1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Vector Squared -- Starbound Community News, Issue #26

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by nababoo, May 7, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Greetings, and welcome to the 26th issue of Vector Squared. Last week, we covered the massive showcase of the race starter ships, the released login screen, and a roleplay server. Meanwhile, this week, we cover a variety of topics, none of which are limited to our half-year anniversary. Among other things, we’ll be showcasing leaked ores, reaching a million dollars in the pre-order, and a very informative livestream from Tiy.

Celebrate this achievement for Vector Squared with us -- prepare to dive further in.

Table of Contents
    Half-Year Anniversary
    Well, I’m glad to say it has been exactly 25 weeks and six days since I have published the first issue of this weekly. During that time, the small group of individuals I started with grew into the fine staff we have here today, armed with such great skills as they are now, reaching out and spreading our insidious influence across all of the forums.

It’s been quite the time reporting for you guys, and I hope to continue to bring a high(er?) quality web-based newspaper for all of you. So, without further ado, here are some comments from the staff regarding their time slaving away at their computers for you :p

Keeper: Writing for Vector Squared alongside Nababoo and the rest of the staff has definitely been a pleasure. It’s always a fun experience to compile the forum’s highest points of the week and present them to our community. That feeling that we’re doing something worthwhile is quite rewarding as well and when our readers thank us for mentioning something they had not seen yet, well, that’s more than enough motivation I need to keep on writing. Moreover, I feel Vector Squared has come a long way since its first issue. While our goal remains among the same lines (inform and entertain our readers), the way we deliver it has evolved throughout the months. And we most definitely couldn’t have made it this far without everyone’s support, so a big thanks to all of you out there.

WackyWocky: I joined the Vector Square team originally as an artist, but ended up doing writing instead. I usually didn’t like to write, but after writing for V^2 I got intrigued. I got interested. Now it’s turned into one of my most favorite pastimes and an skill I’m really trying to improve. I’d definitely say that V^2 has been an important part of my life. Through it I’ve met many awesome people, got a new hobby and had the honor to represent this awesome game and community through writing. I’ll take this moment in the spotlight to say thank you to Chucklefish for making this awesome game, to the community for being such great people and to V^2 for giving me this opportunity.
    It’s been a pleasure, and I look forward to another six months!

ReverseShadow: Being part of Vector Squared has been purely awesome for me. Its provided a major outlet for me to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes: Art. Every time a create a comic for Vector Squared, I do so with the intent of bringing a smile, no matter how slight it may be, to everyones faces. When I read comments about how my work has made people laugh, it truly makes my day. The Vector Squared team is an amazing and talented group of individuals, and I feel very gracious to be working with them. Here's a shoutout to all the members at Chucklefish for making all of this possible in the first place; Starbound has been one incredible experience so far, and guess what? Its not (even) out yet.

shardival: I’m the newest member of V^2 and it is a great pleasure to work with this awesome team. They’re a bunch of nice fellows who make really nice work. I’ve learnt many things, mostly about deadlines, thanks to my work in Vector Squared. I’m also quite happy that my illustrations are worthy of this fan-based initiative.

Strife: Writing has always been a favorite pastime of mine, and journalism a dream I’ve had, but it’s hard to find an audience. Vector Squared has been a nice outlet for those writing itches, and I’m thankful not only for this great staff for having me, but for you readers out there having been a generous audience.

Jonesy: I’ve always enjoyed writing about my interests. As a result, I like good video game-based articles in magazines and on websites. I guess it was natural that I took an interest in Vector Squared. Issue after issue, it never failed to impress. What’s more, I loved how much everyone in the community seemed to enjoy having a community newsletter, and how it was something for us all to look to and get behind. When applications for a new writer opened, I jumped at the opportunity. In the weeks since then, I’ve had a blast writing about the latest details, screenshots and milestones regarding our beloved Starbound. I hope you’ve enjoyed Vector Squared as much as I have, and I hope that we can continue to both inform and delight you throughout development, the beta and beyond.

Nababoo: It’s been a great time working with all the fine people that this forum has to offer. Despite my usual adversity to deadlines, this one has proven to be quite a persistent and rewarding one. Never did I expect the seed of an idea to grow into what it is now. Thanks to all the people who’ve been with us since issue number one. I appreciate everything you given in return :)

harnackam: I've been lucky enough to be accepted as the "Science Trivia" writer for V^2. It is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.;) The deadlines are hard, mainly because I didn't use to have any at all before this. I've always been interested in science and I think I am pretty good at writing these articles. (Humility -5 :p) I love being able to work with such a great team of amazing people. I'm always very impressed by jonesy's, Keeper's, and Nababoo's articles. I love shardival's art. ReverseShadow's comics are really cool(except I seem to be missing from this one...). Wackywocky is terrific at finding worthy art and describing it. I'm really looking forward to working here with these terrific people.

