalley-harvey.109748/).
            And not just racial diversity, I am discouraged by the lack of sexually diverse characters as well. As a homosexual, I appreciate that I am able to romance any of the available bachelors, but I find it discouraging that my husband (whoever that happens to be) and I are the only ones in town. It makes me feel like the exception to a rule.

Now, to address some of the arguments I saw earlier.
            - It would be terrible to add a bunch of one-note characters for the sake of heterogenizing the racial makeup of the town; however, I don't think that's a risk, unless whoever writes these characters consciously decides not to write them as the other villagers are written.

- In response to the "It's a small isolated town" line: I see where you're coming from, but, no. I've spent a lot of my life in small towns in the midwest, and they managed to be fairly diverse. Not to mention small towns in California, which, as a coastal state, is more geographically similar to Stardew, are also quite diverse.

- Actually, wondering why we're getting a "realism" argument at all- is this not the same town where we have an honest-to-god wizard living in a small wood to the west?

- Finally, to the "it's a game, why not just play it?" crowd: your argument gets no traction on a game such as this. A large part of the gameplay is your interactions with the villagers; so the personality, racial background, and sexuality of these characters absolutely matters.

TL;DR I agree with powerdemon, and I think it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

powerdemon likes this.
            • powerdemon

powerdemon Void-Bound Voyager

Shooshy, thanks for pointing out that mod! It looks fantastic.

Seajun_ likes this.
              • TheLoreSeeker

TheLoreSeeker Phantasmal Quasar

This whole concept is really so very strange to me.

Living in Hawaii you come to accept everyone as equal.... but thats probably because we divide people based on their attitude and not on their skin color.

• Last_Aeon

Last_Aeon Void-Bound Voyager

Hawaii has more 10 climates, so its not strange to see a variety of skin color

TheLoreSeeker likes this.
                  • mollygos

mollygos Former Staff

This is a Stardew Valley suggestion thread. If you want to have a debate about racism or other serious issues, please take it to PM.

powerdemon and Dillweed like this.
                    • Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

I made a post wanting a black pic male bachelor and I'm white. But as someone said maybe make it like harvest moon a new begining where new people move in as you fix stuff up and etc. The businesses would thrive more there could be new shops. More marriage candidates.

• Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

They said they want to add at least one more bachelor and bachelorette. I personally want an Asian male since they are rarely being seen as LI or in a romantic sense, usually it's just about Asian females if you pay attention to the media.

• Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

That would be cool also actually. If new bachelor would be Asian hopefully he won't be stereotypical and be a doctor or something.

Jumboshrimp likes this.
                          • Royalyspooky

Royalyspooky Phantasmal Quasar

how about a boutique to change character appearance as opposed to befriending the wizard. It would add a couple npcs and make the wizard alter (sacrificing gold for things like relationship boost, better luck, ect) the wizard could finally get that apprentice(s) that hes always looking for. maybe a few more fantasy type characters much like elves and fairies (not just as random event).

• Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

I would elves and fairies to talk to in the game! Especially make a even bachelor and bachelorette lol

• Royalyspooky

Glad someone agrees maybe the forest next to the wizard's tower would be a good location for them, new "mine" area, fairy fountain, elf oak tree...

Destany89 likes this.
                                • Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

That would be cool. I've always like elves and fairies and other mystical beings like that. A fantasy game with those type of marriage candidates would be just awesome. Rune factory 4 comes close with the people with some monster quality to them.

Royalyspooky likes this.
                                  • Isegrimm

Isegrimm Void-Bound Voyager

Well all this escalated pretty quick and hard.

TBH i think more characters wouldn´t be a bad idea, especially to give some lategame goals, and from what i´ve seen in the game up to now i can not agree with some posts.
                                    Stardew Valley seems to be (like probably the whole kingdom it is set in) a very accepting place with not much discrimination, maybe even none at all (i still suspect the Joja Jerk to be behind the destruction of Linus' tent)

I like this idea a lot, especially because it seems kind of boring after you bought everything you possibly can/need, there is no use for money anymore,kind of. I would apreciate a landscaping professional, to maybe make your farm bigger, or the option to hire a helping hand as well.

That´s probably because they rank among the most beatiful creatures the planet has ever seen^^
                                    Asian guys are pretty handsome as well i have to admit tho.

I always thought Abigail would be perfect as his apprentice

Royalyspooky likes this.
                                    • Royalyspooky

I have to disagree with Abigail being his apprentice as it would kind of mess up her heart events (not like the heart events are amazing for any character) and her overall character. I think a brand new face would be for the best, probably a recent graduate from some magic school?(the wizard mentions the clown as being one of his classmates and the fortune teller)