Vehicle Hangar/Garage to create, store, and customize vehicles

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Sneech, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Sneech

Sneech Void-Bound Voyager

I've spent a lot of time reading through the suggestion section of Starbound and up-voting a ton of great ideas. One thing I've noticed a lot of in particular are suggestions about vehicles. Lots of people are suggesting different types of vehicles including land based hoverbikes, water based submarines and boats, aircraft and mounts, the list goes on and on. In addition to vehicles types being suggested, there are a lot of popular mechanics for vehicles mentioned too like multi-person options, weapon and equipment attachments, and appearance customization. All of these ideas are so awesome and similar it seemed like there should have been a suggestion to combine it all into one super crazy system. I couldn't find that system. So I decided to suggest it myself! :idea:

Each players Space Ship should be upgradable to include a Vehicle Hangar/Garage that would be the go to place for the following list of features.
    • Vehicle Creation
      1. Type (Land, Sea, Air, Mech, Hybird/Transformer)
      2. Size (Small, Medium, Large)
        • Small (1 seat max) could be increased mobility for exploration and distance traveling with lack of armor and armaments.
        • Medium (2 seats max) could have more durability options or weapon/equipment slots with loss of mobility.
        • Large (3+ seats) could be used for heavy defense or massive weapon/equipment slots although very slow.
      3. Seats (1, 2, 3, 4+)
        • I initially thought this could be selected by a factor of vehicle size but then I realized there may be just as many people who want to play Starbound solo as do people who want to play with others. If large vehicles could only be operated by multiple people it would leave some content out for the solo player.
      4. Attachments (Weapons, Equipment, Fixtures)
        • Weapons - Weapon systems could be limited and unique for vehicle types, or I thought since the devs did such a nice job making all those unique weapons as well as the procedurally generated system you could have the ability to take a weapon that you have and "give it up" to turn it into a vehicle mounted weapon. Kind of similar to the printing machine. This would make those "This Hyperdimensional Flux Rifle I just found would be so cool mounted on my Ultrasonic HoverJeep" moments a reality.
        • Equipment - Want to be able to harvest ore while riding your tricycle? Add a drill. Non weapon equipment could be added but could take up a precious mount slot otherwise used for weapons.
        • Fixtures - These could include lights to see underground/underwater, extra battery packs/ammo packs to increase vehicle/weapon energy.
      5. Appearance (Color, Shape, Decorations)
    • Vehicle Customization - Modify vehicles you have already created or maybe found and need to restore.
    • Vehicle Bay Expansion - Using resources you have found you can expand the maximum number of vehicles you can store in your Space Ship and be able to store larger vehicles.
    • Vehicle Bay Upgrades - In order to have the vehicle bay always providing more content and new additions to players, it could have an upgrade system that uses the different types of ores found around the universe. This way you vehicle bay can upgrade along with your character as you find different ore distributions on harder levels. In the beginning you could have only one vehicle slot available to you that could be limited to small vehicles of a single type, and as you upgrade you can obtain the technology to build more, different kinds of vehicles.
    • Vehicle Schematics/Blueprints - In your travels you may come across Schematics that could also unlock different types of vehicle types or sizes etc. These could be simple parts that could be added onto a variety of vehicles or maybe a blueprint for an entirely new vehicle.

Hopefully I've hit on many vehicle related suggestions I've seen out there. This just seemed like a sold solution to make lots and lots of peoples dreams come true. As always feel free to add your own suggestions and I can edit the post to include them later!
    -Sneech

Jappards, Chexx, Albeino and 72 others like this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. NeatRipper

NeatRipper Void-Bound Voyager

i love the idea. a way to upgrade at least a bit the perfomance of the vehicle would be nice. example: upgrading a slow vehicle for it to be a bit faster or increasing the jump power of a mech.
    edit: a way of customizing the vehicle would be like painting to jungle camouflage or snow camouflage depending on the planet or just a way to personalize it more.

aprhend1 likes this.
  4. Goldstar

Goldstar Big Damn Hero

I love it, Some of the best fun you can have is adding goodies to an already cool toy. Vehicles are no exception.

aprhend1 and SPARTEN1337 X13 like this.
  5. WillKill3

WillKill3 Void-Bound Voyager

Absolutely a great idea to implement.

aprhend1 and MetalManII like this.
  6. SpaceHyena

SpaceHyena Zero Gravity Genie

I just talked about it a post ago. I really am forward to this idea. Everything but the vechicles have been told to be randomly generated(lol, almost). But not vechicles! It would be nice to be able to customize the vechicle you just made which took you probably a lot of work! Creating custom vechicles seems interesting too but id like it quiet simple and so not too complex. ;)

aprhend1 likes this.
  7. Cramdawg

Cramdawg Sandwich Man

This sounds pretty cool, instead of picking up new vehicles every time you go to a planet, you could store your favorite on your spaceship and actually invest in upgrading it and keeping it from being destroyed.

:EDIT: Also this would open up a huge new range of items, like some loot could be vehicle parts, or you could purchase them from NPC vendors or some planets. There could even be hidden black markets that trade for really OP vehicle parts! (as a downside, some of the black market vendors might try to rip you off by selling you junk :p)

SPARTEN1337 X13 and Goldstar like this.
  8. EnergyProExtreme

EnergyProExtreme Star Wrangler

Really awesome idea.

9. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

Hopefully this gets added. Great idea. Attachments shouldn't be overpowered though.

10. Stu and Improved

Stu and Improved Spaceman Spiff

All of my yes.
    ALL OF IT.
    (You had me at "Take your thing you just got and PUT IT ON YOUR VEHICLE")

Sneech and EnergyProExtreme like this.
  11. gallowsRenegade

gallowsRenegade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hm, maybe some type of vehicle like the one from Motherload? Going by size and game physics, you could mine left, right, down, could fly, and have one gun on it. However, it would be a one seater, have light to medium armor, and have at least decent health.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  12. ThrillzMUHgillz

ThrillzMUHgillz Aquatic Astronaut

This is hands Down The most phenomenal idea i've read yet throught any of the forum. PLS take this into consideration Devs!. no. scratch that, PLS Make this Happen!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Rainbow

Rainbow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

seems you have the same mind set as me. Me and my gaming group already have blueprints of our future starbound base, and we included a garage. If this isn't in the game at beta release, IT NEEDS to be. very important feature, since they are having vehicles, mechs, bikes (HOPEFULLY SKATEBOARDS).

14. Bonoshman

Bonoshman Big Damn Hero

You, my friend, are a genius. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to make an awesome suggestion to satisfy all of us vehicle fanatics here! Upvoted!

15. Goldstar

Goldstar Big Damn Hero

And Hoverboards, cant forget the Hover.

gallowsRenegade likes this.
  16. Legacy95

Legacy95 Void-Bound Voyager

:DD You speak what I speak, good work! Here have a cookie on me mate. :cookie:

17. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

A cool thing would be if you could build your own ships with special hull blocks similiar to what Tiy spoke of when he talked about building additional things on your existing spaceship.
    Would be simply amazing. :)

18. Legacy95

Legacy95 Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, everybody (mostly) has been saying exactly what you said! :paper::mspaint:

19. fabledClockwork

fabledClockwork Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes. Oh god YES. My neon pink boatbikemobile shall rule the the streets of X-2356 with an iron fist.

darklight437 likes this.
  20. Waddledoo12

Waddledoo12 Void-Bound Voyager

Good idea! Then I could make nice little remote-controlled flying spaceship with some Machine Guns one it, so i can take revenge on PVP servers (if there are any).

PabloElPuas likes this.