1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Very odd performance bug... (Not ever recorded?)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by samuel vertex, Jul 26, 2019.

1. samuel vertex

samuel vertex Space Hobo

Hi,

As you know there's a ton of performance type threads but this one is especially weird compared to anyone else's.

So basically my fps went from 50 fps to 15~5 fps randomly. This fps is now constant on my main character, thus I made another character and my fps is a solid 50~62 fps smooth as butter. I do not recall doing anything major that might be the problem.

"How did it happen?" you might say, and well my answer is 'I have no freaking clue' i was in coop with my friend exploring a floran planet for the quest to be complete. We did the quest and nothing strange happened so far, then because of my short term memory loss (joke, but actually kind of true), I have not a clue what exactly happened after that. I know that I was at the outpost then my memory is all foggy after that. But it was at that point where the fps dropped massively (probably because i played it so late at the night and slept after). I would have remembered what caused it if i consciously did something, more like it was a random occurrence and i did notice it once i logged out and slept but I didn't take notice at the time of playing because i was focused on doing something in my ship.

When i started playing again i can tell you that menu is normal fps, when i beam down to a planet there would be 1 or 2 seconds of normal fps then 10 fps.

I do run a lot of mods, but I know for a fact it's not mod related. It can't be, because the other character was fine... I have uninstalled mods that i found old and might be related to performance but nothing affected my performance. Also, i don't plan on uninstalling all the mods because i don't want my main character save to be corrupted or ruined.

I have tried some solutions from other people that are related to performance but it didn't even do anything.

I don't plan on playing this game until i get my normal fps again. It's a shame if there's no fix because this game is amazing, especially with mods and friends.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Maybe a log will help? (dunno anything if logs can help but ye can try > w>)

3. samuel vertex

samuel vertex Space Hobo

Thanks for your reply!
    okay, i'll see if i could spot something odd...

4. Catherine Franz

I only lag (fps) if I enter a big building with tons of shadows on it or tons of NPCs (Rip G.card I guess)

5. samuel vertex

samuel vertex Space Hobo

you're probably right,
    i've looked through the logs. I compared the logs with the main character (with fps lag) and the other character (with no fps lag) and i don't see anything different. I guess my last resort would be to backup my save somewhere else and uninstall all the mods and try again.

6. Catherine Franz

Not trynna be hostile to the mod but do ye use F.U.? IT really lags your game a lot...(well at least for my potatoaster PC I guess...I do get 60 fps *v sync on G.card* on vanilla tho)

7. samuel vertex

samuel vertex Space Hobo

I have no way of confirming if it's F.U. i tried uninstalling all the mods but it seems it deleted my main character. Good thing i backed it up, huh?

8. Catherine Franz

Oh uninstalling F.U. WILL break all your saves/world
    They even said it as a warning on the front page I think...

9. samuel vertex

samuel vertex Space Hobo

Huh, then maybe with this information I could use this to rule out all the mods except F.U. so I could confirm if mods are the issue or not. Thanks btw, I might be getting close the solution with this problem. If it is mods then I'd consider myself stubborn cause I did say that I was sure mods were not the issue...

10. Catherine Franz

A'ight then

11. samuel vertex

samuel vertex Space Hobo

Is there a way to have starbound not crash when I'm troubleshooting with uninstalling mods an installing mods? Because atm starbound is crashing when i try to load up my world on my main character.

12. Catherine Franz

There are mods that destroy save files if you uninstall them...sadly I dunno anything that can restore those @ w@

13. Thaddaios

Thaddaios Space Spelunker

I'm running a pretty godly computer and I have the exact same issues/complaints. I can run any game at ultra settings and have a perfect 60+ fps, but for some odd reason Starbound is 30 or less. I also noticed in task manager that i get those 1sec gpu performance spikes every 1 or 2 minutes. Some say to turn off vsync and get Optimizebound mod then it fixes everything. I do that and i get major screen-tearing so that's not an option. I think there is just some issue with the optimization of the game. Wish the devs could relieve our issue sometime. Are they working on this?

EDIT: Okay so... i may have found a solution... i am not sure why it works for me but try running the 32bit version and let us know if this fixes your lag issues.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019