You’ve heard it. We aspire to bring you an overview of the important events in the community on a week-by-week basis in an accurate and entertaining matter. We would like to thank you again for staying with us and showering us with support every issue we release. Here’s to another half year! :coffee:

~Vector Squared Staff

Million Dollar Pre-order
    Early last week, the Starbound pre-order raised a million dollars! This momentous achievement was celebrated by forum users all over the site, and a small pixelated picture framing this success was given to the community:
    [​IMG]
    Certainly a cause for felicitations, and some forum users are celebrating it so, with all sorts of funny images and well-known gifs to complement the veritable parade that’s occurring.

Hopefully this will serve to assist Chucklefish in funding and focusing on their awesome games in development.

~Nababoo

The Good, the Bad and the Novakid Theme
    Howdy there, pardners! With the Novakids being Starbound’s most recent addition within the area of races, their own soundtrack was bound to follow.

[​IMG]
    Illustration by shardival

Delicious forum user Bacon was kind enough to share the Novakidian music with us in this topic right here. It’s amazing how the tune is able to satisfy two major aspects: It fits the Novakid Old West theme very well and still manages to be in tune with the Starbound vibe. Furthermore, one cannot deny that Curtis Schweitzer, the composer, is definitely a fantastic artist. If you’d like to know more about the man, feel free to visit his very own webpage.

Music is often overlooked by many individuals, but it’s actually a very important aspect in video games. It helps set a good mood and enhance one’s experience. Thank you, composers, for bettering Starbound for us!

By: Keeper

Tiy Announces Just About Everything
    A recent thread by frostybubbles has put quite a lot of things on display; things that have appeared in video. But what has been noted is quite interesting. Clocks, medieval armor and torches have been shown as decorative items. Equipment includes a set of Avian armor, a dual-mode painting tool, a torch and some kind of orbital bombardment designator. A death animation is also shown, which seems to consist of the character disappearing into a cloud of smoke without any apparent gore. There is also a item portrait of what appears to be steak (no word on bacon just yet). Also, Tiy apparently eats Cheerios.

by Jonesy

We Require More Minerals
    Forumgoer Radicool has come forth with an interesting discovery; an image containing the sprites for different ores supposedly appearing in the game. It is believed that the image has been leaked, but it is unknown whether or not this is the finalised list of ore.

[​IMG]
    Even so, the ores contained in the image are an interesting mixture. In some cases, it’s possible to guess their role in the game based on their real-life properties and applications. The first column would probably be used in crafting, and have both an ore and ingot of some kind. The second column may well be used as power sources (note that most can be turned into rods). The third and fourth columns also appear to be used in crafting (with most having ores and ingots as well), but is difficult to tell since the majority are fictional.

Several ore sprites are missing from the fourth column, despite their names being displayed. It also appears that steel, durasteel, omnisteel, kyrenite and impervium lack their own ore, hinting at that other ores and materials are needed to make ingots. There is also some sort of rectangular colour pallet shown to the left of sprites in the third column.

Some of the ore names also seem to contain references. Several are named after devs. For example, Rhodium and Kyrenite seem to be named after Rho and Kyren, respectively. Forcetrium bears resemblance to the Triforce from Legend of Zelda, both through the ore’s name and its triangular shape. Obtainium is a joke based on Unobtainium. Impervium is listed twice, which is kinda strange.

mollygos has also stated:

“Hey, just wanted to make a note that all the ore names are still subject to change!”

“It's okay.[​IMG] What's done is done. Whenever we show anything to anyone privately, we run the risk of it going public.
    It's nice to get feedback on the ores sheet anyway, as old as that particular image is.”

So, whether or not these ores will appear in the game under their current form remains to be seen. Even so, it makes for some interesting viewing.

By Jonesy

[​IMG]
    This week’s Art Feature comes to us from forumlurker Knitt’s background with an impressive twist on the Glitch! [​IMG]“Prepared for ANY amount of Octorocks! Come at me bro!”
    With a unique style and not-so-subtle hints towards the Legend of Zelda series Knitt has created a high-quality comicish background of an adventurous Glitch armed with a sci-fi-esque pistol and sword. The bright contrast and lack of colors really makes us feel like we’re looking at a snowy, windblown and mountainous landscape. What is this particular Glitch searching for? Tri-Force? Ruins? Cake? One can only guess.

Great job Knitt, we look forward to see more of your work!

- WackyWocky

[​IMG]
    Flow of Energy in the Living World

The world is filled with various organisms that coexist and cooperate with each other. They all need energy to survive, grow, and multiply. This energy, not considering rare exceptions, is supplied from the sun. The energy is supplied in the form of electromagnetic radiation. The earth's magnetic field redirects much of it and the atmosphere blocks certain types of it.

