Viable Wine-casking strategy Hypothesis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chlorruption, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Chlorruption

Chlorruption Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did a little number-crunching on a strategy I intend to try.

According to the wiki, wine is meant to take two seasons to go from base to iridium quality. Long wait, but here's my idea:

20 casks per season, six groups of 20 casks. Grand total of 120 casks. Input wine into five casks per week. By the last five casks, you should have created a rhythm of five iridium-star wines per week.

I know I'm just replacing lots of waiting with lots of effort instead, but I intend to give this a shot!

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Only problem is if you're producing 116 wines per week (ancient fruit in greenhouse into wines) then you're gonna end up with a huge backlog this way. You'd need 116 casks per week for 8 weeks to get a rythm without a backlog. That's a lot of casks.

• Chlorruption

I figure I'd sell the excess as-is anyway.

• StrikerzRyan

StrikerzRyan Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if you can fit 120 casks in the basement. If you can, it's a stretch.

• Chlorruption

I'm partly banking on casks being place-able in sheds and such, but that's just the formula for 20 per month. 3 casks per week at 12 per month could probably fit.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Does casks really not work anywhere else other than in the cellar?

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Wiki and beta-testers say casks don't work outside of the cellar. You can put them anyplace, but they only function to age things in the cellar.

• Chlorruption

Nuts :c

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Well, that kinda sucks.
                    Is that a bug or is it intended?

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Seems like it's intended. The cellar /itself/ is part of how you age things like wine or cheeses. The controlled temperature, the humidity, etc. That's actually not too far from accurate, especially where cheeses are concerned. (Where the local fungi and micro-organisms also give a certain character to the process.)

• Chlorruption

Well, you can adjust to 96 for 4 per week or 72 for 3 per week anyway. Still intend to try.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I guess that makes a lot of sense. But still.

I don't think I'll bother with aging my wines, I'll just have a cellar and a shed full of kegs and call it a day.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Huh, I notice mead is among the beverages you can cask for improvement. That's interesting, and very fun to plan for. Beekeeping was always one of my favourite things in the game.

Probably take me a long time to work up to a cellar, but I do think having a few casks for 'special reserves' as gifts or for fun would be a nice addition. You're right about it being a bother but it'd be nice to have some premium quality mead or wine to give to people as birthday or holiday gifts.

• justme2

justme2 Contact!

I may go ahead and get another cow and another couple of goats for cheese aging purposes -- I'm running 60 kegs of wine in a deluxe barn (will probably move them to a shed and destroy the barn, unless I decide to move my pigs and sheep there -- pigs and sheep don't need much tending, just watch for the truffles outside and clip the sheep a couple times a week), so I figure 30 casks for aging and sell the rest as is will still bring in a fair amount of change on my current save, so I can use my new save just for trying out new farming strategies and wooing Shane and Emily. I'm currently running over 5million gold on my current save so I just need to get the materials for the shed, and probably more hardwood for more fences.

• ZeroMGA

ZeroMGA Industrial Terraformer

Is the beta aging speed faster than live version? Mine don't take that long to age.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

There's either a bug that makes wine age faster or the wiki shows incorrect information on how long it takes to age wine. According to the wiki wine takes two full seasons to age from no star to iridium star level and according to beta testers it only takes a couple of weeks. And I have no idea which one is true.

• StrikerzRyan

StrikerzRyan Void-Bound Voyager

I put a few in just to test it, expecting it to take 33 light years. I didn't go downstairs every day but they were done in less than a week. Weird.

• ZeroMGA

ZeroMGA Industrial Terraformer

I started my cellar week 1 of summer, and now in the last week of summer I just got my 4th load aged and sold, so about one lot a week.

Initially I thought that was kind of quick, but it feels pretty good. You've got your source crop grow time, then the time to turn it into a wine, then the week to age.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
                                      • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I suggest reporting it as a possible bug on the beta thread and seeing what CA intends in terms of actual time-frame for casks?

• Chlorruption

Back on topic, someone mentioned possibly fitting 120 in the basement, so we'll see if this hypothesis is viable.