Video Game Titles That Need a Sequel

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jtl400, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Jtl400

Jtl400 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Since another one of my favorite games of all time Dishonored, is getting a sequel and I've heard rumors of a new Bully game coming out which is exciting in itself. I have decided to make a short list of games that haven't seen the light of day for who knows how long and deserve so much more recognition and love there currently getting or ever will get.

I have been contemplating what games out there that could have a chance at having a sequel sometime in the future. Such as these many beloved titles I will be talking about today.

Also, i highly suggest playing all these games or at least the ones that interest you if you can get your hands on them. Mostly all of these wonderful titles are worth it. And let me know what games you think should have a sequel if i havent already covered it here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. L.A. Noire:
    First up we have L.A. Noire yet another favorite of mine throughout video game history, a single-player action adventure game that was released on May 17th 2011 for Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC. It was developed by Team Bondi and published by Rockstar. Sadly not soon after release of L.A. Noire Team Bondi shut there doors for the last time and only ever releasing one game that being this masterpiece.

[​IMG]

L.A. Noire which is set in 1947 right after WWII puts you into the life of Cole Phelps (Aaron Staton) a decorated USMC veteran of the Pacific Campaign, who returns to Los Angeles, California to live with his family while working as a Patrol Officer of the LAPD. As you progress through the cases in the game you keep getting promoted higher and higher as a detective and every time you get promoted you get a new partner who accompanies you on your cases and have varying personalities. I won't say anymore of the story but overall it tells one hell of a tale and sets up the setting and time period so perfectly that you feel like your there from the sweet 1940's music that plays on the radio while your driving down the street to the world around you itself.

[​IMG]

Away from story and aesthetics, this game was one of the first to take a shot at using facial animation and scanning with real actors. Why you may ask did they do this? Since this is a detective game that focuses mainly on interagations throughout the whole game, you need to pay attention to the suspects facial expressions and movements while asking them questions to determine if they did the crime or not and they surely pulled it off fantastically.

Overall L.A. Noire was an amazing game with a great story and incredible facial animation but sadly fell on its face when it came to the open world aspect of it and mechanics that weren't that well thought out and polished as they should of been. Still one of my favorite games of all time though till this day and in my book it needs a well-deserved sequel, like come on 5 years later and no sign of a second game in sight.. What a shame..

Moving on now!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Folklore:
    This is a very unknown title but one that i still hold dear to my heart, a Playstation 3 exclusive that was developed by Game Republic and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Folklore is truly a sight for sore eyes.

[​IMG]

Its a brilliantly told story about a girl named Ellen and guy who writes for a supernatural magazine named Keatz. You can play both sides of their tale. The cut scenes are shown in several different ways. One of which is a very interesting comic-book style. Each and ever cut scene is well done and tells the part of the story they are telling very well. Also may i add that the art style and concept art is fucking so well done and amazing.

In the story, there's a murder in Doolin, the Town of the Dead, and you must find out why there was a murder there while finding out about your past as Ellen.

Gameplay-wise the game plays well both as an action adventure game with RPG elements tacked on which works fairly well. But the combat system is fairly unique and sorta like Pokemon if ya think about it and is interesting.

What is interesting about the combat system is the distinct use of the enemies you defeat. For example the first time you take down the "horned bull" and absorb its "spirit" you can then attack using this spirit and the "horned bull" is visually represented during your attack a few feet in front of your character, visually this is very neat and like fucking Pokemon yo. Furthermore linking together combos from various spirits makes for some distinct gameplay that in my opinion far surpasses the extremely repetitive nature of combat found in games like Kingdom Hearts. There is allot of room for creativity in how and when you combine your attacks/spirits. The combat is very fun and beautifully executed visually, if you are a fan of fantasy styled visuals you will not be disappointed.

3. Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines:
    A very fun action-role playing computer game developed by Troika Games and published by Activision then released on November 16th 2004. This game has many options including its choice of picking what type of vampire you would like to be in the character creation menu in the beginning of the game and the game follows either a male or female character depending on which gender you chose who is killed and subsequently revived as a fledgling vampire to journey through 21st century Los Angeles to uncover the truth behind a recently discovered relic that heralds the end of all vampires.

[​IMG]

The game takes place in four main locations and a few smaller areas. The four major boroughs are downtown Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Hollywood, and Chinatown. Each neighborhood has its own particular atmosphere and appeal, from the types of snacks wandering around to the architectural design and street layout.

A wide variety of weapons--everything from a knife to a severed arm to a machine gun--are available to the player at various points during the game. While all of the weapons are broken down into two categories (melee and firearms) and, within the categories, operate in the same way, it's still satisfying to whale relentlessly on a horde of zombies. The auto-aim feature is good enough that 3rd person combat is possible, and your character's automatic movements on follow-through attacks keeps the action fluid but still easily controlled.

The NPCs are varied and well-portrayed. Prince Lacroix is a self-serving autocrat; Nines Rodriguez a freedom-fighting rebel; the list goes on with personalities running the gamut.

Certain aspects of the story change depending on which of six clans you have chosen to play as. The changes can be as little as differences in dialogue, but also as large as haven locations and mission requirements. This adds substantially to the replay value of the game.

5. Valiant Hearts: The Great War:

An epic tale set against a realistic take on WWI, Valiant Hearts tells the story of a number of very nice people caught up in the events of one of humanity's most pointless and bloody struggles.

[​IMG]

The way it fleshes out memorable characters using nothing but grunts and body language (the spoken word is kept to a minimum), Valiant Hearts is somehow able to take a war that was almost unbelievable in its abstract cruelty and turn it into a very human story that deals in all the feelings.

You'd expect a First World War game to be, well, an action title. Something involving shooting, and cover, and running, and bullets, and reloading, and health kits. And while Valiant Hearts does include some of those things, sometimes, the rest of the gameplay it finds itself saddled with splits its time between erratic action sequences and pedestrian puzzle sections.

I was nearly in tears within the first 30 seconds. I was in tears by the closing credits. That's partly down to the way the story ends but also because of Valiant Hearts' score, which throughout the game is able to take a cartoonish landscape starring deformed characters and make it a world that's constantly bringing strong images and feelings to your mind.

This honestly in my opinion is one of the greatest games of all time and deserves some sequel.

6. Haunting Grounds or Demento:
    Another strange but very well done horror title developed and published by Capcom on April 25th 2005 for the Playstation 2, made as a somewhat spin off of the Clock Tower series bearing similarities such as stalkers, a panic system, and hiding places.

[​IMG]

Haunting Ground has you taking control of Fiona Belli, a young woman who wakes up in a haze and finds herself trapped in a foreboding castle after getting in a car crash with her parents. Being imprisoned is reason enough to panic, but Fiona also later has to contend with constantly being pursued by a cast of unnerving and relentless characters. To fend off these odd balls what are you armed with? Well only your feeble kicks, shoulder attack and dodge move which really don't help ya that much. And on your way you meet a white German Shepard named Hewie will be your loving companion that sticks with ya till the end which ya can get him to attack the enemy, get items in places you cannot get to , and he helps with solving puzzles.

The graphics and sound certainly deserve a mention for helping to craft a sinister atmosphere. When being pursued the thumping music sets the mood beautifully, whilst the visuals are mostly colorless and bland, but definitely not characterless. The beautiful castle imagery, fixed camera angles and almost non-existent loading times from location to location definitely gets a big thumbs up from me as well. When you finish the game you get access to cheats and one of the options is to switch her outfit which there are some questionable ones.. I will let ya see for yourself:

[​IMG]

7. Rule of Rose:

Yet another pretty unknown survival horror game for the Playstation 2 which was developed by Punchline and published by Atlus, 505 Games, and SCE Japan Studios and released in 2006.

[​IMG]

Rule of Rose is set in 1930's England, and the plot revolves around a nineteen-year-old girl named Jennifer, who becomes trapped in a world ruled by young girls who have established a class hierarchy called the Red Crayon Aristocrats.

There's a mystery afoot, which Jennifer slowly unravels, but every time she takes a step forward, she's helpless again—subjected to quasi-erotic humiliations; bound, gagged, and doused with liquids; buried alive; and tossed in the Filth Room, which is where she thinks she belongs.

Rule of Rosetells its story in two equally eerie environments—a shuttered orphanage, and a ghostly airship—and through crudely drawn children's books and animal motifs. Early on in the game Jennifer encounters and rescues a Labrador Retriever named Brown that stick by her side and protects her by distracting the nearby enemy by barking. To go with the constant humiliation from the nasty orphans she has to protect herself from these strange imps and demons that are around.

[​IMG]

Where have i heard of something similar to this before... Hmm.. Haunting Ground!! There's legit fan art of a cross over:

[​IMG]

I hope you all have a good day!!

Finally here are some honorable mentions that deserve a second shot as well with the links to their
    Wikipedia pages:

Remember Me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_Me_(video_game)

Okami: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōkami

Murdered: Soul Suspect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murdered:_Soul_Suspect

Prey: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prey_(video_game)

The Last Of Us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_of_Us

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vanishing_of_Ethan_Carter

Conker's Bad Fur Day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conker's_Bad_Fur_Day

Little Inferno: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Inferno

Planescape: Torment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

Bastion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastion_(video_game)

Red Dead Redemption: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Redemption

Deadly Premonitions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_Premonition

Parrotte and Skelozard1 like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I might actually have to say the Thief reboot. It was a very flawed game that didn't live up to its namesake, but on its own it was certainly passable. And there were some features that I think marked a positive step forward for the series; bigger-than-ever hub world, collectible loot, repeatable missions, etc. It's just a shame that so many of the other design decisions overshadowed them.

The reboot would need to take many more cues from the atmosphere and design of the old games. Don't hit us over the head with how dark the setting is; keep it subtle and mysterious. Ditch the points of no return; make the maps large-scale experiences that can be approached from multiple angles. Forget boss fights; put important characters in the level, but let us avoid, subdue or assassinate them as we see fit without being railroaded. Keep the hub large; but this time, make it feel alive.

I don't know if it's too little too late, but it's not impossible to win back fans.

Jtl400 likes this.
  3. Jtl400

Ya the Thief reboot disappointed me so much honestly. But there still may be some fans around like you said.

4. krawky398

krawky398 Ketchup Robot

Hmm, it's a bit hard for me to think of some since a lot of my favorites are either parts of long running series or just didn't feel like they needed one, but I suppose I'll try.

Chibi-Robo! - Yeah, I know this has gotten multiple entries in its series after the first, but the Chibi-Robo series suffers from that thing where even if they nailed it, they tend to completely change up the gameplay formula. The original Chibi-Robo for Gamecube was fantastic, it places you in the role of a four-inch tall robot tasked with cleaning a messy family's house! Getting around the house was an adventure of its own, cleaning was fun, and helping the family and their living toys was nice and heartwarming.
    The sequel... had almost none of that. You get placed in a desolate park and are told to grow flowers and make the park not suck. It was pretty much nothing like the first game. The two 3DS games were also nothing like it, Photo Finder is just a game where you take pictures of objects and Zip-Lash is a freaking platformer. The only game that actually remains true to the original is the second DS game, Okaeri Chibi Robo, which is fantastic except... It's Japan-only.
    So yeah, in this case, the sequel I'd like is a Chibi-Robo game that keeps the core gameplay of the original game. It's a series at its best when you're playing as a little robot cleaning a big house with all of its eccentric characters. Sadly, the series might be pretty down the drain at this point, but a man can dream...

Kirby Air Ride - What can I say? Kirby Air Ride is my favorite racing game ever and shares the spot of my favorite Gamecube game with Chibi-Robo. Granted, I don't play many racing games, but you know what? That's cause none of them are Kirby Air Ride. ...Except Sonic Riders. A little bit. Kirby Air Ride's got it all, really. Simple controls anyone can pick up, three fun modes (including the ever beloved City Trial), a bunch of unique vehicles (Wheelie Scooter forever!), and some gameplay changers in abilities!
    I'd like a sequel for this just because it hasn't been on a thing since Gamecube and given it's a favorite of mine, I'd love to see more games like it. Hell, I'd even just take City Trial on its own.

I can't really think of much else at the moment. I was gonna say Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, but apparently that got a 3DS sequel in Japan only rgrhgrhgh

Jtl400 likes this.
  5. Jtl400

I only ever played the original Chibi-Robo for the Gamecube and still have it so i can go play it right now, one of my favorite characters was the little girl who always wore the frog hat. Also Kirby Air Ride was the shit back in the day and i totally loved it used to play it all the damn time, i would play that over Mario Kart Double Dash any day

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  6. krawky398

krawky398 Ketchup Robot

You wanna know the cool thing? In that previously mentioned Japan-only sequel, she's the adult of the house! Granted, she dialed back the frogs so she could be a responsible adult. I still really wish it wasn't Japan-only...

7. Jtl400

Oh my god really! Weeeeiiiird sorta but awesome!

1070777-chibi03.jpg

She looks better as a kid honestly... :rofl:

8. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Okami did have a sequel though.

[​IMG]

Heard it wasn't that good though. Haven't play it myself so can't say for sure.

I want Legend of Dragoon to have a spiritual sequel. I just love the combat of it.

9. Jtl400

I didn't know Okami had a sequel damn. I will have to look it up then thanks for letting me know. The first time i played Legend of Dragoon so i put it down and played other games then in due time I came back to it to give it a well-deserved second go and i really fell in love with it only thing i could complain about was the small inventory you had which apparently with the Japanese version had a quest that doubled your inventory space, you don't know how disappointed i was when i found that out.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Inventory is... not a huge issue in LoD... once you get, say, into about halfway through Chapter 2, you quickly start finding out that outside of bosses, you should not be needing healing items. Other than that one attack item you get from the story quest (that underwater lab thingie), you shouldn't need attack items. So you basically stock up on healing items, a few revive items and you should be good to go. Normal battles, it's all about spamming Defend to heal yourself every so often. Oh, and that overpowered item that heals you every time you get a turn. That thing is horrendously OP in LoD. Get Turn + Defend = 20% HP heal. It's like.... wut? how is anything supposed to hurt me now?

11. Jtl400

Eh maybe it was just me im pretty bad with inventory organization in any games i do now and always will i bet :rofl:

12. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Folklore, oh god. I spent a fair bit on it and then got absolutely stuck. Still though, if they were to remake it with the same style it'd be amazing.
    As for V:TMB, I guess it could be nice if they used an actual engine this time around, as opposed to the unfinished Source engine.
    I would love to see a sequel of Conker's Bad Fur Day. I remember them having made a remake of it where they had removed all the aspects that made it not child friendly, which struck me as odd as I don't think you want to have your children play a game where you shoot teddy bears in the first place.
    And then, Little Inferno.... Little Inferno... It's Little Inferno just for meee....
    I've got the fireplace that burns at a hundred billion degrees....
    Hehe...
    HeheheHEHEHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHAAA!

Personally I'd rather have remakes of Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun than sequels to games.

13. Jtl400

Remakes are good as well but some games that have had remakes they just completely ruined them so damn hard.

14. Chrillzilla

Chrillzilla Big Damn Hero

No idea for a good sequel, but a remake of Fallout 1 and 2 with modern Engine would be nice. Am afraid tho' it would be too big... by far.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That would need its own thread... "Games that need remakes with modern technology".

Fallout 1 & 2, Morrowind, etc.

Now obviously, I don't expect there to be lots of voice-acting in Morrowind (the NPCs would say 5+ minutes of dialogue and I wouldn't want everything condensed down into 5 second speech blurbs) but yet I WOULD like to see an updated map/inventory/combat system and the ability to actually play it on a modern PC without it crashing every 5 minutes.

16. Jtl400

If Bethesda makes a remake of Morrowind it would be screwing over the plans that Project Skywind has been going on for awhile. They have been working hard on remastering Morrowind into Skyrim's engine.

17. Zerukoba

Fallout Tactics if you haven't try it already is often a Fallout game that get ignored.

18. Chrillzilla

Chrillzilla Big Damn Hero

Sorry, i thought it over...
    Dune 2(000)
    Read only parts of "the Desert Planet" but after the freeing of Arrakis should happen a lot more.

I do know it at least a bit. What i want to see is F1/2 and why not Tactics too redone like F3 or F4. A real sequel in isometric or whatever style i would definitely play, too.

19. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

But it won't have some of Morrowind's most important features such as:
    • Combining of two spells to make something else
    • Morrowind's level of potion making
    • Being royally boned if you encountered a ghost without possessing magic or a silver weapon
    • A massive world
    • A massive volcano
    • A massive "Screw you" from Morrowind's RNG hit system
    • Scroll of Icarus' Flight
    • Someone dropping to his death due to the above
    • Scrolls of wind walking
    • OH GOD WHY IT'S A SWARM OF CLIFF RACERS, RUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!

Jtl400 and Chrillzilla like this.
  20. Zerukoba

People complain too often about this, I can understand why somewhat but they really overreact. Morrowind is quite impressive if you look at it as if it was a live action single player Tabletop game. Rolling the dice and missing is a common thing, more so when you try to do something you have no right in doing like using an axe as a mage. Skyrim is fun in it own way but being a godly jack of trades and master of all is so freaking boring. You never make any progress, you are as godly from the start as you will be in the end just with less options. Level scaling don't help whatsoever with that.

Morrowind hand made world is amazing as there are places you really shouldn't go until your character is strong enough. Hell the first official main quest is basically "you suck, here some gold now do something else like a guild and came back to me when you can actually do something" compare to Skyrim's "you are a dragonborn now, now go and shout things to death". I would really like Skyrim if it didn't have the level scaling and I felt like I was actually getting somewhere.