Plants/other autotrophic organisms use photosynthesis to take the energy of the visible spectrum and use it to cause chemical reactions between water and carbon-dioxide molecules forming sugar and oxygen. They use the sugar's chemical energy to power their biological processes. It only uses a small fraction of the sugar it produces. Therefore, it stores the excess sugar in its roots, stem, and fruits. It releases the oxygen it produces into the atmosphere.

Animals/other heterotrophic organisms consume the sugar produced by plants/other autotrophic organisms. (Some do this indirectly by consuming other animals/other heterotrophic organisms that have eaten plants/other autotrophic organisms) They use it to move, grow, and multiply. They usually have a higher rate of metabolism, for various reasons, mainly because they are motile. What that means is that they have the ability to move themselves spontaneously. In return for receiving sustenance from the plants they help plants in various ways. One of the most common ways is that they spread seeds to fertile soil the seeds could not have reached otherwise. Another is that animals make infertile soil into fertile soil by enriching the soil's nutrients, aerating the soil, and increasing water retention and composition. Soil is enriched when an organism produces wastes or when they die putting their nutrients into the soil.

~harnackam

[​IMG]

~ReverseShadow

[​IMG]
    Q: Ask us anything! We’ll be happy to reply.
    A: Go now, my slaves.

Closing Comments
    • Thanks again for this awesome half-year. We’ll continue to bring news developments, and hopefully not get delayed as much!
    • Also, I just noticed those... ahm, interesting titles that have been given to me. Haha. Good joke. :viking:
      • ~Nababoo
    • Also, sorry about that, harnackam. Just a bit busy with life and stuff... :cry:
    Staff
    Nababoo-- Lord Bacon McHam Von Porkchop Meatstein
    Strife-- ???
    Keeper -- Wordsmith
    WackyWocky -- Space Banana
    ReverseShadow -- Comic L0lcats
    shardival -- Legend of the Brush
    Jonesy -- He Never Asked For This.
    harnackam -- Science Consultant

Credits

Previous Issues:
    Issue #1 [] Issue #2 [] Issue #3 [] Issue #4 [] Issue #5 [] Issue #6 [] Issue #7 [] Issue #8 [] Issue #9 [] Issue #10 [] Issue #11 [] Issue #12 [] Issue #13 [] Issue #14 [] Issue #15 [] Issue #16 [] Issue #17 [] Issue #18 [] Issue #19 [] Issue #20 [] Issue #22 [] Issue #23 [] Issue #24[] Issue #25

Blue’s Fanmade Newspaper Archive

2. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

First! I'm cool, right?

3. [​IMG]

Are We Cool Yet?

4. AlphaMongoose

AlphaMongoose Ketchup Robot

Great issue guys!
    EDIT: inb4 sticky

nababoo likes this.
  5. LazerEagle1

So on-topic: What inspired you to start Vector Squared?

nababoo likes this.
  6. MachoBandit

MachoBandit Pangalactic Porcupine

That was a funny comment. I think I've seen it before on youtube, though.

Jonesy and nababoo like this.
  7. LazerEagle1

My sarcasm senses are tingling.

:p

8. MachoBandit

MachoBandit Pangalactic Porcupine

:cookie:

budsygus, Jonesy and nababoo like this.
  9. I was randomly reading around in the Corporation Forums of ages long gone, and I thought to myself, Hmm... there seems to be a definite lack of news. Welp, better get workingi

Spent the night thinking about how it would progress, and I got inspired enough to make it community-wide. The result: Issue #1 :)

Jonesy likes this.
  10. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

good issue. didn't know about the novakid music, it's a nice touch.

Keeper likes this.
  11. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

I vote Bacon for Vector Squared anyday. Bacon is awesome.

Derfpace and nababoo like this.
  12. A-town

A-town Aquatic Astronaut

While it could be a reference to Rho, rhodium is an element on the Periodic Table. It is element 45.

Endless Rain likes this.
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I never asked for that awesome drawing that looks surprisingly like me IRL.

14. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

I WON'T ASK A QUESTION!

Jonesy likes this.
  15. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

good work guys nice article

Keeper likes this.
  16. R3MI

R3MI Phantasmal Quasar

Another awesome issue of V^2 as always ;) I look forward to seeing another 6 months of great weekly content to keep me going! :)

Keeper and Jonesy like this.
  17. TehZodi

TehZodi Astral Cartographer

Surprised this isn't stickied yet. :eek:

18. Krytan

Krytan Phantasmal Quasar

I've always just assumed the color pallet in the third column was the read out from a container, or machine of some sort that is storing the material the darker the color, the more ore there.

19. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

The minerals image under a SPOILER! :saywhat:
    You almost got me there.
    Awsome job and congratulation for the half year anniversary.

20. harnackam

harnackam Ketchup Robot

aww, I feel left out...